[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 Terminal app.

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/06/90)

Did anyone already notice than you can't select 8 bits with even/odd
parity in the terminal application? When one tries to set 8 bits and then
even parity, Terminal resets bits to 7 and when you now select 8 bits
again, it resets parity to none. But the PC hardware can do 8 bits with
parity checking.

Could someone at Microsoft please consider to remove that restriction in
the next version?

At the moment, this forces one of our clients to buy extra terminal
emulators for about a dozen or more machines just for some login
procedures or e-mail on a host.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (10/09/90)

In a recent article rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de writes:

>Did anyone already notice than you can't select 8 bits with even/odd
>parity in the terminal application? When one tries to set 8 bits and then
>even parity, Terminal resets bits to 7 and when you now select 8 bits
>again, it resets parity to none. But the PC hardware can do 8 bits with
>parity checking.

Are you sure that this isn't a problem of nomenclature?  A continuing problem
in the comm world is that half the population counts the parity bit in the
bit count and half doesn't: this means that if I say "8 bits even parity"
some people will read this as meaning a total of eight data elements between
the start and stop elements (8 bits *including* parity) while others will
interpret it as meaning a total of nine elements (8 bits *plus* parity).
Also, not all asynchronous interfaces can accommodate the 9-element
configuration.  (PC BIOS doesn't seem to support it, but I've never needed
to actually try it on the hardware.)

TERMINAL seems to be quietly enforcing a limit of 8 elements in the comm
character frame, and is interpreting the parity bit as an addition to the
bit count.  Thus, if you specify 8 bits and even parity Windows is
changing it to 7E in order to not exceed the 8-bit limit.  It's a pure
design blunder that it isn't posting an error message when it does this.

Getting back to your problem: just what character frame configuration are
you really looking for?  8 bits *including* parity, or 8 bits *plus* parity?

Joe Morris

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/11/90)

/ hpfinote:comp.windows.ms / jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) /  8:15 am  Oct  9, 1990 /

----------

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/11/90)

In article <122655@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>Getting back to your problem: just what character frame configuration are
>you really looking for?  8 bits *including* parity, or 8 bits *plus* parity?
>
>Joe Morris

I need 8 bits *plus* parity. The hardware can do it. I already use it.
And because Windows (i.e. comm.drv) works on hardware level and does not
rely on the PC BIOS, it could do this too.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich