[comp.windows.ms] Color cycling

whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) (09/30/90)

	There are a number of programs for the X window system that
will perform some action in the background (or root) window such as
bounce a ball around or 3d wire-traced polyhedron (ico I believe does this).
Anyways such programs eat cpu cycles, however a similar program for MS Windows
might be interesting.
	A lot of simple computer animation seqences are actually color
cycling (anyone remember the waterfall on the Atari ST?) with no
redrawing involved.  It seems to me that given a BMP file designed
for a color cycling system, one could have a simulated animated root
window without placing a particularly large load on the cpu.
	Has anyone taken a look at this possibility already?  What
sort of performance delays does cycling a color pallete under MS Windows
invoke?  Anyone with an SDK wanna try?  Anyone have a nice 1024x768x256
picture that color cycling will animate?  I figure one would
need a 256 color system, otherwise you'd be pretty limited in what
you could do.  Those of you who have played with fractint have probably
seen some really nice color-cycling animation, but I'd hate to have
one of those in the background, too hypnotic...
whelan@  (uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu || uhccux.BITNET || nextsrv.wslab.hawaii.edu)

LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) (10/01/90)

Part of the commercial package FirstApps by hDC is a function to use animated
wallpaper.  Is this what you want?

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (10/02/90)

hDc First Apps does allow for a small desktop animator that
runs in the background.  However, it is so small it is
really a waste.  It would be nice if their screen savers
could run as the desktop pattern, and then move to the
foreground after a specified period of time.

 - Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (10/03/90)

> There are a number of programs for the X window system that
>will perform some action in the background (or root) window such as
>bounce a ball around or 3d wire-traced polyhedron (ico I believe does this).
>Anyways such programs eat cpu cycles, however a similar program for MS
>Windows
>might be interesting.

I have such a program (no, I didn't write it).  It's called FUSE.EXE, and it
runs a QIX-like thing around on the WIN30 wallpaper.  It's interesting, and
although it does eat a few cycles, it's not too terrible.  I don't think
this program uses color-cycling, though.  The only drawback seems to be that
there is no 'OFF' switch; you can't open a dialog box to it, and it doesn't
leave an icon anywhere.

I got it from the SLO-Bytes BBS at (805) 528-3753.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

CHarding@massey.ac.nz (C.R. Harding) (10/05/90)

>>  There are a number of programs for the X window system that
>> will perform some action in the background (or root) window such as
>> bounce a ball around or 3d wire-traced polyhedron (ico I believe
>> does this). Anyways such programs eat cpu cycles, however a similar
>> program for MS Windows might be interesting.

> I have such a program (no, I didn't write it).  It's called FUSE.EXE, and it
> runs a QIX-like thing around on the WIN30 wallpaper.  It's interesting, and
> although it does eat a few cycles, it's not too terrible.  I don't think
> this program uses color-cycling, though.  The only drawback seems to be that
> there is no 'OFF' switch; you can't open a dialog box to it, and it doesn't
> leave an icon anywhere.

Recently posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc was a program called
STARS.EXE which provides a background of stars slowly radiating
outwards from the centre of the screen (ie forward view of spacecraft
in flight). If you click the mouse anywhere on the background (ie
anywhere that isn't a window of some sort) it pops up a control menu
that lets you set the speed of the stars' movement (Stop, Warp, or
Impulse Drive) and also provides options that will run COMMAND.COM or
Notepad etc.

Unfortunately it appears to have been written for
Windows 2.xx as it also provides a menu option that runs the MSDOS
Executive (rather than file manager or prog manager). However, a
groovy little program!

--
Craig Harding			C.R.Harding@massey.ac.nz
Massey University		BBS: +64 63 551342 3/12/24

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (10/05/90)

In article <1050@massey.ac.nz> CHarding@massey.ac.nz (C.R. Harding) writes:
>Recently posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc was a program called
>STARS.EXE which provides a background of stars slowly radiating
>
>Unfortunately it appears to have been written for
>Windows 2.xx as it also provides a menu option that runs the MSDOS
>Executive (rather than file manager or prog manager). However, a
>groovy little program!

You can change the programs that STARS.EXE runs if you have an editor such
as the Norton Utilities; the names in the menu and the associated commands
are ASCII text in the program.  However, the replacement commands must be
the same length...

And STARS is NOT a Wi2 program; if you try to load it in Real mode it pops
up a dialog box saying "Requires Standard or Enhanced mode to run".

--
Jason Merill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu