[comp.windows.ms] Link problems with MS-C 5.1 and MKS

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (09/26/90)

efowler@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Fowler) writes:

>Netlanders:
>	I have been fighting a losing battle with the MSC 5.1 linker for
>several days now.  I have some windows code that compiles, links, and
[stuff deleted]

>The error returned by the linker is always "Warning:No stack segment",
>followed by:"Unresolved external:", and either 23 or 36 functions.  The
[stuff deleted]

>Some possibly relevant facts: (1) The computer is not on the approved
>hardware list for windows 3.  Just the same, I have been able to run
>windows in Enhanced mode(not standard or real), and all the linking is
>done in DOS/conventional memory.
That shouldn't really matter for linking programs.

>                                   (2) I have the MKS toolkit installed,
>a psuedo-unix shell for PCs.
Do you use the MKS shell at home and not at work ?
I had a lot of problems with accessing environment variables from programs
compiled and linked with MS-C 5.0 if the MKS shell was used.
The placement of environment variables is NON-STANDARD DOS with the
MKS shell (c.f. the special posting of RCS for MKS users in c.b.i.p !).
I did not solve my problems, just stated in the doc that this program
wouldn't run with the MKS shell, that's it.

>could fasten a rope around the computer, tie one end around my neck, and
>dive into deep water, but this will still not resolve the problem with
>the linker.
I would try your stuff without the MKS shell, first :-) .

>=Eric Fowler
Norbert Bladt.
--
Please use this path as return address. DON'T USE THE RETURN PATH IN THE HEADER
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (09/28/90)

Norbert Bladt <bladt@hslrswi.UUCP> writes:
> efowler@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Fowler) writes:
>>	I have been fighting a losing battle with the MSC 5.1 linker for
>> several days now.  I have some windows code that compiles, links, [...]
>> The error returned by the linker is always "Warning:No stack segment",
>> followed by:"Unresolved external:", and either 23 or 36 functions.  The

> Do you use the MKS shell at home and not at work ?
> I had a lot of problems with accessing environment variables from programs
> compiled and linked with MS-C 5.0 if the MKS shell was used.
> The placement of environment variables is NON-STANDARD DOS with the
> MKS shell (c.f. the special posting of RCS for MKS users in c.b.i.p !).

This is not true.  The environment can be accessed just fine --- as long as
you remember to EXPORT your variables from the shell (remember, this is
Korn shell!).  As to the separate RCS posting --- the MKS version is the
same as the standard one, except that it understands slashes as well as
backslashes in pathnames.

In any case, I do all my Windows development using MKS Toolkit, and I have
had ZERO MKS-related problems.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]