[comp.windows.ms] Limit on global memory handles

tony@cs.tamu.edu (Tony Encarnacion) (10/04/90)

The SDK manual says "there is a system-wide limit of 8192 global
memory handles, only some of which are available to any given
application."

Does anybody know the actual number of global memory handles that
a single application can allocate?  I'm developing a program that
creates a lot of objects using Microsoft C6.00.  I'm not familiar
with C++, but does this limitation affect the number of objects
that can be created in Zortech C++ too?

arybicki@dhw68k.cts.com (Adam Rybicki) (10/10/90)

In article <8795@helios.TAMU.EDU> tony@cs.tamu.edu (Tony Encarnacion) writes:

>The SDK manual says "there is a system-wide limit of 8192 global
>memory handles, only some of which are available to any given
>application."
>
>Does anybody know the actual number of global memory handles that
>a single application can allocate?  that

Well, after Windows is done initializing, it normally leaves a little
more than half of those 8192 handles.  You can use all of the remaining handles
but then other applications will not be able to run at all.  Microsoft advises
to use LocalAlloc whenever possible or to implement your own memory management
if LocalAllocs are not good enough.