[comp.windows.ms] Wanted: Hercules mono card and monitor

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (10/10/90)

I want to put a hercules mono card and monitor in my compaq 386/25e vga
system as a secondary monitor to perform win3 debugging.

Does anybody want to pull one out of the closet and wipe the dust
off and sell it to me?

318-261-1233

brent@well.sf.ca.us (Brent Southard) (10/11/90)

In article <16187@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>I want to put a hercules mono card and monitor in my compaq 386/25e vga
>system as a secondary monitor to perform win3 debugging.

We've never gotten that combination of video adapters to work.  You want a
genuine Monochrome Data Adapter, with NO graphics capabilities.  A Hercules
card will not work, unless of course its a Hercules Text Card, which is what
we use here.  You can find MDA cards advertised in Computer Shopper for
about $6.00.  Yep, six dollars.  These babies are getting rare, so buy a
couple for your friends!

brent

--
brent southard  (313) 656-8349   |   usenet:  ...!well!brent
ImageTech Corp  (313) 362-3141   |

"When frog licking is outlawed, only outlaws will lick frogs."

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/11/90)

In article <21129@well.sf.ca.us> brent@well.sf.ca.us (Brent Southard) writes:
>In article <16187@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>I want to put a hercules mono card and monitor in my compaq 386/25e vga
>>system as a secondary monitor to perform win3 debugging.
>
>We've never gotten that combination of video adapters to work.  You want a
>genuine Monochrome Data Adapter, with NO graphics capabilities.  A Hercules
>card will not work, unless of course its a Hercules Text Card, which is what
>we use here.  You can find MDA cards advertised in Computer Shopper for
>about $6.00.  Yep, six dollars.  These babies are getting rare, so buy a
>couple for your friends!

What is the problem you're having here?  Is it specifically with the
Compaq motherboard VGA, or are you seeing it with any VGA.  If it's the
latter, you're doing something wrong.  If it's the former, you should
call Compaq and complain.  The only thing I can imagine is happening is
that the video ROM BIOS is at E000 instead of C000, and that's somehow
screwing things up.  If you got a real plug-in VGA then you wouldn't
have the problem. :)

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman