[comp.windows.ms] Mistakes in SDK3.0 documentation?

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (09/20/90)

I believe I have found a minor error in the "Guide to Programming" book that
is supplied with SDK 3.0.  It's in the StringOut function on page 18-6. This
function is supposed to write a string in the given font, then reset to the
previous font and return the length of the string.  The function first
switches the font, then writes the text, then restores the original font,
then calculates and returns the length.  The length should be calculated
before switching back to the original font, like so:

WORD StringOut(hDC, etc)
{
  HANDLE hPrevFont;
  WORD length;

  hPrevFont = SelectObject(hDC, hFont);
  TextOut(hDC, X, Y, lpString, lstrlen(lpString));
  length=LOWORD(GetTextExtent(hDC, lpString, lstrlen(lpString)));
  SelectObject(hDC, hPrevFont);
  return(length);
}

Since I'm just learning about Win3, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any
other problems with the SDK.  If so, please post.

---jb

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep19.190320.25693@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
> I believe I have found a minor error in the "Guide to Programming" book that
> Since I'm just learning about Win3, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any
> other problems with the SDK.  If so, please post.

Well since you asked: The example of how to make your own font in the
Tools volume of the SDK doesn't work at all. There doesn't appear to
be any way to create a functioning alternative font/character set.
This is to my mind a tremendous shortcoming of a GUI, especially since
it makes the whole thing unusable for me...

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

In article <1748@s6.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>Well since you asked: The example of how to make your own font in the
>Tools volume of the SDK doesn't work at all. There doesn't appear to
>be any way to create a functioning alternative font/character set.
>This is to my mind a tremendous shortcoming of a GUI, especially since
>it makes the whole thing unusable for me...
>Later,
>Andrew Mullhaupt

I really don't know what you're talking about. I've been creating fonts
with no problems.  Chapter 6 of the Tools SDK describes the FONT Editor,
which allows you to either create a .FNT description file from scratch
or edit a given .FNT font. I found it quite nice considering that one can
run multiple copies of it, which can communicate through the clipboard.
Quite handy to Cut a character description from one and Paste it into another.

Of course this is not enough to create a .FON file, which is all described
in detail on Chapter 18 -- Fonts of the Guide to Programming.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) (09/24/90)

>In article <1990Sep19.190320.25693@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>> I believe I have found a minor error in the "Guide to Programming" book that
>> Since I'm just learning about Win3, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any
>> other problems with the SDK.  If so, please post.
>>

>Well since you asked: The example of how to make your own font in the
>Tools volume of the SDK doesn't work at all. There doesn't appear to
>be any way to create a functioning alternative font/character set.
>This is to my mind a tremendous shortcoming of a GUI, especially since
>it makes the whole thing unusable for me...

>Later,
>Andrew Mullhaupt

I've been successful in creating my own fonts for 3.0.  Can you describe
your problem?  The one 'gotcha' that I can think of is that it doesn't
appear to support the 3.0 font format.  I've traced through the
AddFontResource() routine and can see where it is checking the version
number.  It checks for 1.0, 2.0, and then 3.0.  If the format is 3.0, it
immediately returns with an error.  If you store you fonts in 2.0
format, then it works.  I haven't investigated any further.  (Seems real
stupid for Windows 3.0 to not support 3.0 format fonts!!!)

Can anyone else confirm or deny my observation?

Tom Hjellming
Analysts International Corp (AiC)
Schaumburg, IL

{Standard disclaimers apply}