[comp.windows.ms] bug in Codeview for Windows while in Super-VGA mode

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (09/18/90)

Seems that if you run CVW in 1024x768x16 (VRAM VGA) and your app opens a
window, you'll get a garbaged window of alternating 10-pixel-wide-or-so
green vertical bars and after leaving CVW your old windows are refreshed,
but the background is still trashed, the mouse doesn't work, and a reboot
or hard reset is necessary.

Running in standard VGA resolutions it works OK.  I haven't tried 800x600
but would guess it screws up too.

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (09/18/90)

In article <6577@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>Seems that if you run CVW in 1024x768x16 (VRAM VGA) and your app opens a
>window, you'll get a garbaged window of alternating 10-pixel-wide-or-so
>green vertical bars and after leaving CVW your old windows are refreshed,
>but the background is still trashed, the mouse doesn't work, and a reboot
>or hard reset is necessary.
>
>Running in standard VGA resolutions it works OK.  I haven't tried 800x600
>but would guess it screws up too.

Yes, I have noticed that the V7 800 X 600 driver causes the screen to go to
garbage when you start an app using CVW. This is probably a bug in the driver.

I have to switch to the standard Win 3 VGA driver when I use CVW. The only
bitch with that is that I think it is VERY slow compared to the V7 driver.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

david@jdyx.UUCP (David Mandell) (09/18/90)

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:

>Seems that if you run CVW in 1024x768x16 (VRAM VGA) and your app opens a
>window, you'll get a garbaged window of alternating 10-pixel-wide-or-so
>green vertical bars and after leaving CVW your old windows are refreshed,
>but the background is still trashed, the mouse doesn't work, and a reboot
>or hard reset is necessary.

>Running in standard VGA resolutions it works OK.  I haven't tried 800x600
>but would guess it screws up too.

I had the same problem some time back and reported it to Headland Tech.
They have a new version of the drivers available (as of a few days ago)
on their BBS (415-656-0503) that are supposed to work under CVW.  The
drivers are in a file called win30.zip (I think) under the Misc. download
section.

I haven't yet had a chance to try the new drivers personally, so I can't
vouch for them.

--
David G. Mandell           david@jdyx.UUCP       david@jdyx.atlanta.ga.us
PLANNET CRAFTERS           gatech!emory!jdyx!david

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (09/19/90)

>/ hpavla:comp.windows.ms / karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) /  9:58 pm  Sep 17, 1990 /
>Seems that if you run CVW in 1024x768x16 (VRAM VGA) and your app opens a
>window, you'll get a garbaged window of alternating 10-pixel-wide-or-so
>green vertical bars and after leaving CVW your old windows are refreshed,
>but the background is still trashed, the mouse doesn't work, and a reboot
>or hard reset is necessary.
>
>Running in standard VGA resolutions it works OK.  I haven't tried 800x600
>but would guess it screws up too.

That happens to us, too.  800x600x16 is just as screwed up.  We have 1024i
cards, so it sounds like the driver, not the card (unless its something common
in the design :-)).  I have sent a fax to Video-7 Tech Support, and will let
know if they tell me anything interesting.

							Mark
							pfeifer@avo.hp.com

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep18.165215.22281@jdyx.UUCP> david@jdyx.UUCP (David Mandell) writes:
>karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>
>>Seems that if you run CVW in 1024x768x16 (VRAM VGA) and your app opens a
>>window, you'll get a garbaged window of alternating 10-pixel-wide-or-so
>>green vertical bars and after leaving CVW your old windows are refreshed,
>>but the background is still trashed, the mouse doesn't work, and a reboot
>>or hard reset is necessary.
>
>>Running in standard VGA resolutions it works OK.  I haven't tried 800x600
>>but would guess it screws up too.
>
>I had the same problem some time back and reported it to Headland Tech.
>They have a new version of the drivers available (as of a few days ago)
>on their BBS (415-656-0503) that are supposed to work under CVW.  The
>drivers are in a file called win30.zip (I think) under the Misc. download
>section.
>
>I haven't yet had a chance to try the new drivers personally, so I can't
>vouch for them.

Well, I will try again, but somebody mentioned this a few days ago (that the
fixed drivers were available), so I went and downloaded them, and they were
unchanged, that is they still didn't work. (File sizes identical too). Either
that person didn't know what they were talking about, or Headland lied.

Anyway, I will try again.

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/03/90)

>>They have a new version of the drivers available (as of a few days ago)
>>on their BBS (415-656-0503) that are supposed to work under CVW.  The
>>drivers are in a file called win30.zip (I think) under the Misc. download
>>section.
>... that is they still didn't work.

They work for me... on a VRAM VGA w/512K (1024x768 noninterlaced).
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl (wk), uunet!sugar!karl (hm)
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is