[comp.windows.ms] Windows and two monitors

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/06/90)

Hi,

I just set up my debugging monitor, which happens to be a Herc. clone.
My main monitor is a Paradise, running in 800x600. I have good and bad
news. The good news is that the Herc/VGA combination works. The
*great* news is that if you pop up a dos window, and do a

mode mono

The display switches to the monochrome monitor. The VGA still has a
small window representing the dos window, but you can size it and make
it small.

This is a boon to me because I use the SDK, and, of course
compilaation etc are dos tasks, so they can be switched to the dos
screen. I've run a whole bunch of dos tasks on the mono screen, and
they all work just fine.

My problem and the bad news is that I loose the cursor on the mono
screen. It sits resolutely in the little window on the VGA screen.
I've played around with lots of settings in the 386 enhanced options,
but I can't get the cursor to display properly on the Mono monitor
except when the dos application is in full screen mode, which makes it
eat up the whole vga screen also.

It is a *little* hard to edit without a cursor... If there is anyone
who knows how to get the cursor back, I'd be really grateful.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)
Department of Computer Science,                         (503)346-4156 (direct)
University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1202
--

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/09/90)

> My problem and the bad news is that I loose the cursor on the mono
> screen. It sits resolutely in the little window on the VGA screen.
> I've played around with lots of settings in the 386 enhanced options,
> but I can't get the cursor to display properly on the Mono monitor
> except when the dos application is in full screen mode, which makes it
> eat up the whole vga screen also.

Roughly the same problem here. I have ATI VGA Wonder and a Hercules
compatible card. Haven't tried editing in the mono monitor environment.
But under 4DOS, the cursor is always on the top left corner of the
mono screen. When running Xtree, the high-light cursor is displayed
in the right place. ... will try editing soon.

I do have another problem while playing with EXCEL 2.1d. After running
CVW, EXCEL behaves funny. When I run EXCEL via a .XLW workspace file,
the worksheets came up empty ! But all the data is still there. Just
can't see it that's all. No problem if I run EXCEL by clicking the
EXCEL application icon. Anyone has similar experience ? Other program
works fine !

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/10/90)

Just tried mode mono and did some editing. Yeap ! I can't see the
cursor so it is damn hard to do any editing at all. May be I should
get a pure MDA card instead of a hercules card ???

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/10/90)

In article <18950041@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>> My problem and the bad news is that I loose the cursor on the mono
>> screen. It sits resolutely in the little window on the VGA screen.
>Roughly the same problem here. I have ATI VGA Wonder and a Hercules
>compatible card. Haven't tried editing in the mono monitor environment.
>But under 4DOS, the cursor is always on the top left corner of the
>mono screen. When running Xtree, the high-light cursor is displayed
>in the right place. ... will try editing soon.

(I run 4dos too). Seems to me that the cursor gets initialized to the
top left hand corner of the monochrome card at boot time, and never
gets moved from there. (Assuming that you go to windows straight after
booting). Essentially, I find that any application that wants to move
the cursor ends up moving it on the VGA screen, under the virual
display that windows sets up for the dos session.

However, applications like XTREE that *don't* use a cursor (as defined
by the hardware(?)) can be used effectively. One such application is
quick help. So I now use qh in the second monitor. Works like a
charm!!

kartik