[comp.windows.ms] ASCII reference table under Win3

psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Lam Yeoh) (08/28/90)

I'm looking for a program that will display the various ASCII codes for
the special characters so that I may insert them into my documents.
Does anybody know of one available (preferably PD or Shareware)?

Thanks.

Stephen Yeoh                                    psyeoh@ubvmsd.bitnet
State University of New York at Buffalo         psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (08/29/90)

In article <33933@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>I'm looking for a program that will display the various ASCII codes for
>the special characters so that I may insert them into my documents.
>Does anybody know of one available (preferably PD or Shareware)?

If you want to spend money, hDC's first apps has an ascii table viewer
which lets you cut and paste the character from the table into your
document.  They only have ANSI and ASCII tables.  I wish support had
been added for other fonts, like greek and symbol and dingbats, etc.
I like the interface, though.

For public domain, I have an ASCII/ANSI  table  viewer which I think
I got from Compuserve.  My ftp seems to be somewhat broken.
Can someone post the name and number for the windows archive?

Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@rascals.stanford.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/30/90)

In article <33933@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a program that will display the various ASCII codes for
>the special characters so that I may insert them into my documents.
>Does anybody know of one available (preferably PD or Shareware)?

There is indeed a PD program that does that.  It was written for Windows
2.1, but I used the mark program on it and it works just fine under Windows 3.
Here's the problem.  I can't post it here (and I'm sure that's a relief to
some) as I've not been able to successfully arc/encode/etc any program
to date (I don't have a DOS version of uuencode/uudecode and I'm sure that's
a bit of a problem).  The program originally came from CompuServe so I know
it's there someplace (unless it's been deleted or something).
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

PA251678@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx (09/07/90)

 I am in deep trouble. After lots of trouble I got windows running
beautifuly on my ps-55sx. But then, I got hooked to the campus net.
The tecnicians came and pluged every thing up. Then I tried to reconfigure
my sistem so I could use windows or use the net, and I couldn't. Then
I tried to make different configure files one for the net and the latter
for windows. But i can't get the same nice configuration out of the
windows software. If I tried to make a ramdisk for the temp files too large
i get a "load too high for configuration" or something like that during
booting. If I make the ramdisk smaller and reduce the caches size it
might work, BUT the screen apeares all YELLOW. Very wierd. Whats going
on?. Notepad was corrupted so there is a chance that other windows files
could also be in bad shape. I will run a check up on the memory expantion
hardware (I got 4 megas of memory). But I don't know. The worst is that
the net doesn't even work right neither. Maybe Himem isn't working right.
Any help is thankfuly welcome. Please reply directly to me.

Raul V Ramirez Velarde
Bitnet   :  pa251678@TECMTYVM
Internet :  pa251678@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (09/22/90)

>I'm looking for a program that will display the various ASCII codes for
>the special characters so that I may insert them into my documents.
>Does anybody know of one available (preferably PD or Shareware)?

Again, HdC rises to the occasion. One
of their "microapps" in their new utilities
package (the name escapes me, but I think
its "First Apps") is a pull-up high-ascii
table for cut-and-paste.

By the way, they have updated theier "Windows
Express" for Windows 3. This used to be a
really nifty tool for Windows 2.11 but now
seems superflous with the advent of Program
Manager. Can any of the HDC people comment
on why one would want to use Windows Express
rather than Program Manager?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !