[comp.windows.ms] DOS in a window problems

jjs@sei.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Stewart) (10/10/90)

Folks,

     I've been trying to put DOS in a window on my 386 system, but haven't
been having any luck.  The pif file is identical to one that worked on
another system.

     When I run the pif file, I get an error message that says, in effect,
"There is insufficient memory to run another high-resolution application.
Close the current high-resolution application (I assume this means Windows)
first."  I then get a DOS window that is 1 line high.

     Running command.com, and then hitting Alt-Enter, gives the same result.

     I have 4 meg in the system, and at the time of the error, there was
3.2meg free, so when the "insufficient memory" error comes up, I get the
feeling that it's talking about video memory.  My display card is the old
ATI VIP VGA.

     Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

jjs@sei.cmu.edu

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/12/90)

In article <8966@fy.sei.cmu.edu> jjs@sei.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Stewart) writes:
>Folks,
>
>     I've been trying to put DOS in a window on my 386 system, but haven't
>been having any luck.  The pif file is identical to one that worked on
>another system.
>
>     When I run the pif file, I get an error message that says, in effect,
>"There is insufficient memory to run another high-resolution application.
>Close the current high-resolution application (I assume this means Windows)
>first."  I then get a DOS window that is 1 line high.
>
>     Running command.com, and then hitting Alt-Enter, gives the same result.
>
>     I have 4 meg in the system, and at the time of the error, there was
>3.2meg free, so when the "insufficient memory" error comes up, I get the
>feeling that it's talking about video memory.  My display card is the old
>ATI VIP VGA.
>
>     Any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jeff
>
>jjs@sei.cmu.edu

I don't think it means video memory exactly, but memory to save the contents
of the window so it can be re-drawn when restored from icon, or if occluded
by another window. This is like a backing store.

Straight text uses the lease memory, CGA, EGA, and VGA use more and more memory
for a backing store. There are settings in the pif editor (advanced settings I
think) for determining what type of store to use. Try text, and see if that
helps.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

osy@stekt.oulu.fi (Otso Sakari Yl|nen) (10/12/90)

I've been having similar kinds of problems with my old ATI VIP VGA as
Jeffrey Stewart.  I've also got error messages like "You cannot run
this application while other high resolution applications are running
on the foreground." (I wrote the message by heart - it may not be
exactly right.).  They appear when I doubleclick on an iconized DOS
application which is set running on the background.  Besides that, the
application actually doesn't run on background and if it's iconized
the icon starts blinking after a while.

It seems to be possible to have an EGA DOS program running in a window
in my configuration but normal textual applications won't work.  And
some programs can only be *shown* in a window but *not run*.  For
example, it's possible to show a Word Perfect graphic picture in a
window but it's not possible to give any commands to WP while in a
window.  And again, it's not possible to run WP in text mode in a window.
I think I've tested all combinations of the PIF display options
without any improvement.

My equipment:	Hauppauge 386-16
		5 Megs of RAM
		ATI VIP VGA in IBM analog mode
		Quadram analog/digital monitor in analog mode
The monitor gives VGA while in analog mode and only EGA while in
digital mode.

	Otso Yl|nen
	Liisantie 1 H 30	e-mail:         osy@stekt.oulu.fi
	SF-90560 Oulu		Nokia vax-mail: oylonen@tnclus.tele.nokia.fi
	Finland
	tel. +358 (9)81 340 904	office: +358 (9)81 500 131