[comp.windows.ms] Bug was NOT in Screen Peace |?

LK-AP@finou.oulu.fi (09/17/90)

Hello again,
    I wrote last week about bug in Screen Peace v 1.2 screen saver.
    I got many answers, thanks to You all.

    I forgot to tell, that used HDC EXPRESS as a shell. (HDS's screen
    saver option disabled.) I made some tests and now i am convinced
    that there is a BUG IN HDC EXPRESS. Specially when used as a shell
    from system.ini  I think Express made some conflicts also with WFW's
    disk I/O, because i was faced same "thrown out of Windows -broblem"
    twice before without Screen Peace. -Nah, HDC Express was slow anyway.
    I think I'll give up Express and wait that promising new product what
    makes "Mac interface for Windows" (I saw the demo from CICA.CICA...
    maybe the name was CBM ??).
                                                      Have a nice day,
-------
|-------------------------|---------------------------------|
| Mr Antti Peltonen       | Internet: lk-ap at finou.oulu.fi|
| University of Oulu      | Bitnet:   lk-ap at finou.bitnet |
| Computer Services Centre|                                 |
| Linnanmaa               |                                 |
| SF 90570 OULU  FINLAND  |                                 |
|-------------------------|---------------------------------|

brad@cup.portal.com (Paul B Anders) (09/18/90)

Mr Antti Peltonen writes :

>Hello again,
>    I wrote last week about bug in Screen Peace v 1.2 screen saver.
>    I got many answers, thanks to You all.
>
>    I forgot to tell, that used HDC EXPRESS as a shell. (HDS's screen
>    saver option disabled.) I made some tests and now i am convinced
>    that there is a BUG IN HDC EXPRESS. Specially when used as a shell
>    from system.ini  I think Express made some conflicts also with WFW's
>    disk I/O, because i was faced same "thrown out of Windows -broblem"
>    twice before without Screen Peace. -Nah, HDC Express was slow anyway.
>    I think I'll give up Express and wait that promising new product what
>    makes "Mac interface for Windows" (I saw the demo from CICA.CICA...
>    maybe the name was CBM ??).

The problem as described before was :

1.	SP 1.2 running as icon
2.	Open File Manager ( or Open File from WFW, Write, etc. ), and
	try to access drive a: without a disk in the drive
3.	Get error message, click on "Cancel"
4.	System locks up.

I also am using SP 1.2 as an icon, HDC Express ( as the shell from
system.ini ) with the screen saver option disabled, and have no problem
with clicking "Cancel" from any application when trying to access a non-
existant disk in drive a:

I have this setup on two systems. One system is an Intel 302 386/25 system,
with 8MB RAM, Paradise VGA+16, the other is an IBM PC/AT w/ and Intel
Inboard 386, w/ various RAM boards, Paradise VGA+16.

Could you please describe your system setup? There seem to be some users with
the problem you describe, and about the same number without the problem. Maybe
there is a specific video card or system component that is sensitve to the
problem.

Brad
brad@cup.portal.com

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (09/18/90)

In article <33995@cup.portal.com> brad@cup.portal.com (Paul B Anders) writes:
>The problem as described before was :
>1.	SP 1.2 running as icon
>2.	Open File Manager ( or Open File from WFW, Write, etc. ), and
>	try to access drive a: without a disk in the drive
>3.	Get error message, click on "Cancel"
>4.	System locks up.

To try to resolve this debate, I actually (gasp!) read the documentation
which came with Screen Peace.  It says in there that the author found out
about that bug, feels very bad about releasing the program with that bug
in there, and has since fixed it.  The version currently on
cica.cica.indiana.edu does NOT have this problem.  I don't think it has
anything to do with system setup or the like...

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/18/90)

In article <33995@cup.portal.com> brad@cup.portal.com (Paul B Anders) writes:
>Mr Antti Peltonen writes :
>
>>Hello again,
>>    I wrote last week about bug in Screen Peace v 1.2 screen saver.
>>    I got many answers, thanks to You all.
>>
>>    I forgot to tell, that used HDC EXPRESS as a shell. (HDS's screen
>>    saver option disabled.) I made some tests and now i am convinced
>>    that there is a BUG IN HDC EXPRESS. Specially when used as a shell
>>    from system.ini  I think Express made some conflicts also with WFW's
>>    disk I/O, because i was faced same "thrown out of Windows -broblem"
>>    twice before without Screen Peace. -Nah, HDC Express was slow anyway.
>>    I think I'll give up Express and wait that promising new product what
>>    makes "Mac interface for Windows" (I saw the demo from CICA.CICA...
>>    maybe the name was CBM ??).
>
>The problem as described before was :
>
>1.	SP 1.2 running as icon
>2.	Open File Manager ( or Open File from WFW, Write, etc. ), and
>	try to access drive a: without a disk in the drive
>3.	Get error message, click on "Cancel"
>4.	System locks up.
>
>I also am using SP 1.2 as an icon, HDC Express ( as the shell from
>system.ini ) with the screen saver option disabled, and have no problem
>with clicking "Cancel" from any application when trying to access a non-
>existant disk in drive a:
>
>I have this setup on two systems. One system is an Intel 302 386/25 system,
>with 8MB RAM, Paradise VGA+16, the other is an IBM PC/AT w/ and Intel
>Inboard 386, w/ various RAM boards, Paradise VGA+16.
>
>Could you please describe your system setup? There seem to be some users with
>the problem you describe, and about the same number without the problem. Maybe
>there is a specific video card or system component that is sensitve to the
>problem.

I second this, I cannot duplicate the Screen Peace problem mentioned in a

BTW, look for a REAL NEAT Screen Peace saver module from me real soon now. I am
testing it thoroughly for a few days. Please e-mail if there is interest (Not
sure how popular Screen Peace is because of the bad rap it has gotten lately.)

I will probably upload to to cica.cica.indiana.edu, and submit it to c.b.i.p.
If there is enough interest, and nobody objects, perhaps I will post it here.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

jml00458@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jean Michael Liddle) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.160813.28084@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:

>I second this, I cannot duplicate the Screen Peace problem mentioned in a

Taken from the scrnpeac.doc file:

[1.2 Screen Peace 1.2 additions]

   Lots of bugs fixed!

      2. The problem with non-readable disks is fixed (if this happened to
         you, you probably clicked on a floppy drive icon in the program
         manager when there was no disk in the drive). This was a bad
         bug and I apologize for releasing Screen Peace with it there. I
         hope it didn't cause any major problems. The cause, in case you're
         interested was a call to the C library time() function in a bad
         place. Anyway, the DLL is about half its previous size.

The bug has been fixed in V 1.2 available from cica.cica.indiana.edu.  I'm
using SCREANPEACE and am delighted with it.  It has not interfered with any
downloading I've been doing (and at 2400 baud it sometimes takes long
enough for the screen saver to kick in), nor have I had any problems when
I've tried to read a nonexistent disk in drive a:.

Related to the nonexistent disk issue though, I have spotted what I
believe to be a small, annoying, but thus far harmless bug in MS Windows.
When trying to read an empty drive A: or write to a write protected
diskette from a DOS Window I suddenly get kicked into the FULL SCREEN
setting (i.e. my DOS Window is no longer a window ...) with the usual
prompt "abort, retry, fail ...".  Anyone else experience this?

>BTW, look for a REAL NEAT Screen Peace saver module from me real soon now. I am
>testing it thoroughly for a few days. Please e-mail if there is interest (Not
>sure how popular Screen Peace is because of the bad rap it has gotten lately.)
>
>I will probably upload to to cica.cica.indiana.edu, and submit it to c.b.i.p.
>If there is enough interest, and nobody objects, perhaps I will post it here.

I'm looking forward to your module.  I'll check out indiana in a few days!

-- Jean

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.041204.8490@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jml00458@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jean Michael Liddle) writes:
>In article <1990Sep18.160813.28084@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:
>>
>>I second this, I cannot duplicate the Screen Peace problem mentioned in a

[stuff deleted]

>Related to the nonexistent disk issue though, I have spotted what I
>believe to be a small, annoying, but thus far harmless bug in MS Windows.
>When trying to read an empty drive A: or write to a write protected
>diskette from a DOS Window I suddenly get kicked into the FULL SCREEN
>setting (i.e. my DOS Window is no longer a window ...) with the usual
>prompt "abort, retry, fail ...".  Anyone else experience this?

I too have noticed this. When I have a DOS window open, and get such an error
message, the window pops to full screen mode. Not sure why... I then use alt-
enter to restore it.

>>BTW, look for a REAL NEAT Screen Peace saver module from me real soon now. I am
>>testing it thoroughly for a few days. Please e-mail if there is interest (Not
>>sure how popular Screen Peace is because of the bad rap it has gotten lately.)
>>
>>I will probably upload to to cica.cica.indiana.edu, and submit it to c.b.i.p.
>>If there is enough interest, and nobody objects, perhaps I will post it here.
>>

>I'm looking forward to your module.  I'll check out indiana in a few days!

ITS HERE!! I just uploaded it to cica... It is in the pub/pc/win3/uploads
directory (mazespx.zip). Look for it to be moved to the util directory as soon
as the administrator checks it out. I have also submitted it to c.b.i.p, but
the latency there runs as much as 4 weeks. It you don't have ftp access, e-mail
me and I will mail it back. If there is a lot of interest, and no one objects,
I could post it here, it isn't big, only about 6500 bytes uuencoded zip file,
but I don't want to offend anyone. Please let me know if I shouldn't post here.