[comp.windows.ms] looking for the trashcan...

ajbanck@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) (09/04/90)

I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
I was missing when I started using win. Does someone know if there
exists a program that shows a 'trash-icon' where I can drag my files to,
to be deleted???

Arent Banck.
Email : ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl     Voice : 030-512834
					      (Holland)

-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (09/07/90)

ajbanck@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
>I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
>I was missing when I started using win. Does someone know if there
>exists a program that shows a 'trash-icon' where I can drag my files to,
>to be deleted???

If you are in the File Manager, select the file(s), then press the
<Delete> key.  You can also delete whole directory structures this way.
You can set the levels of confirmation with the Options Confirmation
check boxes for:
  confirm on delete
  confirm on subtree delete
  confirm on replace
  confirm on mouse operation

Sure this requires the use of the keyboard, but that's what the left hand
is for (right hand if you're a left handed mouser.)

Later,

Tim Forsyth

--
Tim Forsyth, tim@int13.hf.intel.com or forsytim@ccm.hf.intel.com
Intel Corp., Oregon MicroComputer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (09/10/90)

In article <841@int13.hf.intel.com> tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
* ajbanck@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
* >I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
* > ...
*
* If you are in the File Manager, select the file(s), then press the
* <Delete> key.  You can also delete whole directory structures this way.
------
Well, yes, but...
you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
But, anyhow...
-----
Maybe MS didn't do a trashcan because of the looky-feely hash that's been
going 'round.  So, why not use a PacMan icon to "eat" unwanted files?
But, then, that's probably too copyright-sensitive, too.
----------
regardz,
Ken

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (09/11/90)

In article <925@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.UUCP (Ken Leonard) writes:
>you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
>list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.

wrong again. you can, with ctrl-left click, just like on the Mac.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                        Talk Hard.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/11/90)

In article <925@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.UUCP (Ken Leonard) writes:
>In article <841@int13.hf.intel.com> tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
>* ajbanck@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
>* >I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
>* > ...
>*
>* If you are in the File Manager, select the file(s), then press the
>* <Delete> key.  You can also delete whole directory structures this way.
>------
>Well, yes, but...
>you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
>list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
>But, anyhow...
>-----
>Maybe MS didn't do a trashcan because of the looky-feely hash that's been
>going 'round.  So, why not use a PacMan icon to "eat" unwanted files?
>But, then, that's probably too copyright-sensitive, too.
>----------

I would write an application to do this, but I can't figure out the exact
mechanism that the file manager and program manager use to communicate. I
suspect it is DDE, but spy (comes with SDK) doesn't show any DDE activity
when dragging a file from the file manager to the program manager.

Anybody know how they do it?

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

lowery@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Tim Lowery) (09/11/90)

In <925@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:

>Well, yes, but...
>you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
>list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.

This is not true!  Try holding down the control key while selecting.  You
can select whichever files you want (whether adjacent or not) which can then
be deleted, moved, copied, etc.

Regards

Tim
lowery@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (09/11/90)

<>Well, yes, but...
<>you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
<>list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
<>But, anyhow...

You do this the same way you do it on the Mac: hold the shift key down and
click on the files. In the mac you drag the last file you click on to the
trash, in Win3 you hit the del key... If this doesn't work, I'd be pretty
dissapointed, as this is pretty standard GUI "language".

Iskandar
The only thing worse than Pesch a'la Frog
    Is Frog a'la Pesch

laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) (09/11/90)

From article <841@int13.hf.intel.com>, by tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth):
> ajbanck@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
>>I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
>>I was missing when I started using win. Does someone know if there
>>exists a program that shows a 'trash-icon' where I can drag my files to,
>>to be deleted???

Hewlett Packard's NewWave runs on top of Windows and has a trash can, file
folders, just like a Mac.  We're not using it here because I didn't like
the idea of adding another layer between applications and DOS.

Tom Laughner
DOS Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (09/12/90)

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:

> Well, yes, but...
> you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
> list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
> But, anyhow...
No, this is not right. You can press the control key and select as many
non-adjacent files as you like. It should have been shift though...

> -----
> Maybe MS didn't do a trashcan because of the looky-feely hash that's been
> going 'round.  So, why not use a PacMan icon to "eat" unwanted files?
> But, then, that's probably too copyright-sensitive, too.

Or maybe space invaders to "shoot" the files with. Actually I'd be happy
with a directory added to the directory tree called "Deleted", which would
hang on to the files for a bit if you change your mind... Similiar to the
Mac trash can but not enough to infringe, and it would still be logical.

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (09/12/90)

In article <925@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>, kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:
> * If you are in the File Manager, select the file(s), then press the
> * <Delete> key.  You can also delete whole directory structures this way.
> ------
> Well, yes, but...
> you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
> list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
> But, anyhow...
> -----
Hold the Ctrl key down, and you can select any number of files, whether they're
adjacent or not. Then hit the Del key.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep10.172526.16470@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>In article <925@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.UUCP (Ken Leonard) writes:
>>In article <841@int13.hf.intel.com> tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
>>you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
>>list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
-----
	Try Ctrl-Left Mouse Button.  It will mark files spread out in the list.

>>Maybe MS didn't do a trashcan because of the looky-feely hash that's been
>>going 'round.  So, why not use a PacMan icon to "eat" unwanted files?
>>But, then, that's probably too copyright-sensitive, too.
----------
	Other ProgMan replacements have Trashcans.

>I would write an application to do this, but I can't figure out the exact
>mechanism that the file manager and program manager use to communicate. I
>suspect it is DDE, but spy (comes with SDK) doesn't show any DDE activity
>when dragging a file from the file manager to the program manager.
>Anybody know how they do it?

	No it is not DDE but normal Windows Messages.  If you check the
	readme file that came with the Windows 3.0 SDK you will find a
	mention of the messages which fileman and progman use.  However,
	this messages are NOT-DOCUMENTED and Microsoft says to not use
	them.  If you think they should be documented, please write a
	letter to Microsoft telling them to document them.  I specifically
	looked in the  readme file for mention of these messages and missed
	it twice so it is not the most noticeable thing.  The messages
	were called DropObject, QueryDropObject, BeginDrag, DragLoop,
	DragSelect, and DragMove.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (09/13/90)

In article <LwPcP1w162w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:
>
>Or maybe space invaders to "shoot" the files with. Actually I'd be happy
>with a directory added to the directory tree called "Deleted", which would
>hang on to the files for a bit if you change your mind... Similiar to the
>Mac trash can but not enough to infringe, and it would still be logical.

Actually, it woudn't be *that* hard to create such a directory on a hard drive,
then have a program that watches for the system shutdown message
(like WM_QUERYENDSESSION), asks if you want to chuck the trash or not, and
if so deletes everything in it.  The Trash Manager would have to be in the
load= or run= line.   Now, to make it even neater, if it could track the
pseudo-undocumented File Manager messages so you can drag onto the Trash
Manager icon...  Just a thought...

Aaron Wallace

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/14/90)

In article <57865@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
><>Well, yes, but...
><>you can only select as many files as are adjacent in the displayed directory
><>list...  You cannot select umpteen files scattered throughout the display.
><>But, anyhow...
>
>You do this the same way you do it on the Mac: hold the shift key down and
>click on the files. In the mac you drag the last file you click on to the
>trash, in Win3 you hit the del key... If this doesn't work, I'd be pretty
>dissapointed, as this is pretty standard GUI "language".

Not quite right (or at least confusing), shift click will highlight ALL files
between the the current highlighted file, and the one you click on.  To high-
light random files, hold down the ctrl key and click on desired files.

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.155439.2218@portia.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:

>Actually, it woudn't be *that* hard to create such a directory on a hard drive,
>then have a program that watches for the system shutdown message
>(like WM_QUERYENDSESSION), asks if you want to chuck the trash or not, and
>if so deletes everything in it.  The Trash Manager would have to be in the
>load= or run= line.   Now, to make it even neater, if it could track the
>pseudo-undocumented File Manager messages so you can drag onto the Trash
>Manager icon...  Just a thought...

Simpler, on boot-up I automatically erase everything in \tmp (ala Unix). So
create \Trash and have an autoexec.bat routine to list and request
erasing \Trash on startup.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (09/14/90)

> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com writes:
>
> Not quite right (or at least confusing), shift click will highlight ALL files
> between the the current highlighted file, and the one you click on.  To high-
> light random files, hold down the ctrl key and click on desired files.

     There is a subtle and nasty error that can happen when you are using the
control key and mouse to click on a number of files.  If you have just created
a directory window, the highlight will be on the first entry, whether it be a
file or a subdirectory.  If you move the mouse to another file and hold down
the control key and click, the first entry in the window will be highlighted as
well as the one which you have just clicked on.  This first entry remains
highlighted during other control/clicks, so that in addition to the files which
you have specifically clicked on, you also get the first entry in the window.
If you are using the control key and mouse clicks to highlight a number of
files, the ***first*** file of the ones that you actually want must be clicked
on ***without*** the control key, in order to unstick the highlight from the
first entry in the window.
     Why do I mention this when it would seem to be readily apparent that you
have done the wrong thing by looking at the highlights?  The problem comes when
you open up a directory window and find so many files in it that you have to
scroll left-right to see them all.  If you scroll to the right so that you can
no longer see the first directory entry, then use a series of control/clicks to
highlight files for deleting or moving, the invisible first entry is also
selected.  Deleting three files in the middle of the scrolled window can then
also result in the deletion of the inadvertently selected first entry, whether
it be a file or an entire subdirectory.
     It would be helpful if in future releases of the File Manager a
control/click unsticks the highlight from whatever was highlighted before the
mouse action.  Microsoft - are you listening?
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) (09/18/90)

In article <3729@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> ajbanck@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
>I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
>I was missing when I started using win. Does someone know if there
>exists a program that shows a 'trash-icon' where I can drag my files to,
>to be deleted???

Yea. Go into the next Apple stor, and buy a macintosh. Deleting is so
much easier (IMHO) thenm dragging the damn icons across the whole desk.
Just mark them, and press the <del> key.

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (09/18/90)

*>>I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
*>>I was missing when I started using win. Does someone know if there
*>>exists a program that shows a 'trash-icon' where I can drag my files to,
*>>to be deleted???

hehehe Can't resist this one. There is a
program. Its called Gem! "Mac-in-a-PC" --
hehehe 8-)
Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep17.222019.13015@mercury.cair.du.edu> jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) writes:

>Yea. Go into the next Apple stor, and buy a macintosh. Deleting is so
>much easier (IMHO) thenm dragging the damn icons across the whole desk.
>Just mark them, and press the <del> key.

If only the File Manager would update the list of files only *once* instead
of deleting and re-sorting (watch it in Spy!) after each file vanishes...

BTW, how does the File Manager know when a file has appeared/disappeared?  It
seems to be able to catch any changes from any application, and even from DOS
sessons if a SYSTEM.INI flag is set.  Is there a message passed to the FM from
Windows?  I tried to Spy on it, but either missed it or it was a WM_USER+???.

Aaron Wallace

tso@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (Daniels Tso (Wiesel)) (09/19/90)

*>>I am looking for a trashcan for my windows. It was the first thing
*>>I was missing when I started using win. Does someone know if there
*>>exists a program that shows a 'trash-icon' where I can drag my files to,
*>>to be deleted???

	The best trash can I've found is in Pubtech FileOrganizer, aka
CBM DesktopOffice(?). It was recently mentioned in PC Mag First Looks.
	It is a great piece of software that transforms Windows 3.0 into
a MAC-like interface. Gone is that stupid Program Manager and its lame
companion the File Manager. Gone is the ridiculous distinction between
files and programs. Everything in File Organizer is an icon. You can
feed files to applications just by dragging file icons on top of
applications or application icons. And, of course, you get the trash can.
	It costs $169 (from Egghead) but its well worth it.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o
				Dept. Neurobiology	212-570-7671
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.edu

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (09/19/90)

>/ hpavla:comp.windows.ms / aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) /  3:40 pm  Sep 18, 1990 /
>In article <1990Sep17.222019.13015@mercury.cair.du.edu> jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) writes:
>
>BTW, how does the File Manager know when a file has appeared/disappeared?  It
>seems to be able to catch any changes from any application, and even from DOS
>sessons if a SYSTEM.INI flag is set.  Is there a message passed to the FM from
>Windows?  I tried to Spy on it, but either missed it or it was a WM_USER+???.
>
>Aaron Wallace
>----------

Which SYSTEM.INI flag?  I regularly un-zip files in a DOS box, but have to
manually update the File Manager window.

Just tell me to RTFM if its in one of the extra documentation MS provides
in the READMEs.

							Mark

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (09/20/90)

has anyone checked out the pubtec share(cripple)ware on cica.cica

it's an icon based file manager bundled with a text something or other
as well as a batch (compilable, they say) language for windows

the file manager, from the readme file, is supposed to have lots of
nice features but you can't try them out because it's crippleware
it also seems i little slower than file manager, maybe the real thing
will be faster/smoother, i can't tell cause it's crippleware. you can
theoretically drag file/folder icons out of the drive/directory folders
onto the desktop & then back into new folders but only theoretically
because it's crippleware. mayhap someone else has pensed awhile on this
endevour, me canst thinl any longer, my internal processes are crippled
(or it's 2 am)

seriously, any reviews?  they want like $100-200 for it which puts it
in the range of commercial shells for windows...

btw, what will J. Scully think of the dektop apperance, window handling :-)

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (09/20/90)

In article <~~H%4S*@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
>has anyone checked out the pubtec share(cripple)ware on cica.cica

Could you be more specific?  Last time I checked there were multiple pieces
of software there.

>it's an icon based file manager bundled with a text something or other
>as well as a batch (compilable, they say) language for windows

Well, that doesn't sound like Command Post... are you talking about Aporia,
perhaps?  If so, I've found it (at least version 13) to be unusably buggy.
(Although you might be talking about something else, since the Aporia
on cica just has annoying "Register me!" pop-ups, but isn't crippled.)
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (09/21/90)

In article <4886@hsv3.UUCP> jls@headland.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:
>In article <~~H%4S*@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
>>has anyone checked out the pubtec share(cripple)ware on cica.cica
>
>Could you be more specific?  Last time I checked there were multiple pieces
>of software there.

the file is in /pub/pc/win3/util/pubtech.zip

>>it's an icon based file manager bundled with a text something or other
>>as well as a batch (compilable, they say) language for windows
>
>Well, that doesn't sound like Command Post... are you talking about Aporia,
>perhaps?  If so, I've found it (at least version 13) to be unusably buggy.
>(Although you might be talking about something else, since the Aporia
>on cica just has annoying "Register me!" pop-ups, but isn't crippled.)

its not cp, aporia cbm etc
no anoying msgs just massive dissabled functionality
check it out and post your opinions...

>--
>Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
>"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman
>UUCP: ames!vsi1!headland!jls
>ARPA: jls%headland.UUCP@ames.nasa.arc.gov

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff
3006 Hunt II, RPI, Troy, NY 12180-3590          dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu
   --- Assassination is the highest form of public service ---

al1@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Carl Engman) (09/22/90)

I tried Pubtech with Win2. It was a heck of an imporovement.
Right now I find myself more and more interested in New Wave.
For $129.00 it would seem to be a great deal. I have copy coming.
Anyone out there have it?

al1

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!al1
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!al1@nosc.mil
INET: al1@pnet51.orb.mn.org