[comp.windows.ms] Re^2: Query: Which would you recommend? Windows? or OS2 w/ PM?

cdh1@eds1.UUCP (C. Daniel Hassell) (10/01/90)

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:

>I wish people would get their facts straigt before posting.  Your facts
>are 100% backwards and incorrect.

/* argument about the merits of OS/2 deleted */

>I was talking to Microsoft's Canadian educational representative a few
>days ago.  She says that Microsoft has NOT dropped OS/2.  In fact, they have
>Word for OS/2 PM, Excel for PM, etc. all waiting in the wings.  They just
>don't want to kill the Windows market for those products by releasing the
>OS/2 versions at the same time.  I don't really like the idea of holding us
>OS/2 users back simply for marketing strategy, but the point is all the
>applications are there.

>- Kevin Lowey

Sorry, Kevin, but InfoWorld disagrees with you.  A recent article reported
that MS is giving development of OS/2 to IBM.  MS will at some point
port the product to other platforms, but for now, they are going to
concentrate on Windows development.  That Canadian rep is also correct
that they are still going to be writing applications for OS/2, but we're
discussing the operating system here.  It makes sense from a business
perspective since IBM wants to tie high-end PCs to its mainframe
products and OS/2 is clearly that place to do that.  MS, on the other
hand, smells big money to be made with Windows, Excel (grabbing market
share from Lotus), and Word for Windows.

CD Hassell
cdh1@eds1.eds.com
...psuvax1!eds1!cdh1