[comp.windows.ms] Wnqvt445.zip Upload to Cica

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (09/28/90)

][

Has anyone tested the new version (4.45) of WINQVT recently uploaded
to cica?  I can't figure if it is broken or something is wrong with my
VGA setup.

Basically, I can't see anything on the terminal screen.  I can see the
cursor moving where characters are *supposed* to be, but nothing, no
matter what color combinations, emulation, etc., I set corrects the
situation.

Any solutions?  Anyone want to scream at me for deleting the old
version on cica before testing the new one?!  :-)

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

tang@olivej.olivetti.com (Mankit Tang) (09/28/90)

Seem working for me with one exception, it didn't seem to send the
modem initialization string I set up to my MNP level 5 modem correctly,
which work flawlessly under version 4.36.  Otherwise, I don't have
any problem using version 4.45 at 2400-baud Hayes compatible mode.

-mkt

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (09/28/90)

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>Has anyone tested the new version (4.45) of WINQVT recently uploaded
>to cica?  I can't figure if it is broken or something is wrong with my
>VGA setup.

I downloaded it yesterday and tried it. It works, but has the same annoying
bugs I reported here a while ago for an earlier version: for some of the
shifted numeric keys on the upper keybord row it produces two characters,
the one from the US keyboard and the one from German keyboard. I can't
type a @ (it shares the latter behaviour with the Terminal from Win3).

>Basically, I can't see anything on the terminal screen.  I can see the
>cursor moving where characters are *supposed* to be, but nothing, no
>matter what color combinations, emulation, etc., I set corrects the
>situation.

This worked on my machine (Tseng ET3000 based VGA, enhanced mode). I
tried a few color combinations including black/white, inverse, yellow/blue,
and the three character sets. No problems here.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

nsus_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Nicholas Leon Susch) (09/29/90)

I haven't seen anyone talk about the most annoying bug in wnqvt445.zip.
If you expand it to full screen (to get 43 lines in 800x600) and then
cick on the resize button (to bring it back to original 80x24) it
redraws the box, but puts no text anywhere, and starts flashing the
scroll bar! If you click anywhere in the box, the whole thing just goes
away, and leaves your com port open so you can't use it again unless you
quit windows. I have tried this on two different computers (a 386 and
286).

--
"And when I have understanding    |   /\/ick Susch - University of Rochester
 of computers, I will be the      |   nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) (09/29/90)

nsus_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Nicholas Leon Susch) writes:

[talks about how resizing from full to window crashes qvt and hangs the comport]

Don't forget the little annoying problem where sometimes your cursor just
dissappears!  Then to get it back choose small/large the opposite of what you
are using and then back to original to get your cursor back.

If I knew these things would disappear when registering and getting the vga
fonts I think I would actually register.

Bryan.
--
/* ==== Bryan Nehl ===== kodiak%kodiakpc.uucp@phobos.cis.ksu.edu ==+
[   Big Bad Bear Beasties Inc.      ][ kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu     ]

ayman@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Ayman Kayssi) (09/29/90)

	The "transparent" font is a problem on my machine too; however,
	when I changed the "Character Set" to "IBM" in "Setup -> Terminal"
	the font worked fine.
	I sure hope that the problem with the "DEC" font gets fixed real soon.

=  Ayman Issam Kayssi                        =   Email:                      =
=  Advanced Computer Architecture Lab.       =   ayman@caen.engin.umich.edu  =
=  EECS Dept., Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor  =   ayman@eecs.umich.edu        =

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (09/30/90)

In <1990Sep29.034913.21277@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>
kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) writes:

  nsus_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Nicholas Leon Susch) writes:

  [talks about how resizing from full to window crashes qvt and hangs
  the comport]

  Don't forget the little annoying problem where sometimes your cursor just
  dissappears!

Gosh, seems I've started quite a mud slinging contest with this piece
of "software."  :)

Far be it of me to judge, but perhaps we should just remove it from
cica's disks until this program improves in quality.  I've received
more mail complaining about the program crashing and generally
misbehaving than anything else...

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (09/30/90)

>Far be it of me to judge, but perhaps we should just remove it from
>cica's disks until this program improves in quality.

That's it.  WNQVT445.ZIP has been removed.

I received a note from someone at WinQVT Support at QPC Software this
morning.  While they don't have direct Usenet access to our
discussion, word got to them that things were going wrong.

Basically, they've discovered that cica had a copy of version 4.45
which, by the way, is a "transitional version that had never been
released by QPC to the community at large."

The next "official" release of WinQVT will be 4.50 which should appear
in a "few days."

Until the 4.50 release appears at cica, WinQVT is gone from the
archives here.

Gregg Cohen (cohen@brodmann.iaf.uiowa.edu) wanted to contact QPC
Software via e-mail.  Pam Arnold at WinQVT Support at QPC Software
mentioned that they have a Compu$erve account for WinQVT support.  You
can send e-mail to:  Pam Arnold <76676.1420@compuserve.com>

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep29.034913.21277@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) writes:
>nsus_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Nicholas Leon Susch) writes:
>
>[talks about how resizing from full to window crashes qvt and hangs the comport]
>
>Don't forget the little annoying problem where sometimes your cursor just
>dissappears!  Then to get it back choose small/large the opposite of what you
>are using and then back to original to get your cursor back.
>
>If I knew these things would disappear when registering and getting the vga
>fonts I think I would actually register.

The new version also gives me problems with the serial port setup. Under 4.36
I had the port set to 8 data bits, 1 stop, no parity. Now under 4.45, I must
use 7 data bits no parity or I get garbage.

I haven't investigated the problem too much yet, maybe it re-initialized my
modem.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254