[comp.windows.ms] Bug in Windows Terminal?

pbrown@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) (10/03/90)

I was running TERMINAL in Windows 3.0 this morning with the window open but
no active communications going on.  I got a phone call and the system went
straight into a cold boot, no questions asked, no money back...  I tried
to duplicate this problem later and succeeded.  It only seems to happen
when I have TERMINAL running.  Is it just me???

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/04/90)

pbrown@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) writes:

>I was running TERMINAL in Windows 3.0 this morning with the window open but
>no active communications going on.  I got a phone call and the system went
>straight into a cold boot, no questions asked, no money back...  I tried
>to duplicate this problem later and succeeded.  It only seems to happen
>when I have TERMINAL running.  Is it just me???

I have found that if you try to connect to a serial port when there's
nothing there, your system will reboot.  I'm not sure about a modem in
response to a ringing phone.  MS is aware of the problem.  There is no
work-around.  It has to do with the comm driver.  Crosstalk for Windows
has the same problem.  If you're connected to an A-B switch and rotate
the switch, you will reboot if running Terminal on that port.

I hope this "feature" gets fixed in 3.1.  It's a really nasty one.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014