[comp.windows.ms] Running 123R3 under WIN 3.0

frankhua@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Frank X.J. HUANG) (10/04/90)

I have a 386 which has 4M memory(640 + 3456 extended) and runs Window 3.0.
I have a problem when trying to run the 123(R3) as a non-window
application, either full-screen or within a window.

If I run it in Enhanced mode, It would give me the message as follows:

	Error: You have attempted to run a protected-mode application in
	386 enhaced mode. To run the application, exit and run Windows
	using either the WIN/s or the WIN/r command.

I definitely need to run it in Enhanced-mode, but even when I tried the
Real and Standard-mode, it still gave an error of "insufficient memory"
and require me to edit the PIF file. I tried many times but still couldn't
find a way out.

Is there anyone who can give a solution?

Thanks in advance!

| E-mail:	     		    ||    Frank X.J. Huang		|
|   frankhua@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca    ||    School of Computer Science    |
| Tel#:		            	    ||	  McGill University		|
|   Office:(514)398-7086            ||	  Montreal, Canada		|
|   Home  :(514)284-5479	    ||	  H3A 2A7			|
| Fax:     (514)398-3883	    ||					|

rcook@ircsun1.ccmblab.nd.edu (10/04/90)

The answer to your problem is to plunk down $35 (or possibly nothing)
for Lotus 123 release 3.1.

Release 3.0 used VCPI (Virtual Control Program Interface) to access to
protected mode memory (above 640K) which is incompatible with other
protected mode operating systems, such as Windows 3.0 running in
enhanced mode is.  Release 3.1 conforms to the 0.9 release of DPMI (Dos
Protected Mode Interface) to control the protected memory it uses.  DPMI
was cowritten by Microsoft and allows multiple programs to use protected
mode memory and instructions.

In addition to being able to run in Windows 3.0, 1-2-3 3.1 (a whole slew
of numbers, eh?) comes with mouse support and a graphical interface a la
Always, but it is Lotus's own program.  By the way, if you bought
release 3.0 since May 7, 1990, the upgrade is free.  Upgrade charges
from releases 2.2 is $75, all other releases $150.

Have Fun

Robert Kelley Cook
University of Notre Dame
(rcook@darwin.cc.nd.edu)

rcook@ircsun1.ccmblab.nd.edu (10/04/90)

In article <5146@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca>, frankhua@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
(Frank X.J. HUANG) writes:

|>I have a 386 which has 4M memory(640 + 3456 extended) and runs Window 3.0.
|>I have a problem when trying to run the 123(R3) as a non-window
|>application, either full-screen or within a window.
|>
|>If I run it in Enhanced mode, It would give me the message as follows:
|>
|>	Error: You have attempted to run a protected-mode application in
|>	386 enhaced mode. To run the application, exit and run Windows
|>	using either the WIN/s or the WIN/r command.
|>
|>I definitely need to run it in Enhanced-mode, but even when I tried the
|>Real and Standard-mode, it still gave an error of "insufficient memory"
|>and require me to edit the PIF file. I tried many times but still couldn't
|>find a way out.

Although I sent something to the original author already, and it got
lost.  The basic answer was that you have to get Lotus 1-2-3 Release
3.1.  It uses DPMI for its protected mode interface as opposed to
release 3.0 which used VCPI which cannot handle more than one protected
mode operating system which WIN 3.0 enhanced is.

It is a free upgrade if you purchased 123 r3.0 after May 7,1990.
Otherwise it cost $35. For 2.2 users it cost $75 and for others $150.

Release 3.1 also comes with mouse support and a graphical interface
kinda like Always.

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (10/04/90)

Upgrade to Release 3.1.

dana@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dan Aksel) (10/04/90)

In article <463@news.nd.edu> rcook@ircsun1.ccmblab.nd.edu () writes:
>Although I sent something to the original author already, and it got
>lost.  The basic answer was that you have to get Lotus 1-2-3 Release
>3.1.  It uses DPMI for its protected mode interface as opposed to
>release 3.0 which used VCPI which cannot handle more than one protected
>mode operating system which WIN 3.0 enhanced is.
>
>It is a free upgrade if you purchased 123 r3.0 after May 7,1990.
>Otherwise it cost $35. For 2.2 users it cost $75 and for others $150.
>
>Release 3.1 also comes with mouse support and a graphical interface
>kinda like Always.

A little more information: Lotus 1-2-3 3.0 offers an ad-in called IMPRESS
(offerred by PC Publishing) which allows you to "pretty up the picture."  Lotus
was so impressed by the ad-in that they either acquired the company or purchased
the technology (can't remember) and incorporated it into 1-2-3 3.1.  When you
look at all the upgrade/enhancement options, the only one that makes sense is to
go directly to 1-2-3 3.1.  Another product which is available for 1-2-3 3.0  is
called 3-for-3 offerred by Iris Associates.  The September issue of PC World had
an interesting review/comparision of 3-for-3 and 3.1.  The article makes you
want to combine the two products for a truly successful add in.

3-for-3 gives "full" windows capability but no WYSIWYG environment.  3.1
provides the WYSIWYG but must run full screen...  Life's full of choices.

To answer the orginal question about memory: two solutions 3.1 or 3-for-3.  The
first is $0, $35, or $75 while the latter is $99.
-------
Dan Aksel dana@hdw.csd.harris.com