[comp.windows.ms] Faxing and Windows 3

magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (09/26/90)

	The software that comes with the EzFax 96i, that I have, is incompatible
with Windows 3.  The program works, however there are trasmission errors /
problems.  The only way {I have found} to solve the problems is to give the
program exclusive dibs on the CPU.  Are there any Windows 3 fax programs that
will work with my board?  Any help will be appreciated.

Paul Magid

P.S.  The board is in a 386sx running at 20mhz

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep26.013706.24612@agate.berkeley.edu> magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
>	The software that comes with the EzFax 96i, that I have, is incompatible
>with Windows 3.  The program works, however there are trasmission errors /
>problems.  The only way {I have found} to solve the problems is to give the
>program exclusive dibs on the CPU.  Are there any Windows 3 fax programs that
>will work with my board?  Any help will be appreciated.

I spent $460 for the Intel Connection Coprocessor rather than $200 for EzFax
to assure a good fit into the Windows environment.  Since I have yet to take
delivery, I can not gloat over my choice.  A product called "FAX It" (??)
may help, but I would expect that exclusive mode will be required for any
DOS based solution.

Hope this helps ... Chris
--
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764

mutchler@zule.EBay.Sun.COM (Dan Mutchler) (09/26/90)

In article <24958@sequoia.execu.com> cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) writes:

   In article <1990Sep26.013706.24612@agate.berkeley.edu> magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
   >	The software that comes with the EzFax 96i, that I have, is incompatible
   >with Windows 3.  The program works, however there are trasmission errors /
   >problems.  The only way {I have found} to solve the problems is to give the
   >program exclusive dibs on the CPU.  Are there any Windows 3 fax programs that
   >will work with my board?  Any help will be appreciated.

   I spent $460 for the Intel Connection Coprocessor rather than $200 for EzFax
   to assure a good fit into the Windows environment.  Since I have yet to take
   delivery, I can not gloat over my choice.  A product called "FAX It" (??)
   may help, but I would expect that exclusive mode will be required for any
   DOS based solution.

   Hope this helps ... Chris
   --
   Christopher D. Brown

   Digital: {uunet|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
   Analog: (512) 327-7070
   Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764

I installed FaxIt yesterday and it works great with the Intel board.
It is very easy to use and the printed output from a received fax
looks much better than the output from Intel's Connect program. It
prints about twice as fast as well.
--

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler

jeffmu@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MUZZY) (09/29/90)

I think the problem he has started with his fax board is a software
problem from the fax manafacturer. I have been using an Intel Connection
CoProcessor with Win3 for about 9 months. Alien computer has a software
package which works with a couple of different hardware cards. Try giving
them a call.
   Alien Computing
   37919 50th St East
   Palmdale, CA 93550
   (805) 947-1310

I use their Win3 driver to allow me to fax information from Excel and
Winword.

Jeff Muzzy
--
jeffmu@microsoft or uunet!microsoft!jeffmu    MaBellNet: (206) 882-8080
<Insert your favorite disclaimer about opinions and companies here>