[comp.windows.ms] Copy protection for MS Windows applications

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) (09/21/90)

I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
markets.  The vendor that supplies our MS DOS copy protection
and LAN user count control does not (yet?) do Windows.  Are
the any vendors addressing copy/LAN protection for MS Windows?
"Yes"s (if any) will be summarized.

Thanks ... Chris
---
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764
--

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (09/27/90)

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) writes:

>I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
>markets.  The vendor that supplies our MS DOS copy protection
>and LAN user count control does not (yet?) do Windows.  Are
>the any vendors addressing copy/LAN protection for MS Windows?
>"Yes"s (if any) will be summarized.

What markets would they be?  Except for games, I can't understand why
any one market would be more succesptible to pirating than others.  If
your products offer a good value, are well supported, and backed by an
update policy that rewards registered users (instead of alienating
them), pirating should be no greater an issue for you than anyone
else.

Excluding games (which have, unfortunately, always been the most
pirated software around), most mature users will eventually purchase
legal copies of all the software they use, as long as the cost of the
software represents a fair value.  If one product is being pirated
more than another, perhaps its value has been overestimated.  The
market ultimately decides the value of software, artifically high
prices notwithstanding.

The microlabs I run at Rutgers have a policy that excludes software
that uses copy protection of any form, or LAN metering that
complicates server installation for its own sake.  We, and I believe
most network administrators, implement our own anti-pirating policies
and mechanisms.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

gsm@sequoia.execu.com (Scott Mather) (09/27/90)

In article <Sep.26.13.34.20.1990.23472@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) writes:
>
>>I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
>>markets.  The vendor that supplies our MS DOS copy protection
>>and LAN user count control does not (yet?) do Windows.  Are
>>the any vendors addressing copy/LAN protection for MS Windows?
>>"Yes"s (if any) will be summarized.
>
>What markets would they be?  Except for games, I can't understand why
                              ^^^^^^     ^^^^^  ^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
>any one market would be more succesptible to pirating than others.  If
>your products offer a good value, are well supported, and backed by an

[list of reasons supporting apparent belief that copy protection should
 never be tolerated, deleted]

I acknowledge that you have covered perhaps 1% of the BIG list of reasons for
why copy protection is bad.

Nevertheless, in your opening statement you acknowledge that at least one market
may have a valid reason for CP.  Has it occurred to you that black/white
absolute statements rarely have much merit?   It should come as no surprise that
you do not have knowledge about ALL of the software market niches that there are
in the world.  You also shouldn't be surprised to find out that there are
undoubtedly many niche markets where CP is a necessary evil.  This may explain
the fact that companies selling CP technology STILL EXIST!  The intricacies of
the markets which we serve that REQUIRE CP (notice that the MARKET requires the
CP, not that WE require the CP) are too complex to detail.  However, please
consider the effects that differing interpretations of the rights to
intellectual property exist around the world has on your absolute approach to
CP.  Not all legal systems, nor cultures, nor business environments, nor
governments in the world mimic our own.  I would love to just trust everyone in
the entire world, but business realities just don't jibe with my desire.  The
market which we serve, in this instance, is highly specialized and is non-US.

Please, if anyone has any info on CP, let me know.

Thank You
Scott Mather
512-327-7070

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (09/29/90)

>>I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
>>markets.  The vendor that supplies our MS DOS copy protection

>What markets would they be?  Except for games, I can't understand why

Foriegn markets. Especially
Taiwan and Hong Kong. Boot-
leg copies abound and are
beyond US copyright law.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (09/29/90)

In an article ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) wrote:
>>>I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
>>>markets.  The vendor that supplies our MS DOS copy protection
>
>>What markets would they be?  Except for games, I can't understand why
>
>Foriegn markets. Especially
>Taiwan and Hong Kong. Boot-
>leg copies abound and are
>beyond US copyright law.

In Europe most of the popular software comes out in language-specific
or national versions.  This software costs about 4 times the US list
price of the same package, since they are paying royalties, plus trying
to recoup thier development and marketing costs.  That makes MS Word
cost something like $2000 in France.  No wonder hacked and pirated
versions abound.

US vendors are tempted by the bloated prices in Europe, and since copy
protection is tolerated by the users there, they figure that copy
protection must be used.  I suppose in some cases a US developer is
creating a European version "to specs" for a European vendor, who is
insisting on copy protection in the product.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."

edt@microsoft.UUCP (Edward Tharp) (10/02/90)

In article <Sep.26.13.34.20.1990.23472@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
|cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) writes:
|
|>I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
|>markets.  The vendor that supplies our MS DOS copy protection
|>and LAN user count control does not (yet?) do Windows.  Are
|>the any vendors addressing copy/LAN protection for MS Windows?
|>"Yes"s (if any) will be summarized.
|
|What markets would they be?  Except for games, I can't understand why
|any one market would be more succesptible to pirating than others.  If
|your products offer a good value, are well supported, and backed by an
|update policy that rewards registered users (instead of alienating
|them), pirating should be no greater an issue for you than anyone
|else.

    In some countries, pirating is as accepted there as copying audio
cassettes is here, not only on the individual level, but also the coporate
one.  Copy protection is a necessary evil in some cases, until copyright laws
abroad protects people's investments.

Ed Tharp
| Edward Tharp          Microsoft Corporation        #include <std/disclaim.h> |
| ..!{uunet,uw-beaver}!microsoft!edt  or microsof!edt@beaver.cs.washington.edu |

pete@indep1.UUCP (Peter Franks) (10/05/90)

In article <24981@sequoia.execu.com> gsm@sequoia.execu.com (Scott Mather) writes:
>In article <Sep.26.13.34.20.1990.23472@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>>cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) writes:
>>
>>>I hate copy protection but we must still use it in select
>>>markets. . .
>>
>>What markets would they be?  Except for games, I can't understand why
>>any one market would be more succesptible to pirating than others. . .

I can think of at least one reason for copy protection other than piracy
prevention - data security.  If an application saves sensitive data, maybe
to a floppy, maybe not, it might be a good idea to copy-protect the floppy
to protect the user's data from being stolen (copied).

Just a thought.

|  Peter Franks  |          pete@indep1.mcs.com  OR  pete@indep1.uucp          |
|      NI9D      |                   Use whichever one works                   |