[comp.windows.ms] Leaky Windows ???

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/02/90)

Am I the only one seeing this ? I seems to be seeing Windows leaking
system resource. The system resource that you get from the Help menu in PM.
According to the SDK, this is calculated from the global or GDI free
heap space. And it is limited to 64 K by virture of Intel's 80x86
architecture.

When I fire up Windows on my machine. There's about 70 % free system
resource. Then, I start DOS session, run paint, notepad, word, etc. etc.
Then I close them and get back to my start up configuration. Lo and behold,
there's less free system resource ! Sometime, it get as low as 35 % !!!

Does this means that Windows programs somehow laid claim to system
resource and fail to return them when they are done ? How can I claim
that space back ? Does this mean that after runnig Windows for some while,
I'll have to exit and restart again because system resource is getting
smaller ?

.... or is the system resource taken by Windows which manages the
swapfile. I noticed that as I played around Windows for a while, the
swapfile gets bigger and bigger. Usually starts with about 3 MB and
I've seen it grown to > 6 MB. By the way, I don't use permanent swapfile.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (10/06/90)

In article <18950040@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>Am I the only one seeing this ? I seems to be seeing Windows leaking
>system resource. The system resource that you get from the Help menu in PM.
[stuff deleted about free resources going from 70% to 35% after running for
awhile]

What you are describing sounds possible.  When you have some time, try
running one of the apps at a time and see which one causes resources to
go down.  This will identify the "bad" app.  If you do this post your
findings so that it can be checked into.  Also, in regards to your question
about reclaiming memory, there is no way to get memory back from GDI and
USER once the app "loses" the handle to it.  You will have to reboot to get
the memory back (by reboot I mean exit windows, not reboot the machine.)

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.