[comp.windows.ms] Re^2: beware of Micrografx Designer 3.0!!!!

bnathan@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Bob Nathan) (09/20/90)

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:

>In article <615@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM>, bnathan@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM
>(Bob Nathan) writes:
>|>...  I just had my disk
>|>trashed, and all I was running was MASM 5.1.  Of course, it is possible

>I'm curious. Every now and then someone posts "my disk got trashed
>and I think Windows did it."  What do you mean by "trashed"?  Was a file
>damaged?  Was the FAT or boot sector damaged?  When did you detect the
>problem -- immediately or when you tried to access the file that was damaged
>or whatever? What error messages did you get (sector not found?)? How
>did you fix the damage?

In my case, Windows popped up with the message "application violation".
The only application, as I said, was MASM, so after bringing down WIN,
(being a naturally cautious individual) I ran CHKDSK, which reported all
sorts of cross-links, lost clusters, bad file links, and so forth, totalling
about 50% of my disk files.  Since I had recently backed up by disk to tape,
I simply reformatted the thing, and restored.  I only lost a few temporary
working files from that day.  No catastrophe, but nonetheless, annoying.

Bob.Nathan@Atlanta.NCR.COM