[comp.windows.ms] Help: HIMEM.SYS problem !

joshua@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Poh Onn Joshua Fan) (08/11/90)

I recently bought a copy of Windows 3.0 and used the SETUP program
given to install the software including AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS.
When I reboot the system for a test run, the whole system was hung and
the keyboard was frozen.  I then discovered that when I removed the
HIMEM.SYS from the CONFIG.SYS, the system  boots up successfully.

I suspect my system may not be 100% compatible with the standard AT,
so I tried other HIMEM.SYS setup such as acer1000, ps/2, pheonix, wyse
etc., but they all failed.  I then suspect; maybe the memory is faulty, so I
used CheckIt (from TouchStone Software Corporation) to check my
system configuration and performed a memory test including extended
memory and all the memory in the system was reported to be OK.

I am really confused and does not know what to do. I hope to see Windows
3.0 running at least in Standard Mode. Is there any tricks involved to
setup the HIMEM.SYS ??

Can anyone tell me what have I done wrong? If anyone knows how to fix
it or someone who have had the same experience before and solved the
problem, please send an email to me.

The following is my system configuration:
	DOS version             :       3.30
	ROM BIOS                :       286 Modular BIOS Version 3.03
					Copyright Award Software Inc.
	BIOS date               :       11th. , May, 1985
	Processor type          :       80286-10 AT machine (compatible)
	Base memory             :       640 K
	Extended memory         :       384 K
	Hard disk               :       Seagate 40 M
	Floppy                  :       A: 1.44M (3.5")
					B: 1.2M  (5.25")
	Mouse                   :       MS-Mouse compatible.

Joshua Fan
University Of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
email   : joshua@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au.
ARPAnet : joshua%wolfen.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Janet   : munnari!wolfen.oz.au!joshua@uk.ac.ukc

ERAN@BGUVM.BITNET (Eran Lachs - BGUCC) (08/29/90)

Dear oz friend:

   I have exactly the same hardware configuration as you, let alone
a 20M Seagate and 1.2M floppy. My CONFIG.SYS has HIMEM as the
first device to load - and it does. I get Windows 3.0 working
in standard mode (by default).  Make sure you don't have TSRs
running loose when running Windows.

eran lachs :: bgu computer center, israel
mail:  eran@bguvm.bitnet

LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) (09/24/90)

Hi.  I tried to send you my suggestions to your problem via email, but it
got bounced back to me, so I'm posting here for all to read.  I hope no one
minds.  Here is the message...

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 90 16:40:18 EDT
From: Network Mailer <MAILER@QUCDN>
Subject: Undelivered mail
To: LAIH@QUCDN

Your mail was not delivered to some or all of its
intended recipients for the following reason(s):

Message syntax is unrecognizable.