[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 and PC-NFS 3.0.1

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (09/21/90)

It took weeks, but I finally isolated the source of various
"Unrecoverable Application Error" and "Insufficient Memory" failures
while in Standard and Enhanced modes.

IF, I install all of Windows on a remote disk, per the instructions in
the back of the manual for making Windows available over a network,
AND I run "setup /n", also per instructions, THEN if I run this
networked version using the remote files, the problems occur in
Standard and Enhanced modes.

I don't get the problem if I put all the files on a local hard disk
instead of a remote disk.  A "setup /n" done from the hard disk works
fine, then fails using the remote files.  It has to be some problem
with using the remote files, but what?

Anybody with any suggestions, I'll be glad to hear from you.  My next
test will be the long, grueling one of doing a "comp" between each of
the files on the local and remote disk.  This is not something I
relish.

				  Eric Pilger
				  Systems Programmer
				  NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (09/25/90)

In article <9487@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) writes:
>It took weeks, but I finally isolated the source of various
>"Unrecoverable Application Error" and "Insufficient Memory" failures
>while in Standard and Enhanced modes.

I have also noticed that the only applications that have any trouble are
the ones that live on a PC-NFS drive ...

By the way, once the redirected printing (via lptx.os2) is "complete" (as
far as the application is concerned), which method do people here use to
get pc-nfs to spool the actual output? ...

The (default) hot-key is a problem ... so the only alternative besides
quitting Win3 appears to do a PM(File)(Run)"Net print * lptx" ... but
unfortunately that usually ends up with a hung system ... any thoughts?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) (09/25/90)

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:

>In article <9487@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) writes:
>By the way, once the redirected printing (via lptx.os2) is "complete" (as
>far as the application is concerned), which method do people here use to
>get pc-nfs to spool the actual output? ...

Yes, too bad the hot key method does not work. It is the most conveinient.
I followed the advice of a friend and looked for something in the
system.ini that might define key strokes that are to be ignored by
windows and passed to Dos but to no avail.

>The (default) hot-key is a problem ... so the only alternative besides
>quitting Win3 appears to do a PM(File)(Run)"Net print * lptx" ... but
>unfortunately that usually ends up with a hung system ... any thoughts?

I've just been using the PRT -T60 in my config.sys just before NFSRUN.
Almost all my jobs get passed in 60 sec or less (configure yours how you
want) and I've had no barfing by windows or the application yet.

If it matters I'm connecting to a 386sx to a sparc 1 via a Western
Digital EtherCard+. Also, I'm using Command Post instead of the regular
file manager (works fine).

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (09/25/90)

In article <1060@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>By the way, once the redirected printing (via lptx.os2) is "complete" (as
>far as the application is concerned), which method do people here use to
>get pc-nfs to spool the actual output? ...

I use "print after 5 minutes" for all my applications.  However, I
don't use 5 minutes.  I set the printer timeout to 20-30 seconds using
"prt -T30 *".  This almost always works.  However, it is timing
dependent so you have to watch out for gotchas (printing from a floppy
can do you in.)  The best solution is to play around with it some and
find what works for you.

					 Eric Pilger
					 Systems Programmer
					 NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (09/26/90)

If you wish to initiate printing of spooled print data for PC-NFS, the
following little MSC code fragment may prove useful. It works fine
under Windows:

#include <dos.h>
#define LP_PRINT_FILE           0x063
#define LP_STAT_OK              0
#define PRINTER_INTERRUPT       0x17

spool_print(n)
int n; /* set to 0: LPT1, 1: LPT2, 2: LPT3, -1: all */
{
        union REGS inregs, outregs;
        inregs.h.ah = LP_PRINT_FILE;
        inregs.x.bx = n;
        int86(PRINTER_INTERRUPT, &inregs, &outregs);
        if (outregs.h.ah != LP_STAT_OK) {
                /* failure - details unimportant here */
        }
}

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***