[comp.windows.ms] Non-Win Apps Surrendering Time Slices

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (10/09/90)

> In article <546@nih-csl.nih.gov> bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) writes:
> >--------------- Release time slice
> >                 MOV AX,352Fh   ; **** Release time slice
> >                 INT 2Fh        ; Let someone else run
>
> Just to clarify, does this mean to simply terminate *this* particular
> time slice, so that this call has to be made in a loop?  Also, how does
> Windows do its "detect Idle time?"

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified that I was only forwarding a
snippet of information that I had saved from another message.  I am
definitely *not* an expert on this question, and have never actually
run this code.  My Windows SDK doesn't discuss this particular topic,
and my copy of Ralf Brown's MS-DOS interrupt list (dated 4/90) doesn't
list these interrupts.

I would assume that yes, this code would terminate early the time slice
your program was running at the moment, and should be in some sort of
loop, as in:

while (the doomsday-device-IO-port is busy) give up your time slice

I have no idea how Windows detects "Idle Time".

Bert Tyler
bert@helix.nih.gov