[comp.windows.ms] Query: Which would you recommend? Windows? or OS2 w/ PM?

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (09/19/90)

Here's a question for the net:

I was looking through some magazines lately and came up with these (rounded,
from memory) figures:

OS2 SE/PM:  $295        Windows:        $129
			MS-DOS:         $ 65
	    ----                        ----
	    $295                        $194

A difference of only $101.  For an operating system that leaps as far ahead
of MSDOS as OS2 does, and for a better integrated GUI, that seems an awful
small price to pay.

This brings up a few questions in my mind.  Why would anyone buy Windows
when such a better alternative is available for a comparative price?

Also, why doesn't Microsoft try to push OS2 more?  I can see how they would
be afraid to at this time, considering how Windows 3.0 has taken off, but
why didn't they before?  And will they in the future?

Disclaimer:  I have used both OS2 and Windows 3.0, and they are both (in my
	     eyes) good products.  I am not Windows bashing here.

In article <4227@rex.cs.tulane.edu> I wrote:

>I was looking through some magazines lately and came up with these (rounded,
>from memory) figures:
>
>OS2 SE/PM:  $295        Windows:        $129
>                        MS-DOS:         $ 65
>            ----        ^^^^^^          ----
>            $295        ||||||          $194
			  \  /
And this is for 3.3, add another $50 for 4.0, and who know show much for 5.0?

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (09/20/90)

In article <4227@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>Here's a question for the net:
>
>I was looking through some magazines lately and came up with these (rounded,
>from memory) figures:
>
>OS2 SE/PM:  $295        Windows:        $129
>			MS-DOS:         $ 65
>	    ----                        ----
>	    $295                        $194
>
>A difference of only $101.  For an operating system that leaps as far ahead
>of MSDOS as OS2 does, and for a better integrated GUI, that seems an awful
>small price to pay.
>
>This brings up a few questions in my mind.  Why would anyone buy Windows
>when such a better alternative is available for a comparative price?

While the quality of the OS is an important consideration (and OS/2 is a much
better OS than Windows + DOS), the quality of available applications is an even
bigger factor.  Things like Ami Pro, Corel Draw, Winword, and such don't exist
for OS/2.  Yet.

>Also, why doesn't Microsoft try to push OS2 more?  I can see how they would
>be afraid to at this time, considering how Windows 3.0 has taken off, but
>why didn't they before?  And will they in the future?

If OS/2 2.0 runs Windows binaries like MS claims, I think you'll see a *very*
big push when it comes out.

Right now, though, MS basically got rivals Lotus and Wordperfect to devote
resources to OS/2, then came out with Windows 3 and left them holding the
(empty) bag with no Windows 3 products...

Aaron Wallace

twagner@baobab.berkeley.edu (Tim Wagner) (09/20/90)

John Keating writes:In article <4227@rex.cs.tulane.edu>,
keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
|> Here's a question for the net:
|>
|> I was looking through some magazines lately and came up with these (rounded,
|> from memory) figures:
|>
|> OS2 SE/PM:  $295        Windows:        $129
|> 			MS-DOS:         $ 65
|> 	    ----                        ----
|> 	    $295                        $194
|>
|> A difference of only $101.  For an operating system that leaps as far ahead
|> of MSDOS as OS2 does, and for a better integrated GUI, that seems an awful
|> small price to pay.
|>
|> This brings up a few questions in my mind.  Why would anyone buy Windows
|> when such a better alternative is available for a comparative price?
|>
|> Also, why doesn't Microsoft try to push OS2 more?  I can see how they would
|> be afraid to at this time, considering how Windows 3.0 has taken off, but
|> why didn't they before?  And will they in the future?
|>
|> Disclaimer:  I have used both OS2 and Windows 3.0, and they are both (in my
|> 	     eyes) good products.  I am not Windows bashing here.

People I have spoken to suspect that MS is waiting for version 2.0, and
possibly another hardware base before really marketing OS/2 with a vengeance.
The 1.x versions thus playing a sort of "extended beta-test" role in their
mind (though probably not in IBM's).  Also, they seem to have an evolutionary
goal for current DOS/Windows users, rather than a throw-away strategy.

Speaking of which, net-readers, does anyone know whether 2.0 has been
officially announced/released?

Tim Wagner
UC Berkeley
twagner@sequoia.Berkeley.EDU
Programming Environments Research Group
* Standard Disclaimers apply to this posting

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (09/20/90)

In article <27980@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> twagner@baobab.berkeley.edu (Tim Wagner) writes:

>Speaking of which, net-readers, does anyone know whether 2.0 has been
>officially announced/released?

In join announcements Monday (Sept 17) IBM and Microsoft redefined their
respective roles in the development of OS/2.   Included in the press
releases was a statement that OS/2 2.0 would be released by IBM to "selected
customers" before the end of this year and would be generally available in
1991.

Other parts of the announcement included that IBM now has primary development
responsibilty for OS/2 1.x and 2.0, with MS doing the future portable OS/2.
Also announced cross-licensing for OS/2, DOS, and Windows.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@staff.ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

bnathan@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Bob Nathan) (09/20/90)

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:

>Here's a question for the net:

>This brings up a few questions in my mind.  Why would anyone buy Windows
>when such a better alternative is available for a comparative price?

How about because DOS programs work under WIN and DONT under compatibility
box?  (n.b. this from a guy who just had his disk trashed by WIN!?  what am
I saying?) (At least OS/2 never trashed my disk.)

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/21/90)

In article <4227@rex.cs.tulane.edu> I wrote:

>I was looking through some magazines lately and came up with these (rounded,
>from memory) figures:
>
>OS2 SE/PM:  $295        Windows:        $129
>                        MS-DOS:         $ 65
>            ----        ^^^^^^          ----
>            $295        ||||||          $194

Only two problems with this argument. There is lot's of Windows and DOS
programs. And OS2 is full of bugs, and the up and coming OS/2 version 2.0
is going to change all the rules.

So, take your pick.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep19.171840.9384@portia.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>Right now, though, MS basically got rivals Lotus and Wordperfect to devote
>resources to OS/2, then came out with Windows 3 and left them holding the
>(empty) bag with no Windows 3 products...

This isn't true.  For seven years, a group of people at Microsoft have been
pushing Windows.  More recently, another group of people at Microsoft
started pushing OS/2.  Lotus, WordPerfect, and some others looked at the
long run and said "Forget Windows.  OS/2 is going to blow it away." In the
long run, this is still true.

Although people convulsed with laughter whenever they saw Windows 1.X and
2.X, version 3.0 is good enough it has caught on.  But this caught Lotus
and WordPerfect by surprise; they never thought Windows would amount to
anything.  For now, at least, Windows is selling very well, so they are
scrambling to get products ready.

There never was a secret plan to trick Microsoft's rivals.  Microsoft has
been developing for both platforms all along, and encouraging everyone else
to do the same -- but for six years, everyone considered Windows to be a
joke.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (09/22/90)

In article <624@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM>, bnathan@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Bob Nathan) writes:

> How about because DOS programs work under WIN and DONT under compatibility
> box?  (n.b. this from a guy who just had his disk trashed by WIN!?  what am
> I saying?) (At least OS/2 never trashed my disk.)

Please be careful with blanket statements like this.  I have many, many
DOS programs that work just fine in DOS mode (a.k.a. the compatibility box).
The OS/2 documentation clearly spells out which programs are most likely to
fail in DOS mode, such as communications programs, but I'd like to note that
ProComm works just fine in DOS mode.  True, I have encountered DOS programs
that do fail in DOS mode, but they're in the minority.

Incidentally, I believe that the compatibility of the "compatibility box"
will be improved in OS/2 version 2.0, which will utilize the virtual 8086
capabilities of the 80386 processor.  At least ill-behaved DOS programs
won't bring down the whole system, as they can under version 1.X, which
has to put the processor into real mode to run DOS programs.

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (09/22/90)

>From: steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings)
>
>In article <1990Sep19.171840.9384@portia.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>>Right now, though, MS basically got rivals Lotus and Wordperfect to devote
>>resources to OS/2, then came out with Windows 3 and left them holding the
>>(empty) bag with no Windows 3 products...
>
>This isn't true.  For seven years, a group of people at Microsoft have been
>long run and said "Forget Windows.  OS/2 is going to blow it away." In the
>long run, this is still true.
>
>There never was a secret plan to trick Microsoft's rivals.  Microsoft has

Forget rivals, What about IBM?

I have used and programmed serious windows applications for 3.5 years.
I have been very impressed with the look of win3 and performance.  But,
after several months of new development and usage, I must say that
there are still a lot of bugs win win3.  I say a lot because when
my system crashes when using normal apps (winword, pagemaker, ami) who
am I to blame?  I can never reproduce the errors.  Just suddenly a stupid
unrecoverable error appears and boom!  I don't recall this problem in
win386.  And my systems are 100% IBM.  (btw, I am now experimenting with
Actor development.  I don't need to buy additonal video hardware to
debug it and I get the benefits of OO programming.

So I got OS/2 1.3 (I think, version?) with PM and its sdk and I like it.
Why?  Because I don't have a DOS machine sitting there.  No matter how nice
windows gets, DOS is still there.  When win4 or 5 comes out maybe you will boot
them but not DOS;  but this is what OS2 IS!
I am now getting smalltalk for PM development.

What really interesting with a whimsical tone is seeing a non-computer
scientist buy a machine and try to configure windows. HA! now way.
Especially with some of the less popular hardware manufactures.

I guess what I am trying to say is that my tires are loosing air on
the window 3 ride.  I have paid + $1500 for msc 6.0, SDK, win3, QuickC,
winword and others per machine.  In addition, I find that anything
less than 20-25mhz is just too slow to do 6.0 compiles.  Also, 3mb
seems to be a good minimum for memory to keep from swapping so much.
Plus $250 for a video card and debugging monitor.  That ends up
being about $5000 to develope windows applications!  Yes, I have
tried similar 16mhz and less memory but I hate waiting.  (Note: actor
was only $99 and supports all SDK calls).   No one at micrsoft told
me that I need additional hardware to debug win apps when I ordered
the upgrade.  No one told me what I have to do to upgrade my  old apps.
No one told me that I would have to PAY FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT!!!!!
In fact the whole 'mums the word' mood about windows 3 unoffical
development pisses me off in retrospect.  But I jumped on the
bandwagon.  I think the marketing
reps at microsoft are amazing and deserve a raise.  I sure would want
them working for me.  I wish there were more critical reviews about
win3 vs. Deskview vs. PS2 PM vs. DOS vs...  Reviews including productivity
measures.   But no, what do we have.  Well I have yet to talk to anyone
about win3 at microsoft.  I have made numerous 20 minute calls but
had to hang up.

I have been an avid windows developer for 3.5 years now, but I feel
micrsoft has abandoned their faithful developers through cost and
lack of tech. support.

GO OS2 PM, GO OS2 PM.  Give me the look and feel of Unix and Motif !!!!!
But please (IBM) don't leave me out in the cold.  Do us right, like
sell PM sdk for < $100 with each OS2.

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (09/22/90)

In article <15114@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>GO OS2 PM, GO OS2 PM.  Give me the look and feel of Unix and Motif !!!!!
>But please (IBM) don't leave me out in the cold.  Do us right, like
>sell PM sdk for < $100 with each OS2.

Here, here!

    JWKIII
*  \|/ John William Keating, III >Ragnorak< keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu \|/  *
* --*=========================  //////\\\\\\  =========================*-- *
*  /|\         "Wands don't kill people, people kill people."         /|\  *

CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (09/22/90)

In article <4227@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
> Here's a question for the net:
> This brings up a few questions in my mind.  Why would anyone buy Windows
> when such a better alternative is available for a comparative price?
>
> Also, why doesn't Microsoft try to push OS2 more?  I can see how they would
> be afraid to at this time, considering how Windows 3.0 has taken off, but
> why didn't they before?  And will they in the future?

Windows is a DOS program, and as such is supported on the
zillions of DOS machines out there with little trauma.  Plus, it
works with a piddly amount of memory (as little as 1MB), has
quite a large number of existing Windows programs that are
compatible with it (sort of), and the 386 mode uses the 386 to
run virtual DOS windows more effectively than OS/2 does, which
is still a 286 program.

When OS/2 version 2.0, the 386/486 version, is released
things might move a bit more quickly.  Anyway, I hope so!

Mark Kosten,           phone: +61 3 479-2767
Computer Centre,       AARNet (internet): ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au
La Trobe University,   ACSnet: ccmk@lure.lat.oz.au
Bundoora, 3083         X.25 (PSI): 2347300000::ccmk
Australia

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (09/22/90)

In article <15114@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>... I can never reproduce the errors.  Just suddenly a stupid
>unrecoverable error appears and boom!  I don't recall this problem in
>win386.

That's because win386 didn't run in trap memory writes out of bounds,
so buggy applications weren't caught when they did nasty things. I
consider this to be a benefit of Win3, not a bug. Most of those
"Unrecoverable Application Errors" are programs referencing pointers
that point to lalaland. Serves 'em right!

>What really interesting with a whimsical tone is seeing a non-computer
>scientist buy a machine and try to configure windows. HA! now way.
>Especially with some of the less popular hardware manufactures.

What is extremely funny is watching a computer scientist trying to set
up OS/2! At work this summer most people (real live computer
programmers) had enormous problems just trying to set up OS/2. Windows
is much easier.

>I guess what I am trying to say is that my tires are loosing air on
>the window 3 ride.  I have paid + $1500 for msc 6.0, SDK, win3, QuickC,
>winword and others per machine.

Ha, if you think OS/2 is going to be cheaper, have I got news for you.

>... Plus $250 for a video card and debugging monitor.

huh? you are being duped. I bought a debugging monitor AND card for
windows last week for $100. Oh, you are using Microchannel, you say?
ha ha ha ha ha. Didn't everybody tell you when that came out that it
would be non standard and in the long run much more expensive?

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/23/90)

In article <57630@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
|Lotus, WordPerfect, and some others looked at the
|long run and said "Forget Windows.  OS/2 is going to blow it away." In the
|long run, this is still true.

But Steve, haven't you heard? MS and IBM are close to filing divorce.
IBM is going to get OS/2. In retaliation, MS has threatened to revoke
the planned crippling of Windows that would have been required to avoid
embarassing OS/2. Namely, Windows could get a high performance filesystem
and real multitasking. At that point, what would be the difference
between the two as far as the user is concerned?

|There never was a secret plan to trick Microsoft's rivals.  Microsoft has
|been developing for both platforms all along, and encouraging everyone else

Hm. Where's Word for OS/2? Where's Powerpoint for OS/2? Where's Project
for OS/2?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Freedom is dead, long live privacy!

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (09/24/90)

In article <4227@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>Here's a question for the net:
>
>I was looking through some magazines lately and came up with these (rounded,
>from memory) figures:
>
>A difference of only $101.  For an operating system that leaps as far ahead
>of MSDOS as OS2 does, and for a better integrated GUI, that seems an awful
>small price to pay.
>
>This brings up a few questions in my mind.  Why would anyone buy Windows
>when such a better alternative is available for a comparative price?

Well, the difference is not only in the price of the software.  In order
to effectively run OS/2 you'd need a 386 with, oh, lets say 3 Meg of
memory and at least 20 Meg of disk space.

Windows would probably run as well in 2 meg of memory and it needs only
6 meg of disk space.  (I'm basing this on running both on a 3 Meg
Compaq Portable and seeing the speed differences).

The other issue to look into is support for said systems.  The last I
knew, printer driver (and other hardware driver) support for OS/2 was
rather limited.  Software availability is somewhat limited as well,
though you will be able to find programs to support the major things
on PM, such as desktop publishing, word processing, spreadsheet
operations, and data-base support.

I'm sure there are other issues that I've not mentioned, but I believe
that OS/2 and PM are still a "rich mans" game.
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep23.065916.10069@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <57630@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>|Lotus, WordPerfect, and some others looked at the
>|long run and said "Forget Windows.  OS/2 is going to blow it away." In the
>|long run, this is still true.

>But Steve, haven't you heard? MS and IBM are close to filing divorce.
>IBM is going to get OS/2. In retaliation, MS has threatened to revoke
>the planned crippling of Windows that would have been required to avoid
>embarassing OS/2. Namely, Windows could get a high performance filesystem
>and real multitasking. At that point, what would be the difference
>between the two as far as the user is concerned?

Actually, this isn't what I've heard recently.  I understand that MS and
IBM have "made up" and come up with a coordinated plan.  That plan is to
push Windows as the standard platform.  Look for IBM to start bundling
Windows with its PS/2's and the like.  You'll probably still see OS/2
on the high-end systems, but IBM has finally realized that they can't
singlehandedly push something completely big and bloated (like OS/2) beyond
something only mildly big and bloated (like Windows) in today's marketplace.

Now, maybe Steve has some inside information that we don't (how about it,
Steve?), but everything I've heard supports Windows dominating over OS/2.
Not to mention what you see by just comparing the sheer numbers of
units sold...
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
UUCP: ames!vsi1!headland!jls

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep23.065916.10069@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>Hm. Where's Word for OS/2? Where's Powerpoint for OS/2? Where's Project
>for OS/2?

I have no authority to comment on unreleased products, but I think I might
point out to you that there is a Software Migration Kit that allows Windows
products to be ported to OS/2, but there is no kit that works the other way
around.  Also, I have read in _PC Week_ that OS/2 2.X will run Windows
binaries.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (09/26/90)

     For those interested, the October issue of BYTE has an article titled
"Through the OS/2 Porthole" by Martin Heller.  The article is in a section
"Beyond DOS: Windows and OS/2" which looks like it will be a regular feature in
the magazine.  The article talks about the various options that are available
for getting Windows 3.0 applications to run under OS/2 version 2.0.  It looks
although developers will be able to do a quick and dirty port by the use of
OS/2 code which emulates Windows functions.  The port can then be speeded up
and made less cumbersome by replacing selected portions of the code with OS/2
code.
--
Did you hear the joke about the scientist whose wife had twins?
    - He baptized one and kept the other as a control.

Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (09/26/90)

In article <57717@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>I have no authority to comment on unreleased products, but I think I might
>point out to you that there is a Software Migration Kit that allows Windows
>products to be ported to OS/2...

If the SMK works as well as it is supposed to ("a few days" to port
an application is the claim), I really have to ask why there is still no
released Word for PM, a year after WFW was released.

I realize the people from Microsoft who respond in this newsgroup don't
get to control these decisions (and really appreciate your participation
by the way...), but Microsoft's credibility with respect to OS/2 is
getting less day by day.

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (09/27/90)

In article <9738@ubc-cs.UUCP>, ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) says:

>If the SMK works as well as it is supposed to ("a few days" to port
>an application is the claim), I really have to ask why there is still no
>released Word for PM, a year after WFW was released.

Microsoft has been showing Word for PM for over a year.  I've seen it.

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (09/27/90)

In article <4966@hsv3.UUCP> jls@headland.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:
>Now, maybe Steve has some inside information that we don't (how about it,
>Steve?)

Sorry, but no.  I don't have any inside information.  I formed all my
opinions by reading _PC Week_, _Infoworld_, and that press release.  If
I did have inside information I would not post it -- I signed a
nondisclosure agreement.
--

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (09/27/90)

In article <90269.183207LAIH@QUCDN.BITNET>, LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) writes:

> Microsoft has been showing Word for PM for over a year.  I've seen it.

I'd like to have seen it.  Microsoft had a counter at a computer fair held on
campus recently, and I asked the representative about Word for PM.  He
wouldn't comment about an unannounced product.

Microsoft also had a booth at a local computer show about a week later.  Once
again I asked about Word for PM, but the representative claimed ignorance
and referred me to their 800 number.  I haven't tried the 800 number yet, but
I fully expect to be told that they won't comment about an unannounced
product.

In contrast to Microsoft's zippered lips, the representative from WordPerfect
said, without hesitation, that their PM version should be out by next summer.

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (09/27/90)

(On a long thread connected with OS/2)

In case you haven't heard the news yet, OS/2 is dead.  Microsoft
is "putting all it's wood behind one arrow" (to borrow a phrase
from Scott McNeally) and putting everything into Windows 3.1, 4, 5...
Expect two windows releases for every Intel microprocessor!

IBM is going to extend OS/2 on intel hardware (Why!!!!????).
Microsoft plans to eventually redo OS/2 in C in a architecture
independent way, so as to keep it's foot in the OS door.

Considering it took 3 years for 'em to get a barely acceptable
OS/2 v2 running, I'm not holding my breath.  I think 2 years more
is too much time given competition from NeXT (especially NeXTStep)
and SPARC-MIPS Unix boxes.

IBM has started offering NeXTSTEP as an option on PS/2..
interesting world, ain't it??

>Did you hear the joke about the scientist whose wife had twins?
>    - He baptized one and kept the other as a control.
	Good one!

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (09/27/90)

In article <12206@chaph.usc.edu>, ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
|>(On a long thread connected with OS/2)
|>
|>In case you haven't heard the news yet, OS/2 is dead.  Microsoft
|>is "putting all it's wood behind one arrow" (to borrow a phrase
|>from Scott McNeally) and putting everything into Windows 3.1, 4, 5...
|>Expect two windows releases for every Intel microprocessor!

No, I hadn't heard, but that's probably just because it's not true.  From
everything I've seen, OS/2 is moving right along.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jmann@es.stratus.com

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (09/28/90)

*>> How about because DOS programs work under WIN and DONT under compatibility
*>> box?  (n.b. this from a guy who just had his disk trashed by WIN!?  what am
*>> I saying?) (At least OS/2 never trashed my disk.)

Hmm... How about: "because there's only ONE
compatibility box???

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (09/28/90)

In article <12206@chaph.usc.edu> ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>(On a long thread connected with OS/2)
>
>In case you haven't heard the news yet, OS/2 is dead.  Microsoft
>is "putting all it's wood behind one arrow" (to borrow a phrase
>from Scott McNeally) and putting everything into Windows 3.1, 4, 5...

That seems like a pretty stupid plan if you ask me. Any DOS based multi-tasking
system is going to stink. It's not that MS DOS is a "bad" operating system, but
an OS based on a single-tasking, 1MB chips, designed ten years ago is silly.

MS DOS has serious problems with dealing with multi-tasking. This is very
evident when running programs like DESQview, or Windows. Windows 3 is neat,
it looks good, and it's slow as hell in comparison to OS/2 and PM. I run
a BBS, and I can run the BBS under DOS/Windows, and under OS/2. I can't
do much, however when running under Windows, because the system performance
degrades by half. Under OS/2, I can run the BBS, call another BBS, run
my C compiler, read mail, and do other things without killing my performace
much. The VMM is a lot better under this 80286 operating system, versus the
80386 version of windows - the reason? MS DOS. You can't force a volkswagon
to perform like a ferarri, unless you put a farrari engine and suspension
into the volkswagon. This is what OS/2 does.

When the time comes that I can no longer get OS/2 and supported products for
it, I will run something else. Until then I will continue to use, and praise
OS/2 - a product from a company I otherwise have little respect for.

- Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (09/28/90)

In article <90269.183207LAIH@QUCDN.BITNET> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) writes:
>In article <9738@ubc-cs.UUCP>, ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) says:
>>
>>If the SMK works as well as it is supposed to ("a few days" to port
>>an application is the claim), I really have to ask why there is still no
>>released Word for PM, a year after WFW was released.
>
>Microsoft has been showing Word for PM for over a year.  I've seen it.

I don't see how that qualifies as being released.

--
Computer Science Center		Richard Oppenheimer
University of Maryland		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) (09/28/90)

I consider it a generalization to say that OS/2 needs a fast 386 and an nn
megabyte of hard disk. I have OS/2 1.1 running on a fast AT compatible, and
it flies - I have no problems with its performance. In fact, I switch
to DOS box and run benchmarks (SI, Landmark,etc) and they report very
small degradation.
Regards, -turgut

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (09/28/90)

In article <90270.162249TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET> TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) writes:
>I consider it a generalization to say that OS/2 needs a fast 386 and an nn
>megabyte of hard disk. I have OS/2 1.1 running on a fast AT compatible, and
>it flies - I have no problems with its performance. In fact, I switch
>to DOS box and run benchmarks (SI, Landmark,etc) and they report very
>small degradation.
>Regards, -turgut

Of course they report very small degredation, because the OS/2
"compatability box" just switches off OS/2 completely. It makes no
attempt to multitask or otherwise intervene in the operation of the
DOS box like Windows does. That is why, in OS/2 (unlike Win 3 on a
386), in a DOS box, you can't cut and paste, you can't multitask, you
can't put the DOS box in a window, and you can't run more than one DOS
box. Today, this is a good argument for Windows. If and when OS/2 2.0
has multiple widowizable DOS boxes, then it will have caught up to
Windows....

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (09/28/90)

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:

>In article <90270.162249TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET> TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) writes:
>>..
>>it flies - I have no problems with its performance. In fact, I switch
>>to DOS box and run benchmarks (SI, Landmark,etc) and they report very
>>small degradation.
>>Regards, -turgut

>Of course they report very small degredation, because the OS/2
>"compatability box" just switches off OS/2 completely. It makes no
>attempt to multitask or otherwise intervene in the operation of the

This is not true. The OS/2 compatibility box (i.e. the DOS box) does not
switch off OS/2. OS/2 tasks continue to run while you are in the DOS box.
On the other hand, the DOS box task does not run while it is iconized.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) (09/28/90)

Joel: Not quite - I have seen background tasks run in the OS/2 sessions
while you are tinkering in the DOS box. For example, I can view the
results in the DOS page of a ray traced picture, and have the ray tracer
start working on the next picture in an OS/2 partition.

Similarly, I can print while working in the DOS page. OS/2 only stops the
DOS box when you switch away from it - it doesn't stop OS/2 processes
while you are in the DOS box. (I think I read this in Gorton Letwin's
book too)..   Regards, -turgut

db3l@ibm.com (David Bolen) (09/29/90)

In article <26395@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:

>In article <90270.162249TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET> TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) writes:
>>I consider it a generalization to say that OS/2 needs a fast 386 and an nn
>>megabyte of hard disk. I have OS/2 1.1 running on a fast AT compatible, and
>>it flies - I have no problems with its performance. In fact, I switch
>>to DOS box and run benchmarks (SI, Landmark,etc) and they report very
>>small degradation.
>>Regards, -turgut
>

>Of course they report very small degredation, because the OS/2
>"compatability box" just switches off OS/2 completely. It makes no
>attempt to multitask or otherwise intervene in the operation of the
>DOS box like Windows does.

I can't argue that having "multiple windowizable DOS boxes" with OS/2 2.0
won't be better than the current DOS box, but OS/2 is definitely
multitasking when you are running in the DOS box.  True, you can have
only a single DOS box on an OS/2 1.x system, but any OS/2 applications
will continue to execute in the background.  Only the DOS box itself is
required to be in the foreground to run.

>                            That is why, in OS/2 (unlike Win 3 on a
>386), in a DOS box, you can't cut and paste, you can't multitask, you
>can't put the DOS box in a window, and you can't run more than one DOS
>box. Today, this is a good argument for Windows. If and when OS/2 2.0
>has multiple widowizable DOS boxes, then it will have caught up to
>Windows....

Cut and pasting doesn't really have anything to do with multitasking, but
more with how the window manager controls the input to applications.  In
terms of multitasking, OS/2 has the better tasking model, with a fully
preemptive scheduler (it *actively* takes the CPU away from tasks when they
use up their timeslice).  Windows, on the other hand, requires cooperation
on the part of applications to periodically yield the CPU.  True, if you
are simply comparing how many DOS windows you can run at once for Windows 3.0
and OS/2 1.x, Windows comes out ahead.  But OS/2 is built on a better base,
and with 2.0 will catch up in the multiple DOS task area.

-- David

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin E. Sylvain) (09/29/90)

In article <15114@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>From: steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings)
>>
>>In article <1990Sep19.171840.9384@portia.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
[ muchly left out ]
>I have been very impressed with the look of win3 and performance.  But,
>after several months of new development and usage, I must say that
>there are still a lot of bugs win win3.  I say a lot because when
>my system crashes when using normal apps (winword, pagemaker, ami) who
>am I to blame?  I can never reproduce the errors.  Just suddenly a stupid
>unrecoverable error appears and boom!  I don't recall this problem in
>win386.  And my systems are 100% IBM.  (btw, I am now experimenting with
                             ^^^^^^^^
[ muchly more left out ]         |
                                 +-----+

Well, there's your problem right there!  Everybody ought to know
by now that IBM makes products inferior to at least half the clone
products on the market!  Get rid of those silly letters and get
yourself a REAL machine!  ;-)

"I got protection for my    |               Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain
affections, so swing your   |   Natch, nobody'd be *fool* enough to have
bootie in my direction!"    |   *my* opinions, 'ceptin' *me*, of course!
-=--=--=--"BANDWIDTH??  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BANDWIDTH!!"--=--=--=-

bobt@microsoft.UUCP (Bob TANIGUCHI) (09/29/90)

In article <9738@ubc-cs.UUCP> ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
>If the SMK works as well as it is supposed to ("a few days" to port
>an application is the claim), I really have to ask why there is still no
>released Word for PM, a year after WFW was released.

The SMK is currently in prerelease.  Really, it hasn't hit what would
be considered "beta" release even now.

I'd feel bad about this comment if the SMK were truly released, given
it's state of prerelease, and hence the non-release of PM Word are all
fairly related events.

Bob Taniguchi
Systems Product Marketing

CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (09/29/90)

In article <2486@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
> In article <12206@chaph.usc.edu>, ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
> |>(On a long thread connected with OS/2)
> |>
> |>In case you haven't heard the news yet, OS/2 is dead.  Microsoft
> |>is "putting all it's wood behind one arrow" (to borrow a phrase
> |>from Scott McNeally) and putting everything into Windows 3.1, 4, 5...
> |>Expect two windows releases for every Intel microprocessor!
> |>
> No, I hadn't heard, but that's probably just because it's not true.  From
> everything I've seen, OS/2 is moving right along.

Okay - but we want it SOONER and BETTER!

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (09/30/90)

In article <26395@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>That is why, in OS/2 (unlike Win 3 on a
>386), in a DOS box, you can't cut and paste, you can't multitask, you
>can't put the DOS box in a window, and you can't run more than one DOS
>box. Today, this is a good argument for Windows. If and when OS/2 2.0
>has multiple widowizable DOS boxes, then it will have caught up to
>Windows....

Personally, I have no need for the DOS box in OS/2 and don't even have
in enabled. I do all of my development,editing, and network administration
from and only OS/2.
DOS is dead.
--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (10/01/90)

From article <26395@cs.yale.edu>, by spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky):
> In article <90270.162249TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET> TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) writes:
>>it flies - I have no problems with its performance. In fact, I switch
>>to DOS box and run benchmarks (SI, Landmark,etc) and they report very
>>small degradation.
>
> Of course they report very small degredation, because the OS/2
> "compatability box" just switches off OS/2 completely. It makes no
> attempt to multitask or otherwise intervene in the operation of the
> DOS box like Windows does. That is why, in OS/2 (unlike Win 3 on a
> 386), in a DOS box, you can't cut and paste, you can't multitask, you
> can't put the DOS box in a window, and you can't run more than one DOS
> box. Today, this is a good argument for Windows. If and when OS/2 2.0
> has multiple widowizable DOS boxes, then it will have caught up to
> Windows....

I wish people would get their facts straigt before posting.  Your facts
are 100% backwards and incorrect.

OS/2 is always going.  In OS/2 as it currently runs, the DOS BOX stops
when you switch to  AN OS/2 SESSION, however, OS/2 does NOT stop when
you start a DOS session.  From the DOS point of view, this is basically
like interrupting your program with a TSR program (except that DOS
interrupts are not processed when you are in OS/2, so comm programs
will die.

Even this limitation has been overcome on 80386 machines in
OS/2 2.0 (beta out now) which DOES multitask OS/2 AND DOS programs together,
with the cut and paste options, multiple DOS boxes, and all the other
things you say that OS/2 doesn't have.

There are also rumours that it will run Windows 3.0 programs directly in
the Presentation Manager (similar to how Family Applications run under both
MS-DOS and OS/2 full screen).

I run OS/2 1.2 on an IBM PS/2 model 60 (286 system) and the multitasking is
quite robust.  Just as an example, I had 5 ray-tracing sessions going on at
the same time once.  The CPU was so busy, that the lower priority "bouncing
Lines" style screen blanker didn't even move for about 10 hours.  However,
I could still start up Kermit and do file transfers with no degradation,
etc.

On the other hand, I used Windows 3.0 on a 386sx based computer.  It had
fairly good response when running WINDOWS applications, but when I put Turbo
Pascal in a text window, it took at least a good two minutes to swap the
applications out onto disk when I switched into Turbo Pascal.  This was with
two megabytes of memory.

My suggestions: Use MS-DOS to run MS-DOS applications, use Windows to run
multiple windows applications (and in a pinch MS-DOS applications), and use
OS/2 to run OS/2 applications (and when OS/2 2.0 hits the stands DOS and
Windows applications as well)  All these should have as a minimum a 386sx.
Windows and OS/2 both require about the same system resources (memory,
disk space, etc.) to run correctly.

I was talking to Microsoft's Canadian educational representative a few
days ago.  She says that Microsoft has NOT dropped OS/2.  In fact, they have
Word for OS/2 PM, Excel for PM, etc. all waiting in the wings.  They just
don't want to kill the Windows market for those products by releasing the
OS/2 versions at the same time.  I don't really like the idea of holding us
OS/2 users back simply for marketing strategy, but the point is all the
applications are there.

- Kevin Lowey

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) (10/01/90)

Another great 'nifty' that I found is that some tasks do not use CPU,
and they run at full speed - even if you are ray tracing (very CPU
intensive) in the background. For example, I was formatting a bunch
of diskettes in a window the other day, and it was running as fast
as if I was running it without the ray tracer!  lovely!   -turgut

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/04/90)

In article <71@cscdec.cs.com> jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) writes:
>Personally, I have no need for the DOS box in OS/2 and don't even have
>in enabled. I do all of my development,editing, and network administration
>from and only OS/2.

>DOS is dead.
I wish that this would become reality real SOON!

>--
>Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
>Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

Kai Uwe Rommel
--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel