[comp.windows.ms] Problems with STB EM-16 VGA board

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (10/10/90)

Recently I bought a STB EM-16 VGA board.  It is also sold the PowerGraph
VGA board.  It is based on the Tseng Labs 4000 chipset and uses AMI Bios. It
has 1MB on board.  It comes with great drivers (640x480x256,800x600x256,
1024x768x256) for windows 3.0.  My problem:  I have a WD1006/SR2 (RLL) HD/FD
controller, and a ST277R (65M) drive.  My system is a 386SX with Pheonix BIOS
(Chicony motherboard).  I have disabled bios on my drive controller.  When
the system boots up a different sound beep sound right before bootup, and
when my system is up, I can't write to the drive.  When I replace my VGA card
with my old EGA card, the problem goes away.  Is this a problem with my
VGA card?  Or is this just a incompatibility between the Tseng labs chip set
and my controller.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

jwhite@com50.c2s.mn.org (Jeff White) (10/12/90)

In article <836@redford.UUCP> bill@redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
>Recently I bought a STB EM-16 VGA board.  It is also sold the PowerGraph
>VGA board.  It is based on the Tseng Labs 4000 chipset and uses AMI Bios. It
>has 1MB on board.  It comes with great drivers (640x480x256,800x600x256,
>1024x768x256) for windows 3.0.  My problem:  I have a WD1006/SR2 (RLL) HD/FD
>controller, and a ST277R (65M) drive.  My system is a 386SX with Pheonix BIOS
>(Chicony motherboard).  I have disabled bios on my drive controller.  When
>the system boots up a different sound beep sound right before bootup, and
>when my system is up, I can't write to the drive.  When I replace my VGA card
>with my old EGA card, the problem goes away.  Is this a problem with my
>VGA card?  Or is this just a incompatibility between the Tseng labs chip set
>and my controller.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I had similar problems with interrupts with a STB EM-16 (using a ET3000AX
chip).  As it turns out, old EGA used INT 2, and to maintain full
compatibility with EGA, so does the STB VGA card.  However, INT 2 is used
as the cascade interrupt for the slave 8259.  The solution might be to move
the IRQ2 jumper on the board.  On the EM-16 I have, its jumper J3, check
your documentation.

--
Jeff White                          |       {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!com50!jwhite
Com Squared Systems, Inc.           |       jwhite@c2s.mn.org