[comp.windows.ms] WinComm look great but...

dlevine@umd5.umd.edu ( First Aider) (10/07/90)

Well, I decided with a review like this got, it had to be awesome.
WinComm really is an incredible advancement over WINQVT.
It's really very complete as far as features.

However, I have found that the zmodem doesn't like talking to my
zmodem program I had been previously using with WNQVT!  I had a
similar problem when trying out much older versions of UNICOM
(but I gave up on that).  However, if I give up zmodem for ymodem-g
I can put 238 cps through my 2400 baud modem (or at least that's what
it reports)-- an this is while I'm using GCP42s to show a GIF!
(of this I was very impressed)

Another problem I have found is that I can't get vi (a unix full screen
editor to work properly).  It would appear that the terminal's vt102
emulation isn't complete and can't respond to the unix resize command.

The only other problem I've had thus far with this great terminal is
with it's keyboard remapping program.  I want to change my backspace
to <<DEL>> and that's ok.  But when I save it, god knows where it
goes because when I want to use it, it doesn't appear where I put it!

Anyone got any ideas????

And by the way, how much is this thing?  It's really great...and where
do you send the moeny while you're it it.   ;)

Thanks for uploading it!

Emc2

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/08/90)

In article <7409@umd5.umd.edu>, dlevine@umd5.umd.edu ( First Aider) writes:
|> Well, I decided with a review like this got, it had to be awesome.
|> WinComm really is an incredible advancement over WINQVT.
|> It's really very complete as far as features.
|>
|> However, I have found that the zmodem doesn't like talking to my
|> zmodem program I had been previously using with WNQVT!  I had a
|> similar problem when trying out much older versions of UNICOM

I don't know what is the problem.  Is it possible that there have been some
changes in the zmodem protocol and Wincomm is using an older version.  I have
in the past had problems using zmodem from one host while the same program
works on another host.  I think zmodem is kinda quirky about that.  If you can
send any more info to me, I'll let Synappsys know and see if they can work it
out.

|> Another problem I have found is that I can't get vi (a unix full screen
|> editor to work properly).  It would appear that the terminal's vt102
|> emulation isn't complete and can't respond to the unix resize command.

If you would, use the capture feature to record the problem and then call
Synappsys.  They will probably want to get a copy of the problem so it can be
investigated and fixed.  I have used vi several times in Wincomm without
difficulty, so they will be interested in seeing that.

|> The only other problem I've had thus far with this great terminal is
|> with it's keyboard remapping program.  I want to change my backspace
|> to <<DEL>> and that's ok.  But when I save it, god knows where it
|> goes because when I want to use it, it doesn't appear where I put it!

The keyboard mapper saves tha mapping to a file which can they be associated
with whatever session files are appropriate.  You need to select the keyboard
remap in the session editor.  I believe it is in the terminal part of the
session editor where you select which keymap to use.  I hope this solves your
problem.

|> And by the way, how much is this thing?  It's really great...and where
|> do you send the moeny while you're it it.   ;)

The price is $149 retail, though they do have a educational discount which is
explained in the wincomm.txt file.  If you want to send money, the address is:

Synappsys
401 West Main
Suite 300
Norman, OK 73069

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) (10/09/90)

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) writes:

>In article <7409@umd5.umd.edu>, dlevine@umd5.umd.edu ( First Aider) writes:
>|> However, I have found that the zmodem doesn't like talking to my
>|> zmodem program I had been previously using with WNQVT!  I had a

>I don't know what is the problem.  Is it possible that there have been some

At first I had no problems at all, but all of a sudden, WinComm complained.
The only differences I saw was that at first I had transfered an ASCII file
using compressed zmodem mode, and later I transfered a packed file with
standard zmodem protocol. When I tried transferring the packed file with
compressed mode, WinComm accepted at once.

>|> Another problem I have found is that I can't get vi (a unix full screen
>|> editor to work properly).  It would appear that the terminal's vt102
>|> emulation isn't complete and can't respond to the unix resize command.

I have noticed the same with Emacs. Some characters are repeated SEVERAL
times. Also the scroll down, feature on ANSI and vt102 seems to fail.

Another thing I'd like to see is a translate table, a'la procomm plus.
It's not a necessary thing, but it makes the whole thing look lots better.
I can stand seeing brackets and braces and backslash and so on instead of
our national letters, but I prefer not to.

Hope the problems will be fixed soon. It's shows promising power.
   _
/Bjorn.