[comp.windows.ms] Logitech Scanman & Windows 3 incompatability

magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (09/26/90)

	I bought a scanman over the weekend.  The wscan software that comes
with it only runs in real mode. (It crashes in enhanced, I tried)  I did the
only logical thing:  I called Logitech.   I was expecting a free upgrade {what
an idiot I was}, or a nominal charge maintanance upgrade.   As it turns out the
software that is required to run the Scanman in Windows 3 is going to set
me back $80.   They were trying to push it as a new product.   The software is
essentially the same as wscan except it has 4 or 5 new added features.
(definitely not worth paying $79 bucks for) This is absolutely obscene.
Logitech is capitalizing on the upgrade to windows 3 to unfairly milk us for
more money.   If I had known that this was the way they operate I would have
bought another brand of scanner.   One of the sales pitches was that it was
going to be put on the market for $150.  What utter sales bull, who would want
to buy the product except present Scanman owners. {Largely}  Why have Logitech
not put out a maintanance release of wscan for Windows 3?  {Like most normal
companies have} If there is a 3rd party  software  package that does the same
thing as wscan I would be interested to hear about it, because I am more
likely to buy it from them than buying anything from Logitech any time soon!

Paul Magid

P.S.  A dos scanning program simply will not cut it.

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/26/90)

Supposedly ZSOFT has a version of Paintbrush out for windows. I guess this
is an enhanced version of what comes with windows. I don't know for sure.
Their PC Paintbrush IV Plus comes with drivers for popular scanners but runs
under DOS. I don't know whether the windows version supports scanning or not.
Unfortunately, the DOS version refused to work with my Logitech scanner.

BTW, the logitech software sucks in terms of gray scale. Many other venders
are offering real gray scale software with their products, not so Logitech.

Message to Logitech:
CHANGE your upgrade policy or I will never buy or recommend your products
again. Allen-Bradley Company has 13,000 employees and I will go out of my
way to "rag" on your products to all of them!

-Jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/27/90)

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:

>Supposedly ZSOFT has a version of Paintbrush out for windows. I guess this
>is an enhanced version of what comes with windows. I don't know for sure.
>Their PC Paintbrush IV Plus comes with drivers for popular scanners but runs
>under DOS. I don't know whether the windows version supports scanning or not.
>Unfortunately, the DOS version refused to work with my Logitech scanner.

I have the Windows version of PaintJet Plus.  It doesn't support Win3
though.  I'm still waiting on the upgrade.  It does support scanners,
but my manual doesn't mention the Logitech.  Maybe the new version will.
If they ever come out with it...
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/27/90)

In my earlier followup, I said I have PaintJet Plus for Windows instead
of PaintBrush Plus for Windows.  Sorry for the error.