[comp.windows.ms] FRACTINT for Windows

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (10/10/90)

I noticed a Windows 3.0 version of FRACTINT on Compuserve a few days
ago... Anyone have a chance to download it and give it a whirl yet?
I'd do it but my download connection (Quick B) is usually pretty
dismal, so I usually wait until someone puts it on cica...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (10/11/90)

> I noticed a Windows 3.0 version of FRACTINT on Compuserve a few days
> ago... Anyone have a chance to download it and give it a whirl yet?

Ronald, a warning:  I uploaded WINFRA.ZIP to MSWIN Library #1 (the "New
Uploads" library) on October 8th.  Apparantly at some point about 24 hours
after the upload to the MSWIN library, that copy (and about six other files
in that library) became "corrupted" - the file could be downloaded, but
the EXEcutable wouldn't unZIP out of the file (CRC error).  Unfortunately,
random "corrupted files" are a fact of life on Compuserve.  As the
uploader of the file, I was able to alter the descriptive text to a
"Don't Download this copy" message and send a fresh copy to the SYSOPs,
but some unknown number of the 216 downloaders are probably mad at
Compuserve, Microsoft, *and* me right now (Yo, guys, that's a Compuserve
problem!).  Hopefully, by the time you read this, the good copy, with a
fresh description text, will have already replaced the dud.

At any rate, there is a good copy of the file on Compuserve over in
the COMART Library #1 (WINFRA.ZIP).

Now then, with that out of the way:  WINFRACT is a port of Fractint-for-DOS's
fractal engine to the Win 3.0 environment, with the front-end (command
interface) and back-end (display) code replaced with Windows-specific
code.  This initial release includes every fractal type found in Fractint
14.0 and some, but not all, of the doodads (Biomorphs, Decomposition,
and [if your video driver supports 256 simultaneous colors] color-cycling,
but no inversion or 3D routines yet, for example).  No source yet, because
we will be "synching" the source uploads with Fractint-for-Dos,
and we had to modify the common routines some to get them to work in
non-DOS, protected mode.

*I* think it's pretty good, but then I'm biased <grin>.  Version 1.0 of
Fractint-for-Windows is *not* as good as version 14.0 of FFD, but it's
a lot better than version 1.0 of FFD was.  Be kind - this is my first
Windows program.

Alas, my access to this net involves using a client's account and TYMNET
on his dime, so I limit my access, and I really can't use it to upload files
to the nets - if anybody else can, please do so.

Bert Tyler
bert@helix.nih.gov

virus@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jean Michael Liddle) (10/11/90)

I too would be interested in any comments on this.  PLEASE, would
some kind sole post this on cica.cica.indiana.edu or another anonymous
ftp site (poor college students don't have free CompuServ accounts ...).

Many thanks in advance!

-- Jean

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (10/11/90)

What forum and Lib?  I will check it out.

Chris

russell@spdcc.COM (Tim Russell) (10/11/90)

     I just downloaded FractInt from a BBS yesterday, and will (hopefully)
upload it to cica by late afternoon, 10/11.  It's very nice.

--
  Tim Russell        Person at large        russell@ursa-major.spdcc.com
            "...my moral standing is lying down.." - NIN

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (10/11/90)

I will go home and check it out.  It may still be in the preview buffer.

Chris Kinsman
Sysop MSWIN, MSEXCEL, WINAPA, WINAPB

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Deep Blue) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct11.023244.2288@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> virus@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jean Michael Liddle) writes:
>I too would be interested in any comments on this.  PLEASE, would
>some kind sole post this on cica.cica.indiana.edu or another anonymous
>ftp site (poor college students don't have free CompuServ accounts ...).
>
>Many thanks in advance!
>
>-- Jean

Is there actually something out there to do it? I never heard or saw it.
Let me know too, if and where..
thanks

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (10/13/90)

I am a poor college student but I do have a free compuserve account!

If someone could tell me how to post a file to an anonymous FTP site I would
try and put this up for you...

Chris