[comp.windows.ms] Another RC warning question

twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) (10/02/90)

In article <57851@microsoft.UUCP>, davidds@microsoft.UUCP (David D'SOUZA) writes:
> All this means is that in your def file, you have a segment marked
> MOVEABLE or FIXED but it isn't marked PRELOAD.  The segment isn't
> DISCARDABLE so Windows needs to make sure it is loaded when the app
> starts so RC tells you it is doing the sensible thing and forcing it to
> PRELOAD even though you didn't explicitly tell it to.  Fix this by
> adding PRELOAD to the segments in question. (or make them discardable)
>
> --Dave

I get the following warning.
What does it mean?
Which segment is 89?
	RC: warning RW4002: Entry point segment 89 set to PRELOAD

.DEF file contains:
	NAME Illus

	EXETYPE WINDOWS

	STUB 'WINSTUB.EXE'

	CODE PRELOAD MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE
	DATA PRELOAD FIXED
	SEGMENTS
	     TWB_TEXT                  MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE LOADONCALL
	[Lots more lines like the above deleted]

Tombo.
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

matts@microsoft.UUCP (Matt SAETTLER) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct2.145528.15463@cbnewsh.att.com> twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) writes:

|I get the following warning.
|What does it mean?
|Which segment is 89?
|	RC: warning RW4002: Entry point segment 89 set to PRELOAD
|
|.DEF file contains:
|	NAME Illus
|
|	EXETYPE WINDOWS
|
|	STUB 'WINSTUB.EXE'
|
|	CODE PRELOAD MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE
|	DATA PRELOAD FIXED
|	SEGMENTS
|	     TWB_TEXT                  MOVEABLE DISCARDABLE LOADONCALL
|	[Lots more lines like the above deleted]

You can determine which segment is 89 by looking at the .MAP file
(when you use the /MAP option on the link line).

Your entry point for your program is not PRELOAD, so the warning
is telling you that it is making the segment containing the entry
point PRELOAD instead of the explicit LOADONCALL that you have
specified.

Why are you trying to make your DATA segment FIXED?

MattS
These thoughts are all my own, or so I'm told to say...