[comp.windows.ms] EPS rendering on screen.

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/17/90)

I use Pagemaker 3.01 under Microsoft Windows. One of it's downsides is that
it does not render (on screen) EPS images. I don't necessarily expect
a text processing program to have a built in Postscript interpreter but
I was wondering if anyone knows of a Windows postscript interpreter that
uses DDE. This way, you could have a seperate program do the screen imaging
for you.

BTW, I sometimes import the file into Corel Draw, then re-export it to
an EPS file. Corel Draw will put an image header into the Postscript file
but Corel draw seems to fail on many of the images that I have tried with
it. It does not handle gray scale .PCX files, nor will it handle EPS files
with certain embedded fonts such as Finale files.

-jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) (09/18/90)

In article <1866@abvax.UUCP> jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
>I use Pagemaker 3.01 under Microsoft Windows. One of it's downsides is that
>it does not render (on screen) EPS images. I don't necessarily expect
>a text processing program to have a built in Postscript interpreter but
>I was wondering if anyone knows of a Windows postscript interpreter that
>uses DDE. This way, you could have a seperate program do the screen imaging
>for you.

EPS stands for encapsulated postscript.  the whole point of EPS is to
provide a `header' that can be rendered on screen in systems that aren't
capable of displaying PS (i.e. allmost all Windows PCs).  If you want better
on-screen display of your EPS files, the best way to do it currently is to
create a better header.  In coreldrw, you can control the header bitmap
and provide better quality (look in file/export).  I dont worry too much
about the on-screen display of EPS file since what matters to me is the size
and that works well enough for me in pagemaker.

It shouldn't be that hard to take an existing PS interpreter and make it work
as a windows `ps page previewer', though...  Its not something that I would use
that often since its likely to be pretty slow.

My opinions only,  not my employer's...
Phil

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/19/90)

In article <57507@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) writes:

> EPS stands for encapsulated postscript.  the whole point of EPS is to
> provide a `header' that can be rendered on screen in systems that aren't
> capable of displaying PS (i.e. allmost all Windows PCs).  If you want better
> on-screen display of your EPS files, the best way to do.

No, that is not the point of EPS. The point of EPS is that it is a self
contained "sub-routine" that does not change the state of any of the
global postscript variables. It also defines a bounding box size that the
host application uses to determine what space to allocate to it on the page.

Now granted, it does provide for a bit-mapped header to be placed in the
file for previewing purpose, however the preview is many times grossly
inaccurate. I've found when cropping pictures for example, that the bitmap
does not register exactly with the postscript, causing WYSINWYG (What you see
is not what you get).