[comp.windows.ms] Real-mode Win3 as a 386-enhanced-mode Win3 DOS task?

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (09/24/90)

We have a pre-3.0 Windows application which will only run under
Windows 3.0 in real-mode.  Would running Windows 3.0 first in
386-enhanced-mode and then start it a second time (in real-mode)
within a DOS task of the first invocation and then running this
program work?

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (10/01/90)

In article <2083@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>We have a pre-3.0 Windows application which will only run under
>Windows 3.0 in real-mode.  Would running Windows 3.0 first in
>386-enhanced-mode and then start it a second time (in real-mode)
>within a DOS task of the first invocation and then running this
>program work?

Sam,
Yes, this will work, assuming you have enough memory.  I've done this by
defining a PIF file which calls WIN.COM, and setting the XMS (high memory)
setting to 1024.  If you have enough memory then it is a good idea to
"lock" this use of high memory.

This would result in a Real Mode Windows window with about 1400k free.

If you are using all extended memory then you have to make sure that
NoEMMDriver = False (or no such line at all) is in SYSTEM.INI.  This line, if
set to True, disables Windows 3.0's emulation of EMM memory when an
application requests it.  It is useful if you are using Qemm 5.11 to
manage your memory, since in that case you don't need Windows to fake EMS
since Qemm is profviding it.

I also found it useful to define a short cut key (Alt-Shift-W) in the PIF
file to be able to quickly jump to this real mode window.

Hope this helps.