[comp.windows.ms] Desktop bitmaps??

tom@ismdqa.intel.com (Tom Soukup ~) (10/03/90)

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Windows to look somewhere other
than in the windows directory to find .bmp files?  I'd like to keep all of
the bitmaps together in a seperate (networked) directory, but it looks like
the user will have to remember the full pathnames when selecting one.

Please e-mail and I'll post a summary if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tom Soukup
DISCLAMER:  Intel doesn't agree with much of anything that I say.
UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!ismdqa!tom
ARPA:	tom%ismdqa.intel.com@relay.cs.net       CSNET:	tom@ismdqa.intel.com

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (10/03/90)

> Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Windows to look somewhere other
> than in the windows directory to find .bmp files?  I'd like to keep all of
> the bitmaps together in a seperate (networked) directory, but it looks like
> the user will have to remember the full pathnames when selecting one.

Along this same vein, I noticed the other day that when I told windows to use
a bitmap file from a different path - IT COPIED THE FILE INTO THE WINDOWS DIR!
So, you end up with two copies of the same bitmap.

Brian
town@hpspkla.HP.COM

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (10/05/90)

In article <10730003@hpspkla.spk.hp.com> town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) writes:
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Windows to look somewhere other
>> than in the windows directory to find .bmp files?  I'd like to keep all of
>> the bitmaps together in a seperate (networked) directory, but it looks like
>> the user will have to remember the full pathnames when selecting one.
>
>Along this same vein, I noticed the other day that when I told windows to use
>a bitmap file from a different path - IT COPIED THE FILE INTO THE WINDOWS DIR!
>So, you end up with two copies of the same bitmap.

also, when you install fonts in copies them to the windows system directory.
( so that's where 3 MB of disk went! )  another peeve i have is re software
that just Has To put something in your windows directory. along that line
don't you just have software that can't come up with a naming convention...
i mean sure we all like to have 15 different readme.txt files in one directory
but dos doesn't :-(  so why can't people ( usually shareware ) call there files
by hte same names: saver.exe saved.dll saver.ini saver.txt... one last thing
(apologigies to the screen peace folk, btw) it'd also be nice for there to
be a convention on doc files as well. ie windows comes with 2: .txt and .wri,
if you're really into it you can use a .hlp but please! enough with the
 .me's, .doc's .man's .1st's .etc's

whew!, that's been accumulating for a while...
o well, now back to your regularly scheduled " 'os/2 is better' 'is not!' program

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (10/05/90)

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) writes:

>> Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Windows to look somewhere other
>> than in the windows directory to find .bmp files?  I'd like to keep all of
>> the bitmaps together in a seperate (networked) directory, but it looks like
>> the user will have to remember the full pathnames when selecting one.

>Along this same vein, I noticed the other day that when I told windows to use
>a bitmap file from a different path - IT COPIED THE FILE INTO THE WINDOWS DIR!
>So, you end up with two copies of the same bitmap.

And the greatest pity ist, that it does not ask for permission to replace a
file with the same name. So data may be lost!

The HELP-function tells only that the bitmaps have to be in the windows
directory - and nothing about copying or replacing.
--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/06/90)

In article <3440@gmdzi.gmd.de> icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) writes:
>town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) writes:
>>> Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Windows to look somewhere other
>>> than in the windows directory to find .bmp files?  I'd like to keep all of
>>> the bitmaps together in a seperate (networked) directory, but it looks like
>>> the user will have to remember the full pathnames when selecting one.
>>Along this same vein, I noticed the other day that when I told windows to use
>>a bitmap file from a different path - IT COPIED THE FILE INTO THE WINDOWS DIR!

I've noticed that screen peace ver 1.2 has a setup option that allows
you to get screen peace to keep changing the bitmap. You can tell it
where the bitmaps are stored, so I *presume* that they can be stored
someplace else.

The entry in win.ini for the bitmap uses a comlete path+filename, so
maybe that will work. I guess that if you had edit win.ini, you
might be able to specify another location for the bitmap.

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (10/09/90)

In a recent article dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:

>also, when you install fonts in copies them to the windows system directory.
>( so that's where 3 MB of disk went! )

Far too many programs do this, but at least in the case of font files (by
which I include screen fonts (.FON) as well as printer metrics (.PFM) and
printer soft fonts (.HPF or whatever)) you can immediately move them out
to other directories.  At least in the case of the printer font files the
Soft Font Installer which comes with Windows lets you specify the directory
into which it will copy the font file and the .PFM.

Even if you do wind up with the font files in the Windows directory, just
move them somewhere else and update WIN.INI to reflect the change.  On my
system I detest the idea of having any files from elsewhere mixed in with
the Windows file in the WIN3 dirctory.  Thus, when I installed PowerPoint,
the screen font entries which it placed in WIN.INI were changed to look
like this:

   Helv 36 (EGA res)=d:\fonts\helv36b.fon
                     ^^^^^^^^^
with the marked characters added manually.  Similarly, printer metric and
bitmap fonts can be located anywhere in the system (*including* on removable
disk drives) by specifying:

   SoftFont123=h:\hpfont\pfm\hv360rpn.pfm,h:\hpfont\download\hv360rpn.usp

In my case I do this because the printer bitmap *subset* for PowerPoint
runs to 15 MB or so, forcing me to put it on a Bernoulli.  This works fine
as long as I remember to avoid using the fonts there when the Bernoulli
disk with those fonts isn't mounted.  (The LaserJet II driver for Windows 3
is far dumber than the interface in Word 5 or below: if the font isn't
available (e.g., the disk isn't there) then Windows just ignores the need
for the font and goes its merry way without even an error message.)  Ah...
anyone from Microsoft care to comment?