[comp.windows.ms] From BMP to GIF?

pasanen@fuug.fi (Harri Pasanen) (09/25/90)

Simple problem really:

How do I transform a Windows 3 BMP file to a GIF file preserving all the
colors?

I tried to go through PaintBrush and first getting BMP->PCX, but the picture
loses the color info in process, translating 256 colors to good 16.
(I only have a vanilla VGA).

I would like to have some display independent way to do this
(BMP2GIF to supplement the GIF2BMP).

Harri Pasanen		email: pasanen@fuug.fi
			       hpasanen@silver-surfer.hut.fi

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (09/26/90)

In article <PASANEN.90Sep25111237@fuug.fi> pasanen@fuug.fi (Harri Pasanen) writes:
>Simple problem really:
>
>How do I transform a Windows 3 BMP file to a GIF file preserving all the
>colors?
>
>I tried to go through PaintBrush and first getting BMP->PCX, but the picture
>loses the color info in process, translating 256 colors to good 16.
>(I only have a vanilla VGA).
>
>I would like to have some display independent way to do this
>(BMP2GIF to supplement the GIF2BMP).

>Harri Pasanen		email: pasanen@fuug.fi
>			       hpasanen@silver-surfer.hut.fi

Try out ps10.zip on cica.cica.indiana.edu.  It converts from GIF to
PCX.  It will also translate from GIF to BMP, but it gets the colors
screwed up sometimes.  For a better way, and a $75 way, try GCP from
synergistic enterprises (213) 852-1688.  It's worked well for all my needs.
(I have no connection to either company, aside from having been one of the
few to register GCP back when it was shareware).
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@rascals.stanford.edu