[comp.windows.ms] DataBase program for MS windows 3.0 ?

yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) (09/19/90)

Does anybody know about database program for windows 3.0 ?
I would appreciate any info or experiences about either commercial
or shareware/public-domain programs.

Thanks..
Dae-kyun Yoon
dkyoon@priam.usc.edu, ..!uunet!usc!priam!dkyoon

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (09/19/90)

 yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) writes:
>Does anybody know about database program for windows 3.0 ?
>I would appreciate any info or experiences about either commercial
>or shareware/public-domain programs.

i believe there is a commercial database front-end for windows called
omnis V.  my roomate spent the summer developing an application in it.
(perhaps, if he reads this, he'll post more info? :-)

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (09/20/90)

In article <YOON.90Sep18185130@aludra.usc.edu>, yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) writes:
> Does anybody know about database program for windows 3.0 ?
> I would appreciate any info or experiences about either commercial
> or shareware/public-domain programs.

The ones I know of are Omnis 5, Superbase 4, and Q+E. I can't make any
recommendations though, since I don't use any of them. The list is in decreasing
order of complexity as far as I know.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (09/20/90)

     I just came back from a PC user's group meeting where we had someone from
Fox Software demonstrating FoxPro, which is a non-windows database.  Although a
DOS application, the user interface of FoxPro is very windows-like.  The mouse
is used extensively, and the use of menu bars, dialog boxes, resizeabe and
movable windows etc. etc. is very similar to the operating environment of
Windows.  the representative from FoxPro said that the user interface was
written with Windows in mind, and that very likely Fox would come out with a
Windows version next year.
     For further information, contact:

Fox Software Inc.
134 South Boundary
Perrysburg, Ohio 43551
(419)874-8678
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (09/21/90)

In article <WSG%?*@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
> yoon@aludra.usc.edu (Dae-Kyun Yoon) writes:
>>Does anybody know about database program for windows 3.0 ?
>>I would appreciate any info or experiences about either commercial
>>or shareware/public-domain programs.
>>
>i believe there is a commercial database front-end for windows called
>omnis V.  my roomate spent the summer developing an application in it.
>(perhaps, if he reads this, he'll post more info? :-)

Oh well, I guess I'll post.  :)

Omnis 5, although it is a full-fledged multi-user database system, leans
heavily towards being a front-end development tool.  Omnis 5's handling of
database queries is rather complex and contorted.  If you plan to have your
users do a lot of predefined searches and queries, Omnis 5 is fine.  But if
your users are going to do a lot of different queries, I might suggest you
use Omnis 5 as a front-end development tool and use an SQL server to do all
your queries.

If anyone is interested, feel free to send me mail.  Or give the people who
made Omnis 5, Blyth & Associates, a call at (415) 572-0222.

NOTE: I have no association with Blyth & Associates other than a user of
Omnis 5.

Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
"If Linus looked like Worf, would you	Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu
 try to take his blanket away?"		Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
	- dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu		Disclaimer: Who said what?

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (09/21/90)

There's always Formbase, from Xerox.  Other options from
consulting the Summer 1990 catalog from The Programmer's Shop are:

Omnis Quartz, Blyth Software

dBFast/Windows, Bumblebee Software

FirstBase for Windows, ETN

Windows Filer, Palantir Software

Superbase 4 Windows, Precision Software

Opus I, Roykore Software (a drawing program & database)

SQL Windows, Gupta Technologies (actually, Windows/SQL front end for
SQL servers)

ERwin, Logic Works

--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

Bruce_H_Ring@cup.portal.com (09/23/90)

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) writes:

>> There's always Formbase, from Xerox.  Other options from
>> consulting the Summer 1990 catalog from The Programmer's Shop
>> are:

[ Stuff deleted ]

>> SQL Windows, Gupta Technologies (actually, Windows/SQL front
>> end for SQL servers)

SQLWindows comes with a single-user SQL database server called
DBWINDOW.EXE that runs on the same computer as the SQLWindows
client application.  You access both the local database as well as a
remote server from a SQLWindows application.

Bruce Ring
Gupta Technologies