[comp.windows.ms] Serial I/O

cox@software.org (Guy Cox) (09/17/90)

Would someone please post a code fragment on using serial I/O. I'm trying
to write to a Votrax in an identify the letter, number and shapes program
for preschoolers. The Votrax says things like "Can you find the letter A"
or "Find the red square" when the preschooler clicks on the correct
object praise is then issued by Votrax and a little tune is played by
windows. I'm getting the DCB and the open OK but the WriteComm returns
a -1 and the Votrax is silent. Any help would be appreciated.

--
//
//Remember; Tuesday is Soylent green day!

Guy O. Cox, Jr.
Software Productivity Consortium.
2214 RockHill Rd
Herndon, VA 22090
703-742-7219
cox@software.org

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (09/19/90)

In article <1630@software.software.org> cox@software.org (Guy Cox) writes:
>Would someone please post a code fragment on using serial I/O. I'm trying
>to write to a Votrax in an identify the letter, number and shapes program
>for preschoolers. The Votrax says things like "Can you find the letter A"
>or "Find the red square" when the preschooler clicks on the correct
>object praise is then issued by Votrax and a little tune is played by
>windows. I'm getting the DCB and the open OK but the WriteComm returns
>a -1 and the Votrax is silent. Any help would be appreciated.

Opening a communications port is really pretty simple.  You need to
open the comm port first (using the OpenComm call) and then you need
to set up the commDCB that will set the comm port to the proper
settings.

I've done it in Actor (and unfortunatly don't have the code and didn't
bring it with me when I left).

Hopefully what I've outlined will help a bit.
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.042039.25265@chinet.chi.il.us> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:
>Hopefully what I've outlined will help a bit.
[...]
>--
>"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
> as sweet."             William Shakespeare
>Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us   (708) 328-3800
>(Please note there are both a patrick and a patrickd at this site)

Good to see you're back.  What are you up to now?

How's nethack going?

Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@rascals.stanford.edu