[comp.windows.ms] Wallpaper Question -- more info and a new problem!

daly@ecs.umass.edu (10/08/90)

Hi!

I have some more data for the "can't use xxxxx.bmp as wallpaper" problem:

A few weeks ago I downloaded jupiter.bmp, a 16 color 800x600 bitmap file.  I
set it up as wallpaper, but noticed that one of the planets was strangely
cut off in its middle.  I assumed it was the product of a bad download, and
deleted it.  Then I saw this wallpaper problem topic, and downloaded it again.
This time I got that enormously helpful error message.  But it worked last
time!

I took the memory shortage hint that someone posted to heart and closed up all
my other apps except Program Manager (With the apps running I had 72% free
resources and about 506K memory on my 1 MB RAM 12MHz 286).  With the apps gone
(78% free resources, 576KB available) the bitmap loaded in.  So it was the
lack of memory, it seems.  But the planet was still truncated.

Now here's the really strange part:
I decided to edit the bitmap using Paintbrush, and when I loaded it in, it was
different than the version appearing as background.  In Paintbrush's version
the truncated planet was in the bottom corner, where, apparently, it was
supposed to be.  What was happening was that Control Panel was placing the
bottom half of the bitmap at the top of the screen and vice-versa!  (Could it
have been trying to tile the bmp, despite my having selected "center"?)

The only other 800x600 bmp I have (wet-t --- Sorry, it's the only one I've
found) works fine with no problems.  But then it is in B&W and thus much
smaller.

FYI: I'm using a 512K ATI (No 256 color driver @#$%@#$ !!! :-)  VGAWONDER card
with their 800x600x16 driver.  (Could it be the driver's fault? Or is this
problem the product of a short-sighted machine that holds max. 1 MB total RAM?)

Well, anyway, maybe this info will help someone figure out what exactly is
going on here, 'cause I sure would like to know.

Thank you,

Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu        "How does this .signature thing work, anyway?"   ;-)

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (10/10/90)

In article <10958.270fce37@ecs.umass.edu> daly@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>I have some more data for the "can't use xxxxx.bmp as wallpaper" problem:
>

>FYI: I'm using a 512K ATI (No 256 color driver @#$%@#$ !!! :-)  VGAWONDER card
>with their 800x600x16 driver.  (Could it be the driver's fault? Or is this
>problem the product of a short-sighted machine that holds max. 1 MB total RAM?)

I'm fairly certain that your problem is related to the ATI board you're using,
and more specifically, to the driver itself.

I had a similar flip-flop of top to bottom with my OEM version of the ATI
card. I was using their new SVGA drivers that I had just downloaded direct
from their bulletin board in Toronto. I reinstalled it according to their
instructions and still had the same behavior. I suspect they still have
a bug in their new drivers. I do know that when I changed my VGA card to
one that supported Windows 3.0 with 800x600x256 and 1024x768x256 drivers
my problem went away. I've been happy ever since.

Incidentally, the system I experienced this behavior on was a Micronix 386/25
system that I have at home.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                 arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (10/11/90)

In article <58114@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:
>In article <10958.270fce37@ecs.umass.edu> daly@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>>
>>I have some more data for the "can't use xxxxx.bmp as wallpaper" problem:
>>
>>FYI: I'm using a 512K ATI (No 256 color driver @#$%@#$ !!! :-)  VGAWONDER card
>>with their 800x600x16 driver.  (Could it be the driver's fault? Or is this
>>problem the product of a short-sighted machine that holds max. 1 MB total RAM?)
>>
>I'm fairly certain that your problem is related to the ATI board you're using,
>and more specifically, to the driver itself.
>
>I had a similar flip-flop of top to bottom with my OEM version of the ATI
>card. ......

I too, have seen these problems with *my* ATI OEM card.  Guess ATI isn't as
great as PC Magazine thinks...

    JWKIII
*  \|/ John William Keating, III >Ragnorak< keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu \|/  *
* --*=========================  //////\\\\\\  =========================*-- *
*  /|\         "Wands don't kill people, people kill people."         /|\  *

jamesc@ashtate (James Chuang) (10/11/90)

I have a PS/2 model 80 at home, true BLUE VGA.  And sometimes when I swap
wallpaper, it cuts the wallpaper in two, and put the bottom half on the
top half the screen, and vice versa.  I suspect there is some obscure bug
in low memory conditions, since this only happens when I'm running many other
apps...

As a new thread:
In the past week, I had to drag out my compaq setup disk, since my CMOS memory
have been trashed by windows about 3 times.  The machine acts as the battery's
been disconnected.  This is on a compaq portable 386 with a VGA card in the
expansion chasis.  Anyone's seen this behavior?  The link seems to be running
LIST.COM in a dos window......
thanks
jamesc
/* all opinions are my, and nobody cares.... */

korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) (10/12/90)

In article <1392@ashton.UUCP> jamesc@ashton.UUCP (James Chuang) writes:

>In the past week, I had to drag out my compaq setup disk, since my CMOS memory
>have been trashed by windows about 3 times.  The machine acts as the battery's
>been disconnected.  This is on a compaq portable 386 with a VGA card in the
>expansion chasis.  Anyone's seen this behavior?  The link seems to be running
>LIST.COM in a dos window......

I'm having a similar problem with a Mylex 386/25.  I wasn't sure I could
blame this on Windows though.  I do run LIST.COM in a window, but I haven't
noticed a connection.  I'll have to play around a bit.

    /\                      korpela@sunspot.ssl.berkeley.edu      Internet
   /__\  rioch              BKYAST::KORPELA    42215::KORPELA     DecNet
  /    \   of Chaos         korpela%bkyast@ucbjade                Bitnet
 (_____________________     <aka Eric Korpela>