[comp.windows.ms] Win3 lies to non-Windows apps about video

unbent@uncecs.edu (Jay F. Rosenberg) (09/17/90)

	The weekend brought time for more diagnostic explorations.  Herewith
the amazing discoveries:

	My video card is a Paradise Autoswitch EGA 480.  EGA is what I told
Win3 during setup, and *when running in standard mode*, Win3 understands
that perfectly well.  It comes up in EGA resolution; Windows apps run in EGA
resolution, and, crucially, NON-Windows apps run in EGA resolution.  Null
problemo, as Alf would say.

	BUT, *when running in 386 enhanced mode*, Win3 lies to non-Windows
apps about the available video.  It still comes up in EGA resolution, and so
do all the accessories and other Windows apps.  But NON-windows apps are
being told that the available video is CGA, not EGA!  That, for example, is
what Norton (4.5) says I've got in the system when I query it from inside
Win3 in 386 enhanced mode.  (In standard mode, Norton gets it right!)
That's the mode in which First Publisher comes up when invoked from Win3 in
386 enhanced mode.  (In standard mode, First Publisher comes up in EGA.)
And *that's* why Word 5.0 won't acknowledge its (EGA!) video driver as valid
when run from Win3 in 386 enhanced mode, although the same video driver
works fine under standard mode.

	So the question now is:  How do I get Win3 running in 386 enhanced
mode to tell non-Windows apps *what it itself knows perfectly well* -- that
the available video is EGA, not CGA!

	Thanks in advance.	-- Jay Rosenberg

--

JAY ROSENBERG  Dept. of Philosophy  CB# 3125  UNC  Chapel Hill, NC  27599
...{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!unbent         ...tucc!tuccvm!ecsvax!unbent

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep17.121104.18489@uncecs.edu> unbent@uncecs.edu (Jay F. Rosenberg) writes:
[...]	   BUT, *when running in 386 enhanced mode*, Win3 lies to non-Windows
   apps about the available video.  It still comes up in EGA resolution, and so
   do all the accessories and other Windows apps.  But NON-windows apps are
   being told that the available video is CGA, not EGA!  That, for example, is
   what Norton (4.5) says I've got in the system when I query it from inside
   Win3 in 386 enhanced mode.  (In standard mode, Norton gets it right!)
   That's the mode in which First Publisher comes up when invoked from Win3 in
   386 enhanced mode.  (In standard mode, First Publisher comes up in EGA.)
   And *that's* why Word 5.0 won't acknowledge its (EGA!) video driver as valid
   when run from Win3 in 386 enhanced mode, although the same video driver
   works fine under standard mode.

No help (sorry), but a note that I have had the same kind of problems:
I have a Video7 VGA card (max 640x480x256 on my monitor) on my 386; when
running non-windows graphics applications from Windows, they somehow get
misinformed about the available video card - thus my max resolution becomes
320x200x256 !  Kinda disappointing...
--
* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 2400/1200/300) *

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/20/90)

> No help (sorry), but a note that I have had the same kind of problems:
> I have a Video7 VGA card (max 640x480x256 on my monitor) on my 386; when
> running non-windows graphics applications from Windows, they somehow get
> misinformed about the available video card - thus my max resolution becomes
> 320x200x256 !  Kinda disappointing...
> --

On my machine using ATI VGA Wonder 512K the graphics program in each DOS
session can run at whatever resolution they care to drive the card at.
I am running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode at 800x600x16 colors
resolution.

I don't know exactly what Windows 3.0 inform the individual DOS session
of the max resolution. But I sure can run any resolution with programs
like VPIC. I did notice that anything > 320x200x256 cannot be started
from a windowed DOS session. Windows will suspend them. But once I change
that to full screen, there is no problem. The VGA Wonder does have a
VDDVGA.386 virtual display driver which I use in place of the standard
VGA virtual display driver.

ATI VGA Wonder is a great card. Too bad ATI is too slow in getting drivers
to the end users and the service line is really bad. Even this month's
PC Magazine rates the service of ATI as poor ! Nevertheless, I think I'll
keep my ATi VGA Wonder.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>