[comp.windows.ms] Zortech

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (09/16/90)

I recently purchased the zortech c++ compiler version 2.1.
I did so due to previous posts that it could generate windows apps.
I tried compiling the sample application that comes with ztc, with no luck.
The app does not even create a main window when it launches...

Does anyone have any sample source code that I might peruse that works with ztc
and windows 3.0?  I am very interrested in putting together a c++ application
and obviously need ztc for this.  Any help would be appreciated...

thanks
jeff

--
Jeff Watkins                       gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

karel@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Karel Zuiderveld) (09/16/90)

In <13703@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) writes:

>I recently purchased the zortech c++ compiler version 2.1.
>I did so due to previous posts that it could generate windows apps.
>I tried compiling the sample application that comes with ztc, with no luck.
>The app does not even create a main window when it launches...

I had the same problem; after some digging in their source code I found a
small, but crucial error.

At a certain point a menu is loaded with the statement
 Wm1 = new WMenu(TopWin,"menudef");     // (or something)

Looking at the .RC file, only a MenuDef is defined. Since loading the menu
turns out to be case sensitive, the menu is not found.
The error handling Zortech implemented was not very elegant: it gives a
fatal error and the screen may freeze.

Edit your .rc file and you'll be doing OK.

I reported this bug to Zortech.

Karel
--
Karel Zuiderveld                            E-mail: karel@cv.ruu.nl
3D Computer Vision - Room E.02.222          Tel:    (31-30) 506682/507772

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (10/01/90)

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) writes:

>I recently purchased the zortech c++ compiler version 2.1.
>I did so due to previous posts that it could generate windows apps.
>I tried compiling the sample application that comes with ztc, with no luck.
>The app does not even create a main window when it launches...

>Does anyone have any sample source code that I might peruse that works with ztc
>and windows 3.0?  I am very interrested in putting together a c++ application
>and obviously need ztc for this.  Any help would be appreciated...

I use Zortech C++, but hadn't compiled the windows c++ sample which comes
with ztc v2.1, because I was mainly interested in getting my own code to
work with Zortech C++, and the switch from 2.06 to 2.1 solved my problems.

I just cd'd into the \zortech\sample\winexam directory and typed 'make',
after changing the memory model from 'medium' to 'small' in the makefile
(I have the small memory model libraries installed, only).
The makefile created one program, test.exe. It works. It displays one
push button and three different moveable child windows. The behaviour of the
program is a bit unintelligible to me, I will have to read the code
in order to see whether it does what it should.

Which SDK do you use? I use the 2.1 SDK, because I don't have the
SDK 3, yet. I tried the sample program with both Windows 2.11 and Windows 3,
it runs under both versions.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) (10/10/90)

In article <gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU> (Jeff Watkins) writes:

>I recently purchased the zortech c++ compiler version 2.1.
>I tried compiling the sample application that comes with ztc, with no luck.
>The app does not even create a main window when it launches...
...delete...

I had no trouble compiling the sample for Win3.0. While there is
not much to it, it ran fine. Are you sure that the compile and LINK
were clean?

Paul

--
Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
Computer Sciences Corporation

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.143837.2295@cscnj> paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) writes:

>I had no trouble compiling the sample for Win3.0. While there is
>not much to it, it ran fine. Are you sure that the compile and LINK
>were clean?
>
>Paul
>
>--
>Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
>Computer Sciences Corporation
># the opinions expressed are entirely imaginary			#

Yeah, it was clean.  But it isn't important.  I've got my own classes defined
now.  They are pretty cool.  Very 3D looking.  I've subclassed edit controls,
buttons and lists and such... very modular.  Sure makes putting apps together
easier.  I'm preparing my cli with it.
(Should have a beta of that soon.  Summer employment kept my mind on other
things.)

jeff

--
Jeff Watkins                       jwatkins@cadsun7.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

maxsmith@athena.mit.edu (Samuel Druker) (10/11/90)

The winexam sample program in Zortech 2.1 needs to have the .res file
deleted and re-rc'd. V2.1 was released pre-win3 SDK and the .res files
are not compatible.

Samuel Druker

--
Samuel

"'Never again' is what you swore, the time before."  --DM