[comp.windows.ms] Paintbrush

rs@tnoibbc.UUCP (Rob Schoenmaker) (10/08/90)

I want to paste the Clipboard contents (which is a capture of a full screen
graphics DOS application) into Paintbrush, but I can't seem to get more of
the picture than the window size of Paintbrush, which is not enough even when
maximized.

Any solutions anyone ?

What I really want is to capture a graphics screen (EGA/VGA) in a GIF file.
Please let me know if there are other ways to do this apart from saving a
Paintbrush picture in PCX format and converting this to GIF.
--
Rob Schoenmaker: TNO - IBBC                   INTERNET : rs@tnoibbc
               : lange kleiweg 5              DOMAIN   : rs@ibbc.tno.nl

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (10/09/90)

rs@tnoibbc.UUCP (Rob Schoenmaker) writes:

>I want to paste the Clipboard contents (which is a capture of a full screen
>graphics DOS application) into Paintbrush, but I can't seem to get more of
>the picture than the window size of Paintbrush, which is not enough even when
>maximized.

This really should make it into the Frequently Asked Questions file.

You can paste clipboard contents larger than the screen by first
zooming out in Paintbrush (so you see you full page), then pasting
(you will see a hatched rectangle only, which you can move until
it fits), then clicking outside the rectangle (now you see the
real picture) and then zoomin back in.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (10/10/90)

In article <3450@gmdzi.gmd.de> strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>You can paste clipboard contents larger than the screen by first
>zooming out in Paintbrush (so you see you full page), then pasting
>(you will see a hatched rectangle only, which you can move until
>it fits), then clicking outside the rectangle (now you see the
>real picture) and then zoomin back in.

However, you STILL can't get full-screen pics this way.  Try pressing PrtSc
sometime, then going into Paintbrush, zooming out, selecting Paste, looking
at the hashed picture, clicking outside the rectangle, looking at the
picture, then pressing ^C to see the whole picture; it's not all there.  I'm
missing a centimeter or two on top and bottom.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (10/11/90)

In article <8980@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) writes:
>In article <3450@gmdzi.gmd.de> strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>>You can paste clipboard contents larger than the screen by first
>>zooming out in Paintbrush (so you see you full page), then pasting
>>(you will see a hatched rectangle only, which you can move until
>>it fits), then clicking outside the rectangle (now you see the
>>real picture) and then zoomin back in.
>
>However, you STILL can't get full-screen pics this way.  Try pressing PrtSc
>sometime, then going into Paintbrush, zooming out, selecting Paste, looking
>at the hashed picture, clicking outside the rectangle, looking at the
>picture, then pressing ^C to see the whole picture; it's not all there.  I'm
>missing a centimeter or two on top and bottom.

You can paste full-screen (and larger) pictures into Paintbrush.

If you go to the Image Attributes selection in the Options menu, the dialog
box lets you resize the image in either centimeters, inches, or pels (pixels)
After you change the image size, though, you must open a new file for the
changes to take effect (rather annoying).

So, to paste an 800x600x256 bitmap (contents of the screen, for example):
	Get the bitmap into the Clipboard (PrtSc for the screen contents)
	Open up Paintbrush
	Change the Image Attributes size to 800 pels by 600 pels and make
		sure the colors radio button is selected
	Open a new file
	Select zoom out from the View menu (Ctrl-O)
	Select paste from the Edit menu (Shift-Ins)
	(A cross-hatched box should appear and fill the entire viewing area)
	Click anywhere outside the cross-hatched box (inside the canvas box)
	Voila!  You can check the image by selecting view picture from
		the View menu
	Make sure to specify the right image type when you save it.  Don't
		want our 256 color images coming out in 16 colors.

If you're reading in an image from somewhere else (GIF file, a PCX file, etc)
you may have to diddle with the palette to get the colors right.

Hope you enjoyed my babbling.

Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
"If Linus looked like Worf, would you	Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu
 try to take his blanket away?"		Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
	- dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu		Disclaimer: Who said what?

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (10/11/90)

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) writes:

>In article <3450@gmdzi.gmd.de> strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>>You can paste clipboard contents larger than the screen by first
>>zooming out in Paintbrush (so you see you full page), then pasting
>>(you will see a hatched rectangle only, which you can move until
>>it fits), then clicking outside the rectangle (now you see the
>>real picture) and then zoomin back in.

>However, you STILL can't get full-screen pics this way.  Try pressing PrtSc
>sometime, then going into Paintbrush, zooming out, selecting Paste, looking
>at the hashed picture, clicking outside the rectangle, looking at the
>picture, then pressing ^C to see the whole picture; it's not all there.  I'm
>missing a centimeter or two on top and bottom.

Sure I can. I just tried it. I.e. I pressed PrtScr, launched a Paintbrush,
set the picture attributes to colored & default size (perhaps you forgot that?),
zoomed out, pasted (whole picture area filled with hatching), clicke outside,
and switched to full scree view. Result: all the 800x600 pixels (I'm using
the generic SVGA driver) where there.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>