[comp.windows.ms] icons for non-Windows 3.0 applications

kinsellaj@ul.ie (09/07/90)

Apologising in advance for the trivial nature of the question: "Is there any way
of preventing an icon for a non-Windows (i.e. DOS) application from reverting to
the generic DOS icon when one minimises the application?" (I don't have the
Windows 3 handbook & neither does anyone I know!)

John A. Kinsella
Mathematics Dept.
University of Limerick
Limerick
IRELAND

(No fancy disclaimers neccessary, I'm always right!)

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (09/07/90)

In article <6669@ul.ie> kinsellaj@ul.ie writes:
>Apologising in advance for the trivial nature of the question: "Is there any way
>of preventing an icon for a non-Windows (i.e. DOS) application from reverting to
>the generic DOS icon when one minimises the application?" (I don't have the
>Windows 3 handbook & neither does anyone I know!)

The answer is, unfortunately, no.  The icon which appears upon minimizing
must be linked into the .EXE file.  Since non-Windows apps don't have these
linked in, you're out of luck there.  (And after all that time I spent
making great icons to appear in the Program Manager...)
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
UUCP: ames!vsi1!headland!jls

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (09/30/90)

In article <4707@hsv3.UUCP> jls@headland.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:
>In article <6669@ul.ie> kinsellaj@ul.ie writes:
>>"Is there any way
>>of preventing an icon for a non-Windows (i.e. DOS) application from reverting to
>>the generic DOS icon when one minimises the application?" (I don't have the
>>Windows 3 handbook & neither does anyone I know!)
>The answer is, unfortunately, no.  The icon which appears upon minimizing
>must be linked into the .EXE file.  Since non-Windows apps don't have these
>linked in, you're out of luck there.  (And after all that time I spent
>making great icons to appear in the Program Manager...)

What would happen if you used the resource compiler to link in an icon
to a dos executable?

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep29.184653.4693@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>What would happen if you used the resource compiler to link in an icon
>to a dos executable?

Well, this *might* let you access the icon from the Properties... menu of
the Program Manager (I haven't tried) but it still wouldn't give you that
icon when you minimize the program.  Each windows program needs to designate
a "class icon" for its window to let the system know what it should look
like when you minimize it.  (That's not quite true, as the program can draw
its icon itself, as clock does, but it's approximately true.)  Now, a
non-Windows app is not going to know about the resource you linked in, so
it's definitely not going to tell Windows that it's the class icon.
(Nice thought, though...)