[comp.windows.ms] 3Com/Ethernet problem

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (10/10/90)

I am trying to run NCSA Telnet on a 386 connected to our network through
a 3Com Ethernet board. It works outside, but not inside Windows 3. That
is, inside Windows, the hardware seems no to be recognized, since I can
not establish a connection to the network. Once I get out of Win 3, and
after trying to connect from Win3, I cannot connect now from DOS, suggesting
that Win3 has touched some hardware parameters. In fact, after this, the
board will not work even after a Ctrl-alt-del boot, I need a hardware reset
to be able to use the board again from DOS.

This situation hold if I load the drivers before loading Win3 (as recommended)
or if I load them while in the Win3 environment.

Thanks for any help or hint.

Raul

Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901 \ Fax: (804)-924-6270

rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no (Rodrigo Lopez) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.010430.9732@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) writes:
> I am trying to run NCSA Telnet on a 386 connected to our network
through
> a 3Com Ethernet board. It works outside, but not inside Windows 3.
That
> is, inside Windows, the hardware seems no to be recognized, since I
can
> not establish a connection to the network. Once I get out of Win 3,
and
> after trying to connect from Win3, I cannot connect now from DOS,
suggesting
> that Win3 has touched some hardware parameters. In fact, after this,
the
> board will not work even after a Ctrl-alt-del boot, I need a hardware
reset
> to be able to use the board again from DOS.
>
> This situation hold if I load the drivers before loading Win3 (as
recommended)
> or if I load them while in the Win3 environment.
>
> Thanks for any help or hint.
>
> Raul
>
> Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet:
raul@virginia.edu
> Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone:
(804)-982-2907
> University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901 \ Fax:
(804)-924-6270

Ok. What you describe is exactly a problem I was having with PC-NFS and
Windows, though only in
386 enhanced mode. In stadard mode everything worked fine. Have you
tryed?
By now I have PC-NFS working properly under windows in all modes. The
problem, at least with
our machines, was IRQ conflicts between the 3Com Etherlink cards and
COM2. Experimenting with this
showed that if I disabled COM2 and used IRQ4 or IRQ5 for the cards, I
could run windows 3 in 386 enhanced
mode  without any problems. Now, I cannot tell you why all this because
I don't know. But check
the settings of your IRQ's and I'm sure you'll solve your problem.

****
* RODRIGO LOPEZ SERRANO              Biotechnology Centre of Oslo
*
* Tel: 47-2-958766                   Gaustadalleen 21
*
* Fax: 47-02-694130                  P.B. 1125 Blindern
*
* rodrigo.lopez@use.uio.no           0316 Oslo 3 Norway
*
* rodrigo.lopez%use.uio.uninett@nac.no