[comp.windows.ms] 4Dos under win3

joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Jb) (09/20/90)

  I sent out a message earlier this week about the stack size needed to
run version 3 in 386 enhanced mode. Thanks for all the responses! It
turned out that I needed to set the stacks to 0,0. This is fixed.

  Now, I'm wondering how 4-Dos works under windows 3 and if there is any
changes to the command line that need to be made? After fixing the stack
problem, I realized that it was just after "trying" 4Dos that the problem
occurred...not to say that it wa the cause :-).

Thanx,
	jbl
--
    John LaRue            John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.             (206) 356-5753
    joshua@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!joshua

korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep19.215030.27508@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Jb) writes:
>  Now, I'm wondering how 4-Dos works under windows 3 and if there is any
>changes to the command line that need to be made? After fixing the stack
>problem, I realized that it was just after "trying" 4Dos that the problem
>occurred...not to say that it wa the cause :-).

4Dos 3.01a seems to work just fine for me under windows 3.0.  If you are
using it as your primary shell outside of windows it doesn't seem to work
unless you set it up to swap to disk rather than XMS.  (XMS swapping works
fine for secondary shells started from windows.)   I'd guess there is
something slightly strange about how 4Dos interacts with HIMEM.SYS.
(Strange in this context is defined by Microsoft.  I guess they know
strange.  They practically invented it.)

If I try to start the primary shell with XMS swapping Windows will hang
when I start a 4Dos process.

    /\                      korpela@sunspot.ssl.berkeley.edu      Internet
   /__\  rioch              BKYAST::KORPELA    42215::KORPELA     DecNet
  /    \   of Chaos         korpela%bkyast@ucbjade                Bitnet
 (_____________________     <aka Eric Korpela>

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.182347.27912@agate.berkeley.edu> korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) writes:
>In article <1990Sep19.215030.27508@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Jb) writes:
>>  Now, I'm wondering how 4-Dos works under windows 3 and if there is any
>>changes to the command line that need to be made? After fixing the stack
>>problem, I realized that it was just after "trying" 4Dos that the problem
>>occurred...not to say that it wa the cause :-).
>
>4Dos 3.01a seems to work just fine for me under windows 3.0.  If you are
>using it as your primary shell outside of windows it doesn't seem to work
>unless you set it up to swap to disk rather than XMS.  (XMS swapping works
>fine for secondary shells started from windows.)   I'd guess there is
>something slightly strange about how 4Dos interacts with HIMEM.SYS.
>(Strange in this context is defined by Microsoft.  I guess they know
>strange.  They practically invented it.)
>
>If I try to start the primary shell with XMS swapping Windows will hang
>when I start a 4Dos process.

I posted this a while back.  Perhaps someone could save it for "frequently
asked questions"  It's from Tom Rawson (one of the authors of 4DOS).  It talks
about using the /v switch when starting up 4dos with windows.

The /V causes 4DOS to reserve space for its transient portion when it is in
use, and free it when an application is loaded.  This forces Windows to save
4DOS's transient portion when switching away from and back to a 4DOS
window while at the prompt.  Without /V, the transient portion is trashed
and hitting a character at the prompt will hang the system.  The problem
will not occur when you are running an application within a 4DOS window, as
the transient portion is swapped out at that point, and hence is preserved
by 4DOS itself.

The above does not apply to 386 enhanced mode, where Windows apparently does
not trash 4DOS's transient portion.  However use of /V in 386 enhanced mode
won't cause any troubles either.

                                                 ... Tom
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep20.182347.27912@agate.berkeley.edu> korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) writes:
>In article <1990Sep19.215030.27508@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (Jb) writes:
>>  Now, I'm wondering how 4-Dos works under windows 3 and if there is any
>>changes to the command line that need to be made? After fixing the stack
>>problem, I realized that it was just after "trying" 4Dos that the problem
>>occurred...not to say that it wa the cause :-).
>
>4Dos 3.01a seems to work just fine for me under windows 3.0.  If you are
>using it as your primary shell outside of windows it doesn't seem to work
>unless you set it up to swap to disk rather than XMS.  (XMS swapping works
>fine for secondary shells started from windows.)   I'd guess there is
>something slightly strange about how 4Dos interacts with HIMEM.SYS.
>(Strange in this context is defined by Microsoft.  I guess they know
>strange.  They practically invented it.)
>
>If I try to start the primary shell with XMS swapping Windows will hang
>when I start a 4Dos process.

That is strange. It works for me OK on my 386/25. I start 4dos (now 3.02, but
it worked under 3.01a also) using XMS swapping. Then I can start multiple 4dos
windows under windows 3.0 with no problem. In fact, they share the same
environment space so that XMS usage less for the subsequent 4dos windows.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254