[comp.windows.ms] Switching between applications

kid@hpctdkg.HP.COM (Kevin Dietz) (09/14/90)

Does anybody know how to toggle/rotate between 2 or more full-screen
DOS command lines that have been opened from within Windows WITHOUT
going back into windows/graphics mode?  The only ways I know to switch
applications is Alt-Esc, or Ctrl-Esc which brings up the task manager.
I just want to switch between command lines with a single keystroke.
If Windows won't let you do this, how about DesqView?

Thanks,

Kevin Dietz
kid@hpctdkg.hp.com

warsh@athena.mit.edu (Russell Williams) (09/17/90)

In article <4330005@hpctdkg.HP.COM>, kid@hpctdkg.HP.COM (Kevin Dietz) writes:

| Does anybody know how to toggle/rotate between 2 or more full-screen
| DOS command lines that have been opened from within Windows WITHOUT
| going back into windows/graphics mode?  The only ways I know to switch
| applications is Alt-Esc, or Ctrl-Esc which brings up the task manager.
| I just want to switch between command lines with a single keystroke.
| If Windows won't let you do this, how about DesqView?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Kevin Dietz
| kid@hpctdkg.hp.com

I've seen several people wondering how to do this.  All you have
to do is use Alt-Tab, but hold down the Alt key while tabbing
to the window that you desire.  The screen clears to text mode, and
the title of the window is displayed at the top of the screen.
You can press tab again while Alt is still down to go to the next
window in the window list, or you can release the Alt key to go
to the selected window.

-Russell Williams

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (10/01/90)

kid@hpctdkg.HP.COM (Kevin Dietz) writes:

>Does anybody know how to toggle/rotate between 2 or more full-screen
>DOS command lines that have been opened from within Windows WITHOUT
>going back into windows/graphics mode?  The only ways I know to switch
>applications is Alt-Esc, or Ctrl-Esc which brings up the task manager.
>I just want to switch between command lines with a single keystroke.
>If Windows won't let you do this, how about DesqView?

Just use the Alt+Tab shortcut, i.e. hold down the Alt key and type
one ore more Tab until you see the title bar of the application you
want to switch to, then release the Alt key. To get back to your first
application do the same, you will have to push Tab only once, because
Windows seems to display the title bars in a least recently used order.

It will switch modes only after you release the Alt key, and only if the
application switched to uses a mode different from the one switched from.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>