[comp.windows.ms] Windows/Postscript/fonts

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/26/90)

Does anyone understand the font strategy withing Windows regarding mapping
of screen fonts to fonts in the printer or soft fonts ? I am mainly interested
in this subject as it relates to the Postscript drivers. I called Microsoft
and they told me that the font strategy was proprietary and would not explain
it.

How do I install a screen font and corrosponding postscript printer font to
get something like Word to recognize it and send the appropriate font to
the printer ? The thing that has me confused is that the documentation on
Softfonts seems to pertain almost entirely to HP's.

Why is this stuff not documented in the windows manual or printers.txt ?

-Jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (09/27/90)

In article <1884@abvax.UUCP> jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
>Does anyone understand the font strategy withing Windows regarding mapping
>of screen fonts to fonts in the printer or soft fonts ? I am mainly interested
>in this subject as it relates to the Postscript drivers. I called Microsoft
>and they told me that the font strategy was proprietary and would not explain
>it.

The font mappings for PCL fonts depend on the font name (if you want a
correct map, you need to call your printer fonts the same thing you call the
screen fonts.)  For PostScript, I don't know, but since there are standard
PS font names (i.e. NCR_____ = NewCenturySchlbk), I imagine that one of
those must match in the screen font and the PFM (I doubt that Windows ever
actually touches the PFB file).

>How do I install a screen font and corrosponding postscript printer font to
>get something like Word to recognize it and send the appropriate font to
>the printer ? The thing that has me confused is that the documentation on
>Softfonts seems to pertain almost entirely to HP's.

To install PS screen fonts under windows, you use the Control Panel Fonts
Add function.  It is documented in the manual.  To add actual Adobe
softfonts, first you will need the .PFB and .PFM files (the .PFM is Windows'
font metric file.  FINSTALL.DLL builds .PFMs for PCL softfonts, but there is
no corresponding program for PS softfonts).  If you have these files,do
this:  Say you have an Apple LaserWriter IINT on FILE:, with Garamond,
Korinna, Helv-Black and Helv-Light softfonts. (I do, so that's why I use
this example).  Your WIN.INI should look like this:

[PostScript,FILE]
device=4
feed1=1
feed15=1
SoftFont1=C:\PSFONTS\KRKB____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\KRKB____.PFB
SoftFont2=C:\PSFONTS\KRB_____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\KRB_____.PFB
SoftFont3=C:\PSFONTS\KRKX____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\KRKX____.PFB
SoftFont4=C:\PSFONTS\KRRG____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\KRRG____.PFB
SoftFont5=C:\PSFONTS\HVBL____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\HVBL____.PFB
SoftFont6=C:\PSFONTS\HVBLO___.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\HVBLO___.PFB
SoftFont7=C:\PSFONTS\HVL_____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\HVL_____.PFB
SoftFont8=C:\PSFONTS\HVLO____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\HVLO____.PFB
SoftFont9=C:\PSFONTS\GAB_____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\GAB_____.PFB
SoftFont10=C:\PSFONTS\GABI____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\GABI____.PFB
SoftFont11=C:\PSFONTS\GAL_____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\GAL_____.PFB
SoftFont12=C:\PSFONTS\GALI____.PFM,C:\PSFONTS\GALI____.PFB
SoftFonts=12

>Why is this stuff not documented in the windows manual or printers.txt ?

The Windows PS printer driver tells you to "follow the supplier's
instructions to install PS softfonts.  These fonts were supposed to install
automatically, but something broke and I copied the format that PCL fonts
use.  It works for me...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu