[comp.windows.ms] Windows Screen Saver?

aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gary "Gnu" Aochi) (09/12/90)

I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
for windows...I was running something called "vgazap" which
simply blanked the screen after a specified interval without
a keystroke.  But, Win3 and vgazap don't like eachother (besides
vgazap does not recognize mouse movements), so I was wondering
what is available for windows, as shareware and retail, as in
screen blankers, glitzy screen savers...whatever.

Gary Aochi

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) (09/12/90)

I'm using SHADES ... it is cheap, easy, and fun.

   Smartapps
   213 Elm Street
   Santa Cruz, CA 95060
   (408) 459-0856
--
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (09/12/90)

In article <27726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gary
"Gnu" Aochi) writes:
Gary> I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
Gary> for windows...I was running something called "vgazap" which
Gary> simply blanked the screen after a specified interval without a
Gary> keystroke.  But, Win3 and vgazap don't like eachother (besides
Gary> vgazap does not recognize mouse movements), so I was wondering
Gary> what is available for windows, as shareware and retail, as in
Gary> screen blankers, glitzy screen savers...whatever.

There are/were two nice ones that I am aware of, screenpeace and
magic. You should be able to pick these up off of
cica.cica.indiana.edu. hDC first apps also has one if you are looking
for a commercial package.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

kperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Kerry Person) (09/13/90)

In article <27726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
>for windows...I was running something called "vgazap" which
>simply blanked the screen after a specified interval without
>a keystroke.  But, Win3 and vgazap don't like eachother (besides
>vgazap does not recognize mouse movements), so I was wondering
>what is available for windows, as shareware and retail, as in
>screen blankers, glitzy screen savers...whatever.
>
>Gary Aochi

ScreenPeace is an excellent (and sometimes fascinating) screen saving program
that allows you to choose from many different interesting "events" to take
place on your screen after a certain (user-defined) length of time.  You can
also move your mouse cursor to the extreme upper-left corner to start the saver
immediately (you can also define which corner activates it).

On cica.cica.indiana.edu in subdirectory pub/pc/win3/util, get scrpe12.zip (the
saver program), and also spx2.zip (more extensions, for more choices on saver
display).

Kerry Person
(kperson@plains.NoDak.edu)

c60c-3fz@web-2c.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee) (09/13/90)

In article <27726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
>for windows...I was running something called "vgazap" which
>simply blanked the screen after a specified interval without
>a keystroke.  But, Win3 and vgazap don't like eachother (besides
>vgazap does not recognize mouse movements), so I was wondering
>what is available for windows, as shareware and retail, as in
>screen blankers, glitzy screen savers...whatever.
>
>Gary Aochi

hDC FirstApps has, as part of the package, a screen saver that I think
is cool... you can choose it to do a bunch of polygon's (like the X11
SUN's do) with different colors (you specify the # of vertices and the #
of polygons before it starts erasing), or you can have "rocks" (kind of
like flying in space type, but I found it boring quickly), or you can have
a bitmap blink around the screen (I have a clip-out of Paulina's face which
I like to use for this)...  anyway, it works, and it's good (the polygons
will sometimes mesmerize me, I just sit there and watch it for minutes,
then again, I do stupid things like that)...

uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) (09/13/90)

Just ran across an ad in InfoWorld. "Shades by smartAPPS", screen blanker
for Windows 3.0, all kinds of options; immediate blanking by mouse
position, animated graphics, extensible graphics library, DOS aware,
flashing icon before blanking, optional autoexecution, etc., etc.

From: smartAPPS
      213 Elms Street
      Santa Cruz, CA  95066
      408-459-0856
      408-425-1709(FAX)

NOW for the best part - $9.95 + $2.00 shipping and handling (not free but
cheaper than most shareware).

Chuck Bennett
uchuck@unc.bitnet

rdg@virtech.uucp (Roger D. Gough) (09/13/90)

In article <27726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gary "Gnu" Aochi) writes:
> I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
> for windows...

hDC FirstApps and hDC Windows Express both include a screen saver.  Also,
if you run Windows under DESQview, its screen saver will work.  At least
one of these (and I forget which) does detect mouse movement.

--
Roger D. Gough                                                  +1 703 689 1692
Sequel Technologies                                           uunet!virtech!rdg

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/14/90)

> There are/were two nice ones that I am aware of, screenpeace and
> magic. You should be able to pick these up off of
> cica.cica.indiana.edu. hDC first apps also has one if you are looking
> for a commercial package.

I'm playing with 'magic' now. But it seems like there is no time-out
screen saver (I mean it doesn't work, I know there is a time out parameter
to set). I need to specifically park my mouse pointer in the sleep area
to get the screen to blank and display the kaleidoscope (sp ?).

Anyone to dispute my observation ?

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (09/14/90)

Why don't you try magic?

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)
-
Disclaimer:  My mind is so secret that only the Russians know what I'm
thinging!
-

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (09/16/90)

I have been running magic for about 3 months and my only complaint is that
occasionally it will blank the screen for a moment and some system activity
will awaken it.  I can find the activity, but I suspect it is an ill behaved
applications with a timer.  The other complaint is that while reading news,
my timeout of 2min occurs during long posts.  I am waiting for the version
that has built in life sensors to let it know if there really is someone at
the console...

other than these two complaints...
Magic is great...

jeff

--
Jeff Watkins                       gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

daly@ecs.umass.edu (09/16/90)

My own experiences with screen savers (I haven't used a Windows one yet,
though) have not been very pleasant.  A VGA screen saver caused Turbo C to
crash on me, necessitating a reboot, several times.  On a Macintosh, a screen
saver caused file transfers to abort as soon as the saver kicked on, a half
hour into the transfer, causing me to waste several hours before I figured out
the cause.  I also see talk about various bugs in different versions of Windows
screen savers.  I would like to use one, but if they cause problems like I have
mentioned above, it isn't worth it.

My questions are: do Windows screen savers operate reasonably trouble-free?
Will a file transfer be messed up when the saver turns on?

Thank you,

Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/18/90)

> I have been running magic for about 3 months and my only complaint is that
> occasionally it will blank the screen for a moment and some system activity
> will awaken it.  I can find the activity, but I suspect it is an ill behaved
> applications with a timer.  The other complaint is that while reading news,
> my timeout of 2min occurs during long posts.  I am waiting for the version
> that has built in life sensors to let it know if there really is someone at
> the console...

Ahhh  !!!! .... I think I know why magic doesn't timeout on my machine.
I have a clock program sitting in one corner. It is the program given in
Petzold's book. Why should magic bother with timer anyway ? I thought it
should only detect mouse, keyboard and screen activities (oops ! my timer
does update the screen), .... Well ! Is there anyway around this ? Other
than removing the timer ?

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (09/18/90)

In article <10709.26f3804e@ecs.umass.edu> daly@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>My questions are: do Windows screen savers operate reasonably trouble-free?
>Will a file transfer be messed up when the saver turns on?

I placed my screen saver EGAUTL83 (which is a VGA screen saver too) on
cica.cica.indiana.edu. It is PD and unlike others, it does not display
some bitmap or fancy graphics. It only switches of the display(s) by
writing hardware ports and palette registers and therefore should not
need much CPU power when it turns on. Give it a try. Also, it is BOTH a
normal DOS screen saver and a Windows 3.0 screen saver.
It's disadvantage is, that you don't get ANY entertainment :-).

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

craig@Unify.Com (Craig Isaacs) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep13.120747.24244@virtech.uucp> rdg@virtech.uucp (Roger D. Gough) writes:
>In article <27726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gary "Gnu" Aochi) writes:
>> I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
>> for windows...
>
>hDC FirstApps and hDC Windows Express both include a screen saver.  (....)

I am currently using both hDC products and think they are wonderful.
Since I use both, I disable the Express screen saver and use
the FirstApps one.  And, yes, it detects mouse movements.

>--
>Roger D. Gough                                                  +1 703 689 1692
>Sequel Technologies                                           uunet!virtech!rdg

insert disclaimer here.....
--
Craig Isaacs        *Unify Corporation*        internet: craig@unify.UUCP
voice: (916) 920-9092                    ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/25/90)

In article <5847@plains.NoDak.edu> kperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Kerry Person) writes:
>In article <27726@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>>I was wondering if there is some kind of screen saving utility
>>for windows...I was running something called "vgazap" which
>>simply blanked the screen after a specified interval without
>>a keystroke.  But, Win3 and vgazap don't like eachother (besides
>>vgazap does not recognize mouse movements), so I was wondering
>>what is available for windows, as shareware and retail, as in
>>screen blankers, glitzy screen savers...whatever.
>>
>>Gary Aochi
>

>ScreenPeace is an excellent (and sometimes fascinating) screen saving program
>that allows you to choose from many different interesting "events" to take
>place on your screen after a certain (user-defined) length of time.  You can
>also move your mouse cursor to the extreme upper-left corner to start the saver
>immediately (you can also define which corner activates it).
>
>On cica.cica.indiana.edu in subdirectory pub/pc/win3/util, get scrpe12.zip (the
>saver program), and also spx2.zip (more extensions, for more choices on saver
>display).

Also grab my mazespx.zip for an interesting module.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254