[comp.windows.ms] C++ handle on Zortech and Glockenspiel

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/18/90)

> At a certain point a menu is loaded with the statement
>  Wm1 = new WMenu(TopWin,"menudef");     // (or something)
>
> Looking at the .RC file, only a MenuDef is defined. Since loading the menu
> turns out to be case sensitive, the menu is not found.
> The error handling Zortech implemented was not very elegant: it gives a
> fatal error and the screen may freeze.

Well, I supposed you can hardly blame Zortech for this since it boils
down to using "unexported" resource. And we all know that Windows gets
totally confused in such situation. Okay, may be blame it on Microsoft's
linker if you must blame somebody  :-). Once compilation is done, everything
is handed off to the linker and there is nothing the compiler can do
beyond that point.

> Edit your .rc file and you'll be doing OK.
>
> I reported this bug to Zortech.

Thanks ! So, that's why my version of ZTC++'s Windows example worked
fine  :-).

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

chiu@efi.com (Chan Chiu) (09/19/90)

I am in the process of selecting a C++ compiler/translator for
MS/Windows development project.

Can anyone with experiences on Zortec and Glockenspiel explain how
"handle" works in C++ class in Zortech and CommonView libraries ?

In particular, I like ti know if handle in those two libraries
require "explicit" dereference. Or, do all handle-based object
derived from a "handle-class" which overloads dereferncing so I
don't have to worry about (i.e. transparent to developers).
In nutshell, I want to avoid, in my C++ program, derefernce a
handle to a pointer.

If you have made your decision to use one the above two C++
compiler/translater, I will also like to know why.

Thanks.

/Chan

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep18.185153.640@efi.com> chiu@efi.com (Chan Chiu) writes:
<Can anyone with experiences on Zortec and Glockenspiel explain how
<"handle" works in C++ class in Zortech and CommonView libraries ?

In Zortech C++, it works just as it works in C, i.e. it requires explicit
handling.

<In particular, I like ti know if handle in those two libraries
<require "explicit" dereference. Or, do all handle-based object
<derived from a "handle-class" which overloads dereferncing so I
<don't have to worry about (i.e. transparent to developers).

Sorry, but no.

<In nutshell, I want to avoid, in my C++ program, derefernce a
<handle to a pointer.

Actually, there is good news. With Win3, you can pretty much forget about
using handle memory anyway. This restricts you to standard or enhanced mode.
But are you really developing applications for XTs?