[comp.windows.ms] WIN 3.0 *.INI files

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (09/24/90)

> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
> 3) As for your final question, which was how to change default directories
> when executing Windows applications from the Program Manager.  That is easy
> (and is actually documented in the manual).  When specifying the COMMAND
> LINE in the properties for that item, enter something like:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\WINWORD.EXE
>
> What will happen is that Windows will switch to C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA (which
> is presumably where you want your data files to be located) and then try to
> execute WINWORD.EXE.  Of course, this will only work if WINWORD.EXE is on
> the path.  If it isn't, Windows won't be able to find it and it will bomb
> out.  As long as WINWORD.EXE is on the path, WINWORD.EXE will get started
> while you remain in the directory you specified.

      This strategy does work.  However, when I do it I lose the
Winword-specific icon and get a generic icon in Program Manager.  Any ideas as
to how to keep the program-specific icon?
--
Did you hear the joke about the scientist whose wife had twins?
    - He baptized one and kept the other as a control.

Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

Barry Bailey (09/25/90)

   Unlike some respondents to this list I find File Manager and Program
   Manager to adequately serve my needs. I have setup Program Manager
   with three program groups tiled next to each other, one program group
   overlapping two of the above groups and the games group left as an
   icon. I minimize both FM and PM after use, which keeps the screen
   uncluttered. Because PM is less dynamic (i.e. I don't often add,
   delete, or move applications) this arrangement has been many times
   better than the MS-DOS Execute. I boot into Win 3.0 and rarely use
   the keyboard except within applications. It is equally easy to launch
   DOS and Win 3.0 applications.

   However, in file manager, when used at all, I constantly am expanding
   and contracting directory views. In doing so, FM automatically
   cascades each new directory window. If I want to launch an
   application by double-clicking on the data file this is fine. If I
   wish to move/copy files it becomes somewhat awkward. It is far less
   awkward to perform these functions when the directory windows are
   tiled. Is there a way to tell FM that you always want windows tiled
   (the default being "cascade")?

   Similarly, I find Win Write to be a very handy word processor for
   short memoes and documents (I also use PageMaker, for aesthetically
   more complicated documents). However I find that I often end up
   resetting certain options and features (e.g. fonts, ruler on, page
   layout margins, footer distance, etc.). Is there an .INI-like file or
   similar means of initializing Write, saving and passing on settings
   for each new document created?

   Last but not least - when launching window applications I noticed
   that they always default to the current (e.g. \WIND\*.xxx) directory
   for data files. I would like to be able to set the initial directory
   as one can do with PIF's for DOS applications. How might I do this?

   thanks

   barry

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (09/25/90)

1) There is no way of which I am aware to change the default behaviour of
of File Manager so that it tiles new windows rather than cascading them.
My only suggestion is to hit <Shift><F4> once you've opened all the direct-
ories that you want.  That key combination will tile all of the open
windows within File Manager.

2) Sorry, can't help you with Windows Write.  However, I strongly suggest
that you at least take a look at Word for Windows and/or Ami Professional.
Both are excellent programs.  I use Word for Windows, but you may find that
the other is more suitable for *your* needs.

3) As for your final question, which was how to change default directories
when executing Windows applications from the Program Manager.  That is easy
(and is actually documented in the manual).  When specifying the COMMAND
LINE in the properties for that item, enter something like:

C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\WINWORD.EXE

What will happen is that Windows will switch to C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA (which
is presumably where you want your data files to be located) and then try to
execute WINWORD.EXE.  Of course, this will only work if WINWORD.EXE is on
the path.  If it isn't, Windows won't be able to find it and it will bomb
out.  As long as WINWORD.EXE is on the path, WINWORD.EXE will get started
while you remain in the directory you specified.

LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) (09/26/90)

To retain the program specific icon while using the strategy I outlined for
switching to a different directory than the executable for a Windows
application, simply click on Change Icon *AFTER* you have defined the
program command line.  Once there, enter the correct path and filename of
the file containing the icon.  In my case, I have WINWORD.EXE in
\WINDOWS\WORD, I have WFW.ICO in \WINDOWS\WORD\ICONS, and I have my WinWord
data files in \WINDOWS\WORD\DATA.  My command line is:

\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\WINWORD.EXE and my icon file name is:

\WINDOWS\ICONS\WFW.ICO.

You may be wondering about WFW.ICO.  Well, I'm using WinWord 1.0, which has
a black and white icon in it.  WFW is a colour version which looks nicer in
the Program Manager.  I'm waiting for Microsoft to get Winword 1.1 to me,
which I expect has a colour icon built in.

Barry Bailey (09/26/90)

   I used the startup directory suggestion posted here and found that
   the application ICON changes to a default. After some playing around
   with 'change icon' I discovered that the original icon can be had by
   typing in the correct program path and clicking on 'view next'.
   Usually even this didn't work with the first attempt, but usually
   worked on the second or third attempt. Now all WIN app's properly
   start from a C:\DOC\app_name\(stuff) subdirectory, as long as my WIN
   3.0 subdirectory is in the PATH.

   To those suggesting I use WORD four Win, I have it. I like WRITE
   better for small and simple documents. Maybe I haven't spent
   sufficient time setting up WORD, but I find it slower in loading and
   too busy looking. Once I have played with it more I may change my
   tune.

   thanks

   barry

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (09/26/90)

In article <90268.001028LAIH@QUCDN.BITNET> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) writes:
>3) As for your final question, which was how to change default directories
>when executing Windows applications from the Program Manager.  That is easy
>(and is actually documented in the manual).  When specifying the COMMAND
>LINE in the properties for that item, enter something like:
>
>C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\WINWORD.EXE

The problem with this approach is that then *all* future apps opened will
have that directory as the current one.  I wish there were some way (and
I'm sure it's trivial to write a little app to do this) to just set the
default current directory.

The reason I want this is that I like to, before entering windows, cd to
the directory I plan to work in.  Then, when I start windows, all my
non-windows apps will start up in that directory (of course, this only
works when that directory is on a different disk than the one you run
Windows from).  This works fine until I run a Windows app which changes
the directory on the disk I'm working on, at which point *that* becomes
the default directory for all subsequent non-Windows apps.

What I did on my computer at home (which has only one partition, since
it's running DOS 4.01) was do a "SUBST d: c:\".  I then run Windows off
of D:, have the properties for all my program items specify absolute
paths with D:, but have all my non-Windows apps start up with "C:." as
the directory.  This solves at least part of the problem.
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (09/27/90)

In a recent article a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
>> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
>> 3) As for your final question, which was how to change default directories
>> when executing Windows applications from the Program Manager.  That is easy
>> (and is actually documented in the manual).  When specifying the COMMAND
>> LINE in the properties for that item, enter something like:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\WINWORD.EXE
  [...]

>      This strategy does work.  However, when I do it I lose the
>Winword-specific icon and get a generic icon in Program Manager.  Any ideas as
>to how to keep the program-specific icon?

Just open the icon setup (File -> Properties -> Change Icon).  You should
see the same path and name that you typed in the "command line" entry in the
properties setup box.  Change the entry (in the box with the label "File Name")
to point to the true executable file.  This is where Windows looks for an
icon to use in the group display.

The problem is that when you lie to Windows about where the program resides
the system still finds the code because the path is searched.  This isn't
true for the icon since it's a data file with an explicit path given.

I've got the same problem but can't use this technique because I make it
a point *not* to put too much in my PATH variable.  (I can have several
mutually antagonistic directories such as multiple versions of a product.)
I need a way to force a default directory without having to have the
executable code in the PATH.  Any ideas?

Joe Morris

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/28/90)

> > LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
> > 3) As for your final question, which was how to change default directories
> > when executing Windows applications from the Program Manager.  That is easy
> > (and is actually documented in the manual).  When specifying the COMMAND
> > LINE in the properties for that item, enter something like:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\WINWORD.EXE
> >

>       This strategy does work.  However, when I do it I lose the
> Winword-specific icon and get a generic icon in Program Manager.  Any ideas as
> to how to keep the program-specific icon?

Well, depends on what you want to do exactly. If you have a word data
file say in C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\ called MYTEXT.DOC. And you want to
execute WORD from PM on that file, all you have to do is specify the
COMMAND LINE in the properties for that item as :
C:\WINDOWS\WORD\DATA\MYTEXT.DOC. Then, everything will take care of
themselves.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (09/28/90)

In article <121442@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>>> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
>>> 3) As for your final question, which was how to change default directories
>>> when executing Windows applications from the Program Manager.  That is easy
>>> (and is actually documented in the manual).  When specifying the COMMAND
>>> LINE in the properties for that item, enter something like:
>
>I've got the same problem but can't use this technique because I make it
>a point *not* to put too much in my PATH variable.  (I can have several
>mutually antagonistic directories such as multiple versions of a product.)
>I need a way to force a default directory without having to have the
>executable code in the PATH.  Any ideas?

I have a small program, which I THINK I got off Compu$erve (I don't have the
original ZIP around anymore), called STARTUP.EXE.  It lets you specify the
path you want as the default; my WFW command line is

STARTUP C:\TEMP\WFWDOCS C:\WINWORD\WINWORD.EXE.

It works just fine...I'll put it up on cica tomorrow, unless someone else
has the distribution.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu