[comp.windows.ms] Creating icons with Windows Paint?

sfc3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen H Chung) (09/21/90)

I've heard that you can create icons using the paint program supplied
with Windows 3.0.  Is it true?  I don't quite seem to find out how
to do it.

- Stephen

kperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Kerry Person) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.183621.22551@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sfc3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen H Chung) writes:

>I've heard that you can create icons using the paint program supplied
>with Windows 3.0.  Is it true?  I don't quite seem to find out how
>to do it.
>
>- Stephen

I have never done it with Paint, but FTP over to cica.cica.indiana.edu, and
check out icondrw.zip in pub/pc/win3/icons.  Pretty nice icon editor.  Color
and all, of course...

Kerry Person
(kperson@plains.NoDak.edu)

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.183621.22551@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sfc3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen H Chung) writes:

>I've heard that you can create icons using the paint program supplied
>with Windows 3.0.  Is it true?  I don't quite seem to find out how
>to do it.

You can create icons with the program "sdkpaint" that comes with the SDK.
Also, there was a windows 3.0 icon editor recently posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.152154.25113@world.std.com>, goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) writes:
> In article <1990Sep20.183621.22551@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sfc3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen H Chung) writes:
> >
> >I've heard that you can create icons using the paint program supplied
> >with Windows 3.0.  Is it true?  I don't quite seem to find out how
> >to do it.
>
> You can create icons with the program "sdkpaint" that comes with the SDK.
> Also, there was a windows 3.0 icon editor recently posted to
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
.
. --
. Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

The icon editor on cica.cica.indiana is very nice.  Looks like a lot of fun.
I wish I could edit the icons of an existing Windows program, though.  Is there
any utility program that will let me do this?  How about bundling the dozens of
.ICO files into a .DLL file, like another icon file found on cica? Having all
the icons split into separate files like they are now can create significant
overhead in file storage.

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (09/23/90)

Windows Paint will not create icons.  You can use one of the other utilities
mentioned in reply to your question.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.