[comp.windows.ms] help - windows and disk manager problem ??

knowlton@xenna.encore.com (Scott Knowlton) (09/24/90)

I seem to recall a problem with Windows 3.0 and Disk Manager.
Does anybody know if this is a problem ?? Does anybody know
how to fix this problem without going to DOS 4.01 ??

I thought the fix was something like renaming the disk driver,
but I cannot remember.

Thanks,

Scott

DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) (09/25/90)

In article <12787@encore.Encore.COM>, knowlton@xenna.encore.com (Scott Knowlton)
says:

>I seem to recall a problem with Windows 3.0 and Disk Manager.
>Does anybody know if this is a problem ?? Does anybody know
>how to fix this problem without going to DOS 4.01 ??

I used to use Disk Manager, until I discovered that apparently the new
copies of MS-DOS from Microsoft in version 3.3 have a new version of
FDISK that allows for multiple drives/partitions..... and this DOES
work with Windows 3.0.  Unfortunately, you'll have to re-format anything
past C>.....
-----
Daniel R. Jeuch                   Microsoft Corp. Student Rep.
10 Vario Blvd., Box 185           DRJ100@PSUVM, drj100@psuvm.psu.edu
State College, PA  16803          (814) 867-4622, (800) 232-5129

palm@admin.kth.se (Christer Palm) (09/25/90)

In article <12787@encore.Encore.COM> knowlton@xenna.encore.com writes:
>I seem to recall a problem with Windows 3.0 and Disk Manager.
>Does anybody know if this is a problem ?? Does anybody know
>how to fix this problem without going to DOS 4.01 ??
>
>I thought the fix was something like renaming the disk driver,
>but I cannot remember.

Problem ? ? ? ? ?

/Christer

scholes@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Marty Scholes) (09/25/90)

In article <12787@encore.Encore.COM> knowlton@xenna.encore.com writes:
>I seem to recall a problem with Windows 3.0 and Disk Manager.
>Does anybody know if this is a problem ?? Does anybody know
>how to fix this problem without going to DOS 4.01 ??

On my machine (generic 386-20), Win3 locks up at the title screen if I
try to run enhanced mode.  It runs standard and real just fine.  I have
traced the problem to DMDRVR.BIN (Disk manager).  I would be VERY interested
in knowing how I can get around this problem short of going to DOS 4.01
(I'm not sure what it would take to change OS's and the partitions, but
I imagine that it would require a backup, and playing games with 200 megs
of data just doesn't seem all that fun).  If anyone knows of any solution,
please feel free to post.  Thanx in advance, Marty

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (09/25/90)

Try inserting the following line in the SYSTEM.INI file following the
'[386Enh]' marker:
            VIRTUALHDIRQ=OFF

I am running 4.01, but still need DMDRVR.BIN because my drive has more
than 1024 cylinders.  I don't know if this will work for you but it is
worth a try.  The only negative side effect is that it seemed to slow
down performance a bit.

Brian Town

korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) (09/25/90)

In article <26860@boulder.Colorado.EDU> scholes@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (Marty Scholes) writes:
>In article <12787@encore.Encore.COM> knowlton@xenna.encore.com writes:
>>                                          Does anybody know
>>how to fix this problem without going to DOS 4.01 ??
>
>                                                  I would be VERY interested
>in knowing how I can get around this problem short of going to DOS 4.01

Why is everyone so afraid of going to DOS 4.01?  I use it and it causes
no problems whatsoever.  (Except I can't seem to run windows version 1.1)

>(I'm not sure what it would take to change OS's and the partitions, but
>I imagine that it would require a backup, and playing games with 200 megs
>of data just doesn't seem all that fun).

One would think that with 200 megs worth of data you would have a backup
available for the day when your drive does crash.  I can understand not
wanting to change operating systems, but not having a backup is foolish.

    /\                      korpela@sunspot.ssl.berkeley.edu      Internet
   /__\  rioch              BKYAST::KORPELA    42215::KORPELA     DecNet
  /    \   of Chaos         korpela%bkyast@ucbjade                Bitnet
 (_____________________     <aka Eric Korpela>

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/27/90)

> On my machine (generic 386-20), Win3 locks up at the title screen if I
> try to run enhanced mode.  It runs standard and real just fine.  I have
> traced the problem to DMDRVR.BIN (Disk manager).  I would be VERY interested

Sounds like you're real lucky that your disk is still working. It is
a known problem that Windows 3.0 used with Disk Manager trashed hard disk
FAT.

> in knowing how I can get around this problem short of going to DOS 4.01
> (I'm not sure what it would take to change OS's and the partitions, but
> I imagine that it would require a backup, and playing games with 200 megs
> of data just doesn't seem all that fun).  If anyone knows of any solution,
> please feel free to post.  Thanx in advance, Marty
> ----------

I don't think there's a way around this without re-partitioning &
re-formatting the disk. Unless DOS 4.01 disk format and FAT is same as
the one used by Disk Manager which I sincerely doubt.

Anyway, I feel that with disk size less than 256 MB, you can get away
with DOS 3.3. Just partition the disk with FDISK into 8 partitions each
32 MB. They will be assigned drive letters from C: to J: assuming you
have nothing else. When you start getting into the 300 MB zone, you
start to run out of drive letter   :-(, and I heard that FDISK will not
allow you to partition disk to > 8 partitions. So, you must move to
DOS 4.01.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (09/27/90)

In a recent article scholes@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (Marty Scholes) writes:

>On my machine (generic 386-20), Win3 locks up at the title screen if I
>try to run enhanced mode.  It runs standard and real just fine.

One of our people here had that problem.  It turned out that the user had
just upgraded from a PS/2-50 to a -50 SX (i.e., '286 to '386) and had
copied over the entire fixed disk contents intact.  The solution was to
reload Windows.

In this case the Windows system runs on a Novell network (i.e., the user's
machine has only a few K of files) but I don't think that is significant.

Although I didn't follow up to verify the analysis it appears that if you
install Windows in a '286 environment the system.ini file doesn't get
set up properly.  In this case, for example, there was no program named
in the [boot] section of system.ini on the '386grabber' line.

Ah...would someone in Microsoft please ask the Windows development people
to check at Windows startup to verify that the minimum set of files exist
before committing the system to Windows?  (Assuming, of course, that this
really *is* the problem.)

Joe Morris

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/01/90)

In article <18950036@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>> On my machine (generic 386-20), Win3 locks up at the title screen if I
>> try to run enhanced mode.  It runs standard and real just fine.  I have
>> traced the problem to DMDRVR.BIN (Disk manager).  I would be VERY interested
>>
>Sounds like you're real lucky that your disk is still working. It is
>a known problem that Windows 3.0 used with Disk Manager trashed hard disk
>FAT.
>
>> in knowing how I can get around this problem short of going to DOS 4.01
>> (I'm not sure what it would take to change OS's and the partitions, but
>> I imagine that it would require a backup, and playing games with 200 megs
>> of data just doesn't seem all that fun).  If anyone knows of any solution,
>> please feel free to post.  Thanx in advance, Marty
>> ----------
>>
>I don't think there's a way around this without re-partitioning &
>re-formatting the disk. Unless DOS 4.01 disk format and FAT is same as
>the one used by Disk Manager which I sincerely doubt.
>
>Anyway, I feel that with disk size less than 256 MB, you can get away
>with DOS 3.3. Just partition the disk with FDISK into 8 partitions each
>32 MB. They will be assigned drive letters from C: to J: assuming you
>have nothing else. When you start getting into the 300 MB zone, you
>start to run out of drive letter   :-(, and I heard that FDISK will not
>allow you to partition disk to > 8 partitions. So, you must move to
>DOS 4.01.

I have not heard this. In fact, I have a 307Mbyte SCSI system partitioned into
drives D - L at 32Mbytes each and then drive M at 19Mbytes under 3.3.

Personally I don't mind having the partitions this way, I think of them as
more subdirectories and have them divided up into logical areas anyway. One
might be windows stuff, another for programming stuff, etc. 'Course, haven't
put anything on drives past G yet, but I am getting there.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254