[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 386 enhanced video problem

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (09/29/90)

I am having a problem running plain DOS super VGA programs in
Windows 3.0 386 enhanced mode. I have played with most of the settings
in the pif file to no avail. I am assuming that I must use exclusive
and full screen, and have set no background as well. I have tried several
combinations of "monitor ports" and "low graphics" or "high graphics"
etc, all to no avail: when I switch into 600x800x16 color mode,
it doesn't sync right, though it does sort of work, and some odd
colors appear. When I exit back to Windows all is well.

This is a Dell 310 with 8 megs of memory and the Dell VGA16 card
(OEM from Video 7). I am using the Video 7 super vga 600x800 driver.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug McDonald

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.182133.20326@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>I am having a problem running plain DOS super VGA programs in
>Windows 3.0 386 enhanced mode. I have played with most of the settings
>in the pif file to no avail. I am assuming that I must use exclusive
>and full screen, and have set no background as well. I have tried several
>combinations of "monitor ports" and "low graphics" or "high graphics"
>etc, all to no avail: when I switch into 600x800x16 color mode,
>it doesn't sync right, though it does sort of work, and some odd
>colors appear. When I exit back to Windows all is well.

I'm amazed you even got it to switch at all.  The driver should (and does
when I try it!) bring you into the DOS session in "pure" mode, meaning that
you can't access the proprietary extensions.  This is because in 386
Enhanced mode the Windows VDD (Virtual Display Driver) needs to be able to
handle all of the video modes you use.  And, of course, it *doesn't*
handle proprietary modes.

Now, I can't imaging why you can't sync in 800x600 mode.  Assuming you
managed to get that far, there's no reason why the monitor timings should
be screwed up...  Unless you're running ALTPARM or something like it
inside a window to change the timing parameters?

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman